jadotVille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Due for release on netflix of July 9th I'm led to believe.
    Are those Three Stars on his brassard?

Comment

Siege at JadotvilleLike Page
      Yesterday at 12:51 ·
      We are delighted to announce that Minister of State at Defence, Paul Kehoe has authorised the creation of the award of Presidential Unit Citation for the men of A Company who fought at Jadotville. This is a form of military honour awarded to a military unit rather than an individual who acquits themselves in combat against greater odds by demonstrating valour and professionalism of a high order and providing service well beyond the call of duty. Minister Kehoe is to be commended for his compassion and good sense in handling of this matter. Also, Kevin 'Boxer' Moran TD has given assistance of a high order in his tenacity in putting forth the case before the Minister. Leo Quinlan, son of Comdt Pat Quinlan and John Gorman of the Jadotville veteran's assoc have been unstinting in their support and action in making this unprecedented and unique military honour come about. This will mark a new chapter in Defence Forces history as there has never been such an award before in the history of the state.
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

"The story behind Jamie Dornan's new movie
        Show: Neil Delamere's Sunday Best
        Declan Power joins Neil to talk about writing the book that inspired Jamie Dornan's new film 'The Siege of Jadotville'."

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
          I thought he was a provo sympathiser? from Tipp? can't recall the name, but there was a big to do about him back in the late 80's...
          Fr Paddy Ryan
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            Fr Paddy Ryan
            Thats him!! I think Margaret thatcher buggered up any chance the extradition proceedings from Ireland might proceed.
            As far as I can recall, he ran in the European elections at some stage, didn't get elected, but got a large enough vote in Munster all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion
              Questions ....

If I was to read just one book on this subject which one should it be?

What decoration, if any, are actual unit members at the time covered by the award able to wear? A ribbon on a previously awarded medal (UN) or no personal award.
              I read the one by Rose Doyle, Heroes of Jadotville I think its called, a few years back, Its pretty good, although I think I found the layout a bit unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
                Thats him!! I think Margaret thatcher buggered up any chance the extradition proceedings from Ireland might proceed.
                As far as I can recall, he ran in the European elections at some stage, didn't get elected, but got a large enough vote in Munster all the same.
                Was supported by now TD Seamus Healy.... Healy went on to be Mayor of Clonmel and having shown his Republican colours was not invited to the Shamrock Parade in Kickham barracks, the DF was not represented on the reviewing stand for the Patricks day parade and the Troop passing the review stand did not salute due to his presence. Was the last Shamrock Parade held in Kickham Bks.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

If you can get your hands on it "No white feather" by Sean o Foghlu is a personal account of what it was like during the battle, the run up to it and the aftermath.
                  Sean is still with us albeit retired and his son is still serving.A true gent and a legend in his own lifetime.A privelage and an honour to know him.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

There used to be a Sgt in the FCA in Cork in the 80s who was one of those held captive after the ceasefire. He was always popular at GOC inspections, where his medals always drew compliment and respect from whatever general or colonel was present. At the time many at that rank would have been young Lts with ONUC. While the Authorities may have wanted the whole episode to go away, those serving, at all ranks felt differently.
                    He never told stories to us about the Congo. He didn't need to. The medal was all we needed to know.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      If you can get your hands on it "No white feather" by Sean o Foghlu is a personal account of what it was like during the battle, the run up to it and the aftermath.
                      Sean is still with us albeit retired and his son is still serving.A true gent and a legend in his own lifetime.A privelage and an honour to know him.
                      DCU has a copy in their lending library, I'll continue my search for a copy online

No white feather: a soldier's review of military life in the Irish Army & U. N. Service in Belgian Congo, including the Battle of Jadotville 1961
                      Ó Foghlú, Seán
                      Book. English.
                      Published Dunboyne, Co. Meath, Ireland: Book Republic, 2011

Available at DCU.

DCU – One available in Main Lending 967.51031/OFO
                      Barcode Shelfmark Loan type Status
                      100080855 Main Lending 967.51031/OFO 3 Weeks Available

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                        Jim Cusack wrote it so you know its bullshit.
                        Jim "AK 46" Cusack.
                        Last edited by terrier; 11 July 2016, 01:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion View Post
                          DCU has a copy in their lending library, I'll continue my search for a copy online

No white feather: a soldier's review of military life in the Irish Army & U. N. Service in Belgian Congo, including the Battle of Jadotville 1961
                          Ó Foghlú, Seán
                          Book. English.
                          Published Dunboyne, Co. Meath, Ireland: Book Republic, 2011

Available at DCU.

DCU – One available in Main Lending 967.51031/OFO
                          Barcode Shelfmark Loan type Status
                          100080855 Main Lending 967.51031/OFO 3 Weeks Available
                          I have one if anyone innerested.

Comment

I hope the production stimulates a debate about the merits of the operational/political decision taken to send the detachment to an isolated/untenable position and takes the focus off PQ who appears to have been scapegoated . Let history be unkind to all those who are culpable for putting the unit in a completely impossible predicament be they military or political.
                            Jado kicked off only a few short years after Dien Phen Pu and the shortcomings of such expeditions would have been quite topical at the time.
                            One has to wonder if any lessons were learned from Jado given the loss of Ptes Doherty & Joyce in 1981 when they were placed in an isolated and unsupported position.

Comment

The Army appeared to be determined not to learn from the large scale global disturbance, the 1939-1945 event, about being properly equipped. 17 years after WW2, they went to war barely equipped to fight in 1939. It's a miracle that they had as few casualties as they did.

Comment

Let history be unkind to all those who are culpable for putting the unit in a completely impossible predicament be they military or political.
                                Given most of those in question and their political masters are dead and buried, the wrongs of the past righted and the fact we didn't lose anyone during this action its really a non story.

The Army appeared to be determined not to learn from the large scale global disturbance, the 1939-1945 event, about being properly equipped. 17 years after WW2, they went to war barely equipped to fight in 1939. It's a miracle that they had as few casualties as they did
                                I think you have look at the army in context in this period. We were in effect a third world nation whose primary income was that which emigrants sent back from foreign shores, the country hadn't a bob and the DF was basically an unfunded dumping ground.

Succesive Fianna Fail governments under De Valera were kept submissive as they were terrified that the army could still be rallied to overthrow them should they be required, so.. give them nothing just in case it comes back to bite you.

The Congo was the trigger for improvements in equipment for the army which along with the troubles and further UN missions finally brought around some progress, but as usual piecemeal and very wasteful.

Had we partaken in global conflict the experience might have been different but as for reasons discussed in the past, by not participating it put the DF back by 20 years, which took another 30 to recover from.

Comment

Working...
                                X