jadotVille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it's great they're getting their recognition and it's great that it was in motion before the film as you say, but there's no doubt that the actions of the troops was ignored.
    The DF of the time had a policy of sorts to that effect it seems. Think also that Crew of a naval vessel that caught fire saved the ship, but were not rewarded for their efforts until after one had died, and the rest were very elderly. When people die doing their job, its easier to award medals. No narrative to question.
    But if doing their job in the face of dramatic adversity, succeeding in getting everyone home alive, in spite of the incompetence of those above... well that just isn't a story they were comfortable publicising.
    The DF in 1960 was ill equipped for a defence force of 1940. Someone decided to send this ill equipped, ill prepared force overseas, piggy-backing on the goodwill (but not support, militarily) of the larger military nations, who were busy playing their own political games.
    The average public at the time knew nothing of the Army life, unless they were living in an Army town. That suited the Defence Forces of the time. Then coffins carrying Irish Young men started arriving home, killed by the people they were supposed to have been sent to help. The public woke up. They lined the streets to mourn the dead.
    Jadotville was inconvenient, our European Neighbours turn on us in a country they had been removed from. This wasn't "balubas" with bows and arrows, as in Niemba. This was a militia better armed than the Irish Troops, supported by European mercenaries. It didn't suit the narrative.
    So much for the UN.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• #TheSeigeofJadotville started trending on twitter in the last hour. Doing quite well with joe public.

Comment

• Army seems to have a policy of downplaying any shit that happens abroad, just in case the government of the day looses its nerve and brings the troops home.
        Also in Jadotville they were bacially taken on the despicable Belgians

Comment

• Saw the movie,f**k the anoraks, give it a break "based" on a true story etc, i loved every second of it. one of the only times i have ever heard an irish audience applaud and cheer at the end of a movie.

movies@swords

in the Q&A Dave Fanning was crap. such an utterly stupid line of questioning ive not seen in ages. repeatedly hitting Jamie Dornan with 50 shades references and if having such a good looking actor would increase the marketability of the movie etc. knob.
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Morpheus agree with you saw it in Santry last night few exers & serving people at it great reception at the end .
            Bohs till I die

Comment

• Dave Fanning is still alive????

Comment

• Loved the director not faffing about when asked did he think the lads got a raw deal when they returned.... not pulling punches like the producers vague PC answer , he says "they were shafted!"
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by bohs fan View Post
                  Morpheus agree with you saw it in Santry last night few exers & serving people at it great reception at the end .
                  Opportunity missed Bohs - I was there too and agree about the reception. Pity they couldn't get the live feed going but, judging by the feedback on Dave Fanning, we probably dodged a bullet !
                  “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                  ― Thucydides

Comment

• @shaqra, the SAR people in the Don have never been unrecognised. They have the most DSMs for a start and even in the cynical Don, they were held in high respect for doing some really scary rescues in single-engined Alouettes....

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqra View Post
                      Opportunity missed Bohs - I was there too and agree about the reception. Pity they couldn't get the live feed going but, judging by the feedback on Dave Fanning, we probably dodged a bullet !
                      Hello Shaqra yes that's a pity were you in the area for it as judging by your location I would think you may not be a local but could be wrong. Yep reckon we dodged it all right I stayed to listen to a bit of it , were you one of three lads sitting up at the back on the right ? A thought struck me during the film that a few of us of a certain vintage would have probably fired most of the weapons the Irish lads were using what do you reckon.
                      Bohs till I die

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        @shaqra, the SAR people in the Don have never been unrecognised. They have the most DSMs for a start and even in the cynical Don, they were held in high respect for doing some really scary rescues in single-engined Alouettes....
                        Understood but I was referring to the general public. I find the sudden enthusiasm on the part of Joe Public for "righting the wrongs" done to the Defence Forces to be somewhat nauseating. In the 80's and 90's we were abused and villified - not by DFHQ but by Joe Public. The media treated deafness claims as some sort of scam and our meager budget was pillaged for School buses, harbour upgrades and every local scam going. We were binmen, bus drivers (I see that canard is raising it's ugly head again) and tanker drivers. We even had to chip ice off the streets because it the local traders were too bloody lazy to do it themselves. (I had to stop one of my platoon from braining an usher at the Central bank who was trying to instruct him where to sweep the snow).

Jadotville has been in the public domain for 50 years - where were the press articles, where were in the campaigns in the 60's, 70's and 80's ? The same hypocrites who were happy to shunt their daughters off to the Magdalen laundries and their sons to Artane are the ones who were "ashamed" of the "surrender" of A Company. Irish society - not some obscure agency or bureaucrat - Irish society.

Forgive the rant - I'm off to renew my Netflix subscription. My aim is to watch Jadotville at least as many times as I've watched Paths of Glory, The Desert Fox and the boxed set of Band of Brothers.
                        “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                        ― Thucydides

Comment

• Originally posted by bohs fan View Post
                          Hello Shaqra yes that's a pity were you in the area for it as judging by your location I would think you may not be a local but could be wrong. Yep reckon we dodged it all right I stayed to listen to a bit of it , were you one of three lads sitting up at the back on the right ? A thought struck me during the film that a few of us of a certain vintage would have probably fired most of the weapons the Irish lads were using what do you reckon.
                          Nope - not a local. Travelled in from Kildare for it - handiest Cinema for the M50. I was up front on the right. As for vintage you are spot on - I was thinking as well that most of us had done TOETs on most of the weapons as either PDF or FCA (Before our reserve colleagues have a fit I'm referring to the organisation that was in existence when the Bren and the Rifle No4 Mk IIF were in service) . If I were to be kind I would exclude the Vickers but then again .................. !
                          ― Thucydides

Comment

• Saw it last night and thought it was a good show, no really stupid Oirish accents except maybe for CCOB. The showdown at the end in Baldonnel(?) was a bit unrealistic and I'm sure the Black Lives Matter lads will have a hissy fit about the amount of Katangese causalities.
                            You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

• Yeah well if punching a general and having your ar$e shaved by a crashing chopper is what was required by "hollywood", to get this made... then im ok by it

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                                Saw it last night and thought it was a good show, no really stupid Oirish accents except maybe for CCOB. The showdown at the end in Baldonnel(?) was a bit unrealistic and I'm sure the Black Lives Matter lads will have a hissy fit about the amount of Katangese causalities.
                                To be fair, Cruiser did speak as if he had a hot potato in his mouth. Try and find one of his appearances on the LLS as an example.

Conor Cruise O'Brien describes his life as as a diplomat, historian, politician and journalist.
                                Last edited by na grohmiti; 21 September 2016, 19:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X