Thanks Thanks:  139
Likes Likes:  348
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: jadotVille

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    An ex-member of "A" Coy on Facebook has said that they never had Vicker's HMG's mounted on land-rovers,

and that the only Vicker's in "A" Coy at Jadotville were ground mounted.
    Rose Doyle's book suggests there were light machine guns mounted on A Coy jeeps. The coy had two Ford armoured cars with Vickers guns mounted on them and four ground mounted Vickers. One of the first engagements from the irish side was from a mounted machine gun on one of A Coy's jeeps. So perhaps they had Bren Guns mounted on Jeeps, as opposed to Vickers guns mounted on land rovers?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    historically technically inaccurate it may be in some parts - but the publicity a movie like this can garner for the publics opinion of the DF UN role will, imho outweigh these issues... for the likes of those in the know however, we will probably sit and tut about the mistakes.

im reading the book at the minute but didn't know that the chopper crash landed nor that the fouga sustained bullet holes in the underside of the fuselage. (as seen in the trailer)
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

3. Likes Shaqra, na grohmití, DeV, ias, ODIN, Flamingo liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fouga flew into a wall of irish lead many times, and while it did not disable the aircraft, it did mean he did less strafing at low level, and more bombing from high.

5. Likes DeV, Flamingo liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    historically technically inaccurate it may be in some parts - but the publicity a movie like this can garner for the publics opinion of the DF UN role will, imho outweigh these issues... for the likes of those in the know however, we will probably sit and tut about the mistakes.
    Spot on. Watching the trailer I'm amazed that they have achieved the level of accuracy they have for what is a relatively low budget movie. There will be minor errors throughout - only noticed by Exers and Military anoraks - but that makes it all the more fun. But think of what Morpheus just pointed out - we will be watching an internationally distributed movie about the Defence Forces. It's a movie - not a documentary. I guarantee you that 3 years ago no-one could have dreamed we'd see such a thing.
    “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
    ― Thucydides

7. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The catch all will always be "based on a true story"

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hollywood always takes license. I've already seen criticism of the "shooting the bell" scene, that it just didn't happen. The Fouga pilot did acknowledge later that the vigourous fire compelled him to go higher.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    British Army had Pinewood and Ardmore studios to tidy things for them over the years,
    Don't worry about the little things as long as it tells the story and keeps the stage Orish to a minimum.
    Last edited by sofa; 13th September 2016 at 16:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be interesting to see what comments surviving members of "A:" Coy have to say about it.

After all they were there.

12. Likes apod liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    They received it quite well at the premiere in Galway I understand.

14. Likes Connaught Stranger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully they show the shoddy treatment they got from the military authorities too
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

16. Likes na grohmití, Buck, apod liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as it is made clear that Cruiser is as much the bad guy as the Belgian Mercenaries.

18. Likes sofa, pym, Buck, ias, danno, Flamingo, Herald liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "To Katanga and Back by Dr. Conor Cruise O'Brien.

Publisher: London : Faber and Faber, 2015.

Summary - "July 1960: The newly independent Congo is hit by secession in its province Katanga. June 1961: Dr Conor Cruise O'Brien arrives in Katanga as Special Representative of UN Secretary General Dag Hammarskjold, his task to arrest and repatriate the mercenaries and foreign interests propping up Tshombe. This book is about his experiences in Katanga."

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocIRL View Post
    Hopefully they show the shoddy treatment they got from the military authorities too
    I reckon the unit/members are entitled to an formal apology of some nature.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    ." today is a very emotional day for me....exactly 55 years ago, in the Congo, I was involved in a massive bloody battle, which was later to be called The Siege of Jadotville......I was part of a small Irish UN unit of approx 154 who were attacked by a force of 3,000 Katangese,led by French & British mercenaries......

....I can still hear the long,loud bursts of deadly machine gun fire and the whoosh of exploding mortars and the absolute fear that gripped each & every one of us.....death was all round us......

..we had been attending 07.30 Mass when they launched the first wave of attack.......within seconds, we were fighting for our very lives, which is a horrible situation.....

....luckily our superb officer commanding Comdt Pat Quinlan had made us dig trenches......otherwise, without a shadow of a doubt, we'd have been overrun and massacred........

....for 5 long, torturous, sweaty days and cold , fearful nights they attacked us non stop....they even used a Fouga Magister jet fighter which continually bombed and strafed us ( first and only time Irish troops were so attacked ).......during the day the heat was unbearable, by night it was extremely cold....the smell of fear and tension hung over us all the time ......

...as the hours slowly ticked past our water and food rations became depleted .....the thirst was maybe the worst....and we were quickly running out of ammunition.....

....a multi national reinforcement task force tried to break through but failed with a heavy loss of life.....

...a Swedish air force UN helicopter attempted to resupply us and managed to land under a massive barrage of fire....but the fresh water it was carrying for us was contaminated.... and then the helicopter was destroyed by the jet fighter......can you just imagine how we felt ......

....morale at this stage was rock bottom, no toilets either and the smell was just stomach churning.... and all the time we were under constant fire. you couldn't relax for even a second... after 5 days we simply had nothing left and then too there was the real threat of cannibalism.......

.....after those 5 days & nights of sheer,utter hell,our commanding officer negotiated a cease fire and we were taken prisoner of war ...

..though we suffered casualties, we had no fatalities thankfully....must have been the prayers !.....it also transpired that our attackers had lost 300 men.......

.....we were held hostage or prisoner of war for about a month....that was an other frightening, tense time but that story'd take about an other hour........

....even after release, I was involved in 4 major actions ....some of which resulted in huge loss of life.......

....altogether, I served 3 tours of duty in the Congo in the early 1960s......

......returning home to Ireland we were badly treated, we were taunted and called cowards ( because they didn't fight to the death, seemingly )..... the bravery of the men was never recognised until some words by the then Taoiseach Brian Cowan at an event in Baldonnel on the 50th anniversary......

....sadly, at least 40 of the unit are since deceased....some tragically and in dire circumstances.....there was never any support offered for post traumatic stress......

....this Saturday, the Government is making a late,late effort at recognition but, I suspect that's only because of the film The Siege of Jadotville is being released on Monday September 19th.....

......really, I'm one of the lucky ones......I survived to tell the tale & am very fortunate now to be surrounded by a loving wife and family, great old comrades and friends............

.....but the siege of Jadotville still haunts me, the real thing, not the movie..... "

( Apart from Michael Tighe, above, the following is the list of Longford men who fought at Jadotville 55 years ago this week : John Broderick, Michael Broderick, Charles Cooley,John Devine, Patrick Donnelly, John Dowler,John Flynn, Michael Greene, William Hughes, Patrick Monaghan, James Mc Ardle, Anthony Mc Nerney, Christopher Powell, John Purtell and Martin Quinlan ).
    Taken from "Humans of Longford" on Facebook.

22. Thanks Flamingo, ias, Galloglass, Connaught Stranger thanked for this post
    Likes Bravo20, Bayern Fan, GoneToTheCanner liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Facebook
    Here's a list of cinemas that Jadotville will be showing at from September 19. So keep a close eye out on your local listings if you are hoping to catch it on the big screen
    Light House Cinema
    IMC Athlone
    IMC Carlow
    IMC Santry
    IMC Dun Laoghaire
    IMC Savoy
    EYE Galway
    GATE Cork
    Movies @ Dundrum
    Movies @ Swords
    Movie House Dublin Road Belfast
    ARC Drogheda
    Movies @ Gorey
    Century Letterkenny
    Derry Brunswick
    Eclipse Downpatrick
    IMC Ballymena
    IMC Enniskillen
    IMC Banbridge
    IMC Omagh
    From Sept 19th.

24. Thanks Flamingo, danno, Archimedes, Buck, bohs fan thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would the best way of honouring these men, be to name a Post, Battalion, or Company after then.???
    Last edited by sofa; 14th September 2016 at 17:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Name recruit platoons after them.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

27. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, apod liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    It appears to be easier to see this film outside the Republic. It's not listed for Newbridge, right beside the Curragh.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    It appears to be easier to see this film outside the Republic. It's not listed for Newbridge, right beside the Curragh.
    Quick look and it's out in Cork anyway next week.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    You'll have to go to Dundrum then

Here's a list of cinemas that Jadotville will be showing at from September 19. So keep a close eye out on your local listings if you are hoping to catch it on the big screen
    Light House Cinema
    IMC Athlone
    IMC Carlow
    IMC Santry
    IMC Dun Laoghaire
    IMC Savoy
    EYE Galway
    GATE Cork
    Movies @ Dundrum
    Movies @ Swords
    Movie House Dublin Road Belfast
    ARC Drogheda
    Movies @ Gorey
    Century Letterkenny
    Derry Brunswick
    Eclipse Downpatrick
    IMC Ballymena
    IMC Enniskillen
    IMC Banbridge
    IMC Omagh

31. Thanks terrier thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    carlow will do me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw someone about a special showing somewhere in Kildare

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    I saw someone about a special showing somewhere in Kildare
    From Facebook:

Barbara Geraghty‎
    to
    Irish Defence Forces - Old Photographs - 1922 to 2000
    Yesterday at 4:06pm ·

The Siege of Jadotville will be screened for I night only on Thursday 6 October at 8pm in the Riverbank Arts Centre, Newbridge.

Thanks to Mary Orford who inquired if the Riverbank would screen it
    “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
    ― Thucydides

35. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqra View Post
    From Facebook:

Barbara Geraghty‎
    to
    Irish Defence Forces - Old Photographs - 1922 to 2000
    Yesterday at 4:06pm ·

The Siege of Jadotville will be screened for I night only on Thursday 6 October at 8pm in the Riverbank Arts Centre, Newbridge.

Thanks to Mary Orford who inquired if the Riverbank would screen it
    Isn't that the night it goes up on Netflix?

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soldiers to be recognised for Jadotville bravery

Minister of State with Special Responsibility for Defence Paul Kehoe will today present military citations to soldiers from the midlands who fought in the siege of Jadotville in the Congo in 1961 and the next of kin of those who were on duty with the battalion.

Over 60 former soldiers and their families will attend a ceremony in Custume Barracks in Athlone.

The event will formally recognise the bravery of the soldiers 55 years after they were attacked while on UN duty in the region.

On 9 September 1961 soldiers from Athlone, Mullingar and Finner were on duty with the A Company of the 35th Infantry Battalion in the Congo when they came under fire at their UN post at Jadotville.

The unit endured continuous attacks from ground and air after they were surrounded by a large force supporting the breakaway province of Katanga.

For over 50 years the soldiers in Jadotville sought recognition for their heroic defence in an isolated outpost and today Mr Kehoe will present a presidential unit citation to the survivors and their families.

Wreaths will also be laid for deceased members of the unit.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0917/817187-jadotville/

38. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post

Thread Information