New Army enlisted SD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by X-RayOne
    somebody asked for suggestions how to improve/change SDs.....it's nice to dream. we've being doing it on the hover tank thread for years
    It may not be just a nice notion. About 4 weeks ago every member of our unit was measured, head, neck, chest, waist, hips and inside leg, it was a rush request from on high so maybe somebody wants us looking all shiney and new for 1916 celebrations.
    In reality they would probably put everyone in a new set of SDs for the commemorations anyway, so its a perfect time for something new
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Nope.That was for the new online clothing size roll for the DF. Those sizes will be entered on the PMS and will inform stock ordering and management going forward. Their are also plans for an electronic 245B.The reason it was a rush job is that the whole DF was supposed to have been sized by the end of July.Obviously that didn't happen.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I seriously wonder how this army can do anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by F_M View Post
          I seriously wonder how this army can do anything at all.
          Funnily enough they have been able to function since 1921.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
            Somehow i dont think any Irish soldier wants to look like a Brithish soldier!!!!!!!!!

An Irish uniform should be distinctly Irish. Peaked hats are a tradition going back to the founding of the National army in 1921.
            It was actually just the piper green colour and mandarin collar I was discussing in that post. Very Irish Citizen Army, who did actually have a uniform very like the R Irish ones in the picture, which are like the LI ones, which are like the RGJ ones,,,,,,,maybe a slouch hat as worn by the ICA and the various flying columns on top of that piper green, now that would be distinctly Irish. But you would probably harp on about Australia, Gurkha's, bloody British empire and all the rest. No pleasing some people.

However now that you mentioned "look like a British soldier!!!!!!", the Free State Army circa 1921 were all kitted out Tommy Atkins style. Looking exactly like the British army in fact. Peaked cap an all. So a bit of confusion is to be expected.

Mind you the DF still do today. Colour slightly different, cut, style, officers, OR's, peaked cap, all the same though, hard to tell the bloody difference sometimes. If one didn't know the little differences, one would think you look like a British soldier!!!!!!.

Faugh a Ballagh.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by FMP; 20 September 2014, 15:21.
            We travel not for trafficking alone,
            By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
            For lust of knowing what should not be known,
            We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

Couple of more for you to ponder.

Two Irish ones from circa 1938, handover of Spike island.

The three brit ones are circa 1914-1918.

"Holy Moses"

Same caps, same mandarin collar tunic, same breeches, same leather puttees, same leather bandolier, even the bloody spurs as worn by the chap in Brit b. his walking out dress.

Two sets of photos of two different armies taken 20 years apart, but the men in them look the same. Distinctly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, British
              Attached Files
              Last edited by FMP; 21 September 2014, 07:23.
              We travel not for trafficking alone,
              By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
              For lust of knowing what should not be known,
              We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

Any more word on this lads?

Have some mates who were on a course and saw the choices in the flesh... Apparently the stand collar looks the dogs bollocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                  Apparently the stand collar looks the dogs bollocks!
                  So old school high collar?!? Would look great to be fair...
                  What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Save shirts and ties being issued to many

Comment

I heard from a clothing stores source that 7 & 27 BN's are the only units that will be issued the new uniforms in time for easter 2016.if thats the case guess who they have in mind for all the ceremonials???
                      I also know that the new uniforms went on display in McKee Bks gym one day last week.I have yet to see what design they decided on.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        I have yet to see what design they decided on.
                        But you've been told which ones the winner I bet
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

As long as it has a first field dressing pocket discretely sown on the inside they can wear what they like...

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                            I heard from a clothing stores source that 7 & 27 BN's are the only units that will be issued the new uniforms in time for easter 2016.if thats the case guess who they have in mind for all the ceremonials???
                            I also know that the new uniforms went on display in McKee Bks gym one day last week.I have yet to see what design they decided on.
                            Interesting, I guess it would make financial sense that the RDF element of each unit however would most likely end up in the current SD1s. Weve already been told were tasked with the Parade this year.

Also saw photos of the new old stand collar uniform. it looks pretty sharp TBH
                            Last edited by morpheus; 27 January 2015, 11:55.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Will the ceremonial headress be changing anytime soon?

The current peaked type cap looks a bit drab.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                Will the ceremonial headress be changing anytime soon?

The current peaked type cap looks a bit drab.
                                Yes....

Comment

Working...
                                X