No announcement yet.

T[h]anks or no t[h]anks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They had too high a C of G for comfort but this wasn't an insurmountable issue but no-one wanted to solve it so it was easier to dump them. How any credible army could **** up the best light truck ever built, is beyond me. they also had a Unimog wrecker in Cork that was allowed to rot.

Comment

I think I recall reading they were quickly restricted to 30/35 mph due to the C of G, real risk they'd turn over if cornered above that speed.

Comment

They had many issues the biggest being its not always right to try put an armoured body on a truck chassis and expect it to be a state of the art APC.

Brakes,Handling, CoG, access Door , cramped, limited protection, again the were passed out to the reserve who used them as a training tool, 3 Cav in Clonmel having five, they ended up as hard tragets or falling plates, no love lost among the users
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

the Unimog truck is among the best in the world but this was one of it's few failures.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest View Post
            I think I recall reading they were quickly restricted to 30/35 mph due to the C of G, real risk they'd turn over if cornered above that speed.
            One of the UN contingents in Somalia was equipped with them (or a version of) during the Blackhawk down fiasco. They were described, correctly as a skip turned upside down, given wheels and a turret stuck on top.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

There were 2 Unimogs in the vehicle park in Cootehill (Co Cavan) Military post when I arrived for my first border posting in late 1973. I was there for 12 weeks, the Uinmogs never moved during that time
              Last edited by B Inman; 15 October 2014, 20:26.

Comment

They should have taken off the hulls and refitted the excellent chassis as trucks, GS, instead of letting them rot. Unimog trucks are highly prized for their ability to go anywhere, on a par with landrovers.

Comment

Speaking of no t(h)anks, because CVRT Saber is not a tank.

Can anyone else see what I think I see in the below pic? No hints at this stage, it should be glaring .

We travel not for trafficking alone,
                  By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                  For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                  We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

Irish DPM, british SA80 over the shoulder with blank firing attachment
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      Either someone was on a jolly or they are training for an invasion.
                      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

It's definitely Irish, not French DPM?
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
                          Either someone was on a jolly or they are training for an invasion.
                          Or a course..... Some of which are far from jolly

Comment

Recent competition
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I'm inclined to think its maybe in relation to the Mowag purchase and its possibly around 1998/99. The DF Cav sent a team of officers and NCO's to Catterick around that time to have a look at a Mechanised Infantry Battalion in operation. Different kit but a study of best practice in use was the driving force behind the visit. The intention being learn how its done and use those lessons to influence TTP's when at home with the Mowag's (The original idea was a single force collocated under one roof, not deployed in different bases around the country). Also CVR(T) Saber was withdrawn from service in 2004 so its defiantly prior to that.

I am of course open to correction .
                              Last edited by FMP; 29 November 2014, 06:03.
                              We travel not for trafficking alone,
                              By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                              For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                              We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

D Cav hadnt a lot to do with the mowag purchase as the cars where for the infantry, Irish dpm,s first came in late 1999 for overseas.
                                I know a group of bloods did do an amour tactics course in England around this time but they wore ARW gear.
                                Looking at the size of the Irish guy and making a guess , only a guess of who it might be I,d say its the battle Sgt,s course.

Comment

Working...
                                X