From the vaults: Braveheart mel gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the vaults: Braveheart mel gibson

Tuesday the 30th of September, in the Irish Film Institute, Temple Bar, Dublin. Talk: 16.00 hrs, Screening: 18.30 hrs, Adm: €5 (incl. tea & coffee)

It’s been 20 years since Mel Gibson brought Hollywood to Ireland by shooting his medieval epic on Irish soil. This powerful, historically based narrative sees iconic Scottish rebel William Wallace (Gibson), outraged by the brutality of British invaders, dedicate his... Read More

It’s been 20 years since Mel Gibson brought Hollywood to Ireland by shooting his medieval epic on Irish soil. This powerful, historically based narrative sees iconic Scottish rebel William Wallace (Gibson), outraged by the brutality of British invaders, dedicate his life to uniting Scotland’s tribal clans and lead them in their battle for freedom from Britain.

Ireland is well represented throughout with lush Wicklow, Kildare and Meath locations and a wildly hirsute supporting cast lead by Brendan Gleeson and over 1,500 Irish Defence Forces extras in the film’s spectacular battle sequences.

This screening will be complemented by an Afternoon Talk by the Curator of Irish Military History, National Museum of Ireland, Captain Lar Joye of the Reserve Defence Forces, will be giving a talk on the positive impact 'Braveheart' had on the Irish movie industry, due in part to the involvement of the Irish Defence Forces. Both events mark the IFI’s ongoing collaboration with Dublin City Council's Festival of History.

177 MINUTES, U.S.A., 1995, COLOUR, D-CINEMA
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.
Working...
X