Falkland Islands Defence Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falkland Islands Defence Force

I came across this on Youtube last night.

Its not bad if you have a spare hour and a half.

This recent documentary follows nine new recruits through their training...all of it part-time soldiering.

A very interesting insight into their role and ethos...and check out the 'rock cammo'.

Shows what a small, well-motivated reservist unit can achieve.

For added Irish interest...they use the Steyr AUG.

For Queen and Country follows two recruits, Jacob and Marcus, as they embark upon their 12 week training programme to become privates. The new recruits face ...
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Is the Zig-zagging a BA thing?
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      Not sure hadn't noticed that...their Permanent Staff instructor is Royal Marines...may be slight differences in tactics.
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

As in the hard targeting when in fire and maneuver? Is that what your referring to Jack? Gets taught from day one week one across the BA. Don't think it's specific to us. Always made good sense to me, make yourself a "hard target". Must be others out there that do it.
        Last edited by FMP; 23 September 2014, 13:25.
        We travel not for trafficking alone,
        By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
        For lust of knowing what should not be known,
        We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
          For added Irish interest...they use the Steyr AUG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWRv-hYFjM
          Thanks for the post Spider, some nicely tricked out AUG's there even using SUSAT. See the HBAR in use as well, cheers. Great stuff.
          Last edited by FMP; 23 September 2014, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by FMP View Post
            Thanks for the post Spider, some nicely tricked out AUG's there even if using SUSAT. See the HBAR in use as well, cheers. Great stuff.
            Looks like only the HBARs have the SUSAT from what I can see

The new Brit camo is very effective in that terrain (the rock stuff is excellent) as is the camo of the vehicles

Comment

We were taught that in FCA recruit training years ago

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                Looks like only the HBARs have the SUSAT from what I can see

The new Brit camo is very effective in that terrain (the rock stuff is excellent) as is the camo of the vehicles
                This is the chappy I'm on about very nice. Why oh why did we buy SA80 when we could have had that (attached).
                Attached Files

Comment

I recall reading in a trade magazine some years ago that there was a great deal of huffing and puffing because they chose the Steyr over the SA 80. Cue frantic lobbying and heavy sales pitch to get them to buy the SA80, the first models of which was widely regarded as junk. Lots of shouting about being unpatriotic and ungrateful,etc,etc.

Comment

Is it the aussie made one they use? Closer etc ?
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

GTTC, Obviously those involved in said lobbying never heard the phrase "Built under licence". Shame. Whole BA could have had them then.

SA80 Junk!!?? That's putting it mildly , or was anyway, SOP became paracord through the mag floor-plate and then tied to the rear sling loop so when (not if) your mag came out you would not lose it when cutting about.

Anyway all better now,,,,,,,,
                      Last edited by FMP; 23 September 2014, 15:49.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        I recall reading in a trade magazine some years ago that there was a great deal of huffing and puffing because they chose the Steyr over the SA 80. Cue frantic lobbying and heavy sales pitch to get them to buy the SA80, the first models of which was widely regarded as junk. Lots of shouting about being unpatriotic and ungrateful,etc,etc.
                        Which is strange considering they be looking for less than 300

Comment

Originally posted by FMP View Post
                          This is the chappy I'm on about very nice. Why oh why did we buy SA80 when we could have had that (attached).
                          In the classroom it looked as if it was only the HBARs. I assume the other attachment is a torch / pointer?

Comment

I recall it as being quite the fuss, got very Daily Mail. Lots of "how dare they, ungrateful lot, UnBritish,etc,etc" being bandied about. One sales guy was moaning about how difficult it was to get to the FI because of the dependency on the RAF. It was regarded as very embarrassing for British sales, to have what was considered a "Home" Service buying a foreign weapon for it's primary Service weapon.

Comment

i remember it to - there was lots of bluster as GTTC says, but it died down rather quickly when the media started running stories about how shit the SA80 was, and how British Soldiers were jealous of the attitude diplayed by the FIG in caring more about operational effectiveness than about where the weapon came from...

nice to see the FIG dipping in to buy some nice gucci Berghaus Munro daysacs as well - must be the RM influence!

Comment

Working...
                              X