Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Military Pilot looking to work for Irish Air Corps

Good day,

I'm currently a Canadian Air Force Helicopter Pilot moving to Ireland in the spring looking to join the Irish Air Corps, does anyone know if there would be a process to do this? I have contacted the recruiting office but they told me since I'm above the age of 28 it can't be done. I'm 32 years old and have been in the Canadian Air Force for 9 years and they still want me so I think I still have a few good years left to be useful, I hope anyway. I'm fine if the rules don't allow it but thought that perhaps the individual answering the phones at recruiting doesn't understand that maybe I wouldn't have to just start as a new Cadet with no flying/military experience. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have both Canadian and Irish citizenship.

Ryan Kelly

Afraid they are right, max age is 28 for officer cadets (no recognition for prior service/qualifacations)

Comment

Might be worth contacting the Coast Guard or Irish Helicopters, they would be the main civvy employers of chopper pilots.

Comment

If you have Canadian civil licenses, then contact the Irish Aviation Authority for validation of those licenses to operate here. Failing that, you would have to do all the EASA exams to get work here.
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Plus in relation to the DF age limit is there a regulation requiring five years residence in Ireland to qualify for commissioned rank? Does this apply to MO's?

Comment

I don't think it did for the "Suspect" who was MONS for a while. I'm sure he stepped off the boat and into a uniform.

You could always try to get Ministerial waiver due to your previous experience as a mil pilot.
            Last edited by F_M; 25 September 2014, 02:08.

Comment

We are talking about pilots not doctors

Comment

It would be a fantastic idea for the IAC to expand its knowledge and skills base by introducing a short commission(3-5years) program for experienced foreign military pilots like the OP.

Comment

What could they bring, given the aircraft in use and the missions involved? There is already officer exchange programs in place which provide the same benefits.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    What could they bring, given the aircraft in use and the missions involved? There is already officer exchange programs in place which provide the same benefits.
                    There is a wealth of pilots out there with real life operational flying experience over the last 10 years. There is much to be gained by having someone with such experience flying with flight crew day in day out and also to help write SOP's for things such as "brown out" flying for which the IAC themselves have no starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                      It would be a fantastic idea for the IAC to expand its knowledge and skills base by introducing a short commission(3-5years) program for experienced foreign military pilots like the OP.
                      It would have advantages but this is an real person asking about the current situation

There is no provision for it

I saw a link on ARRSE saying the RCAF are loosing lots of experienced pilots

Comment

It would have advantages but this is an real person asking about the current situation
                        I got that thanks.

There is no provision for it
                        I got that too.

saw a link on ARRSE saying the RCAF are loosing lots of experienced pilots
                        Which is why it would be a fantastic resource to tap into, if there was a decision made to do so as a short to medium tern arrangement. Many first world air arms already do so.
                        Last edited by Jetjock; 25 September 2014, 15:15.

Comment

It wouldn't be much of a career move...

"Well I flew BAE Hawk, CF-18s C130 Hercules and Globemaster III for the first few years of my flying career, before moving to Ireland, where I flew turboprop Pilatus and piston engine Cessna before advancing onto a lear jet....but only from mon-fri between the hours of 9.30 and 15.45"

Comment

You are missing the point. Think more along the lines of rotary wing, an area with actual overseas potential and zero overseas experience for the IAC.
                            Last edited by Jetjock; 25 September 2014, 15:31.

Comment

The reason for zero overseas experience is the reluctance of AC HQ to move anything further than 100 miles from the don.

Comment

Working...
                              X