Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Paper - When is it due to be published?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Banner View Post
    Hmm Interesting debate. I think the whole point is that the future relationship of NI to the UK and to the republic is uncertain. Remember (like it or not) that SF could well be in power both sides of the border soon enough and we could be looking at a 32 county referendum on a united Ireland shortly afterwards. It probably wouldnt get enough votes to pass but there is a clearly agreed path (as part of the Stormont Agreement) for NI to form part of a united Ireland.

Anyway interesting article on wider European defence policy and strategic thinking. Some of this is relevant to the debate here.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...fense-doctrine
    Just wondering where you plan to deport all the non Republicans from NI to.

The White paper is about the Defence forces of the 26 county state in the south. The Politics of the 6 County British state in the north is only of concern if its citizens are intent on destabilising the security of the south or its border area.
    At present they are not.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Here's a scenario that was published by the daily mail back in 2011 it is vastly over the top but could a melt down of the Eurozone impact the defence of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        ...At present they are not.
        and?

at present it is winter, does that mean that for the next 10 years - and going by past history the next 15 - the defence doctrine of the state should not involve the wearing of t-shirts or the using of sun cream?

the white paper exists to prepare the DF - and wider government - to face the challenges the state is likely to face over the next 10/15 years, and to put in place a process/mechanism that will allow the state to respond to challenges that are, at present, either not foreseen or not considered likely to happen. anyone who believes - particularly after the Scottish referendum and its still occuring aftermath, as well as the potential SF issue both north and south of the border - that the UK is likely to have the same territorial borders in 2025 as it does now, is quite simply on crack.

it is my view, as a very interested observer and participant, that neither Scotland nor NI will be within the UK, assuming such a thing were even to continue to exist in bastard form, by 2025. and i do not believe that the process will be amicable. if i were you, i would would take that as a warning that our political problems are going to arrive on your doorstep, and i would make preperations.

Comment

If the White Paper even alluded to a DF public order/ATCP role in NI, can you imagine how things would kick off?

I've no doubt that contingencies are being looked at, but secretly and by the same ranks that planned Exercise Armageddon.

Going to have nightmares tonight now though ropebag, cheers for that.

Comment

The last paper designed a defence force based on the benign security situation that existed in 1999. After it was published, 9/11 happened. 7/7 happened. More pipe bombs made by former irish terrorists started appearing in the front gardens of Dublin criminals and others. We entered a major recession.
            The white paper was not changed. The Defence forces however adapted to the new situations, and went through a number of restructures that were outside the scope of the white paper.

The White paper cannot predict and try to prepare for all eventualities. It can only work from the current situation, and seek to be better prepared to adapt as required, while being in the best possible situation to carry out current tasks. Otherwise we are back to hovertanks.

Comment

Europe faces a huge asymmetric threat in the years to come from Islamic Fundamentalism, the likes of IS a serious ongoing threat and a portent of what's to come. Europe's been there before of course and it was the Austrians then who saved the day but then the threat was more of a conventional nature. To face this current threat Europe will need robust and flexible Defence policies and a contribution from ALL member states in terms of men and material and not vacuous policy statements.

The White Paper needs to look at these international threats which can and will threaten Ireland and needs to formulate a response to what Ireland will do in the event of these eventualities. I'd contend that Ireland's current refusal to integrate into a European collective defence under an outdated and misguided "neutrality" concept will not serve it well. Perhaps more importantly however is the continued loss in troop numbers and experience and the ongoing efforts to eliminate the Reserve which means that when a robust response is eventually required it simply may not be available.

It will be too late then for recriminations.

Comment

The WP's job is to set the overall situation, it will not go into great detail on any issue. Nor should it as it is there to set strategic Government policies in general situation terms.

It will cover the broad threats (eg disidents, fundamentalists etc) - as those the GP - it will not say if they do x we will do y. It will say something like maintain capability to respond to threats etc.

Neutrality will also be covered.

But a majority of the Irish electorate decided they didn't want the various EU security bits.

Comment

I share your aspirations Dev for a strategic balanced document but I'm not convinced that those tasked with its drafting have the necessary strategic vision or knowledge to produce such a document.

If you want to have contingent capabilities espoused in any White Paper, then you have to develop and enhance them from current forces and not continuously seek to erode them - like what's happening at present.
                  Last edited by Pure Hover; 7 December 2014, 18:52.

Comment

Only two things will result in a serious consideration of military capacity. An unimaginable surfeit of cash for a protracted period, or a serious existential threat.
                    The first won't happen in a hurry and the second will only be acknowledged when it's too late to do anything about it.
                    Even joining NATO is no guarantee of proper military spending, as most of its members budgets will attest.

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hover View Post
                      I share your aspirations Dev for a strategic balanced document but I'm not convinced that those tasked with its drafting have the necessary strategic vision or knowledge to produce such a document.

If you want to have contingent capabilities espoused in any White Paper, then you have to develop and enhance them from current forces and not continuously seek to erode them - like what's happening at present.
                      Have you read the previous WP or the GP?

They both say exactly as I stated above

Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                      Only two things will result in a serious consideration of military capacity. An unimaginable surfeit of cash for a protracted period, or a serious existential threat.
                      The first won't happen in a hurry and the second will only be acknowledged when it's too late to do anything about it.
                      Even joining NATO is no guarantee of proper military spending, as most of its members budgets will attest.
                      What they will do is say the threat is there but it is low (which a direct threat is).
                      They will then say this capability will be retained at this level.

Comment

Minister now saying White paper is a few months off.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          Minister now saying White paper is a few months off.
                          That'll be 2016 so.

Comment

I actually think the delay is a good thing. To me it suggests that the powers that be are looking to make some adjustments within the overall budgetary envelope to literally get more bang for our buck. This would be very politically sensitive so announcements of a strategic nature are being postponed to a time when it will (hopefully from a govt's perspective) carry less political risk.

Can you imagine the fall out of announcing a strategic aim for an EPV or two, more helicopters and a vehicle fleet upgrade programme at a time when water charges are still very sensitive and the country is still reeling from years of austerity. It would be political suicide so in light of that the White Paper gets pushed over the horizon in the hope that it can be announced in a time when the environment is less sensitive.

What do ye reckon? is this total pie in the sky or does my theory hold some water?
                            Last edited by Banner; 10 December 2014, 10:32.

Comment

I actually think the delay is a good thing. To me it suggests that the powers that be are looking to make some adjustments within the overall budgetary envelope to literally get more bang for our buck. This would be very politically sensitive so announcements of a strategic nature are being postponed to a time when it will (hopefully from a govt's perspective) carry less political risk.

Can you imagine the fall out of announcing a strategic aim for an EPV or two, more helicopters and a vehicle fleet upgrade programme at a time when water charges are still very sensitive and the country is still reeling from years of austerity. It would be political suicide so in light of that the White Paper gets pushed over the horizon in the hope that it can be announced in a time when the environment is less sensitive.

What do ye reckon? is this total pie in the sky or does my theory hold some water?
                              Short of an Islamic terrorist action akin to 7/7 on Irish soil or overt Russian military aggression in Europe, I can't see there ever being an opportune time to advocate an increase in defence spending in Ireland. There's always going to be run down hospitals, schools, social develop schemes that will come before defence; which is why it has been wholly unwise to keep reducing the defence budget.

I'm very much looking forward to the publication of the WP, although my understanding is that the time it's submitted to the minister and when it's published are very much separate dates. So, is the delay that the DoD failed to meet the deadline? Or is the MoD sitting on it, waiting for when it's more advantageous to publish? Or did the DoD submit to the minister, and the minister sent it back to be amended before resubmission?

Comment

Water charges being increased by 100% would be a good way to pay for the EPVs.

Personally I would say the sticking point is neutrality. FG are looking to move away from it (which could be an excuse to reduce the army to a Bde plus).

If that was the case it will be published on Christmas Day to bury it

Comment

Working...
                                X