No announcement yet.

Scorpion replacment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alot of sources have said 105mm on a Piranha 111 is very unpleasant for the crew in relation to gun recoil, vibrations from firing, etc. that's part reason Belgians limited their gun to 90mm. You want a bigger gun on a hull you need a bigger hull.
    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• It is do-able CMI CT-CV 105mm HP has an auto loader and is an unmanned turret.

It was to go into Polish service, did it ever make it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        Someone has already thought of that:
        http://soldiersystems.net/2017/09/15...supacat-lr600/
        there have been ad-hoc uses of aircraft rocket pods as far back as the Falklands (68mm RP fired from pods) and in the Iraq and Syria wars (57mm RP fired from pods bolted to vehicles or simply propped up on a ground mount and aimed by eye.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          there have been ad-hoc uses of aircraft rocket pods as far back as the Falklands (68mm RP fired from pods) and in the Iraq and Syria wars (57mm RP fired from pods bolted to vehicles or simply propped up on a ground mount and aimed by eye.

http://www.operatorchan.org/v/src/146611852081.jpg
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• yep, that's a Russian rocket pod, fitted to practically every Russian combat aircraft and helicopter.....nice land cruiser, too.

Comment

• Considering what Ireland spends on defence, perhaps this is more appropriate to our budget
              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Shh. Why do you think the LTAVs keep falling apart?
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Re: #790 - The South African Rooikat - very much like the Italian Centauro i.e. 8-wheels and mid-20s tons, but with a high velocity 76mm (adapted version of the same 76mm used by the Naval Service - not the same as the Scorpion's gun/ammo), and capable of mounting a full 105mm.

Its not in production but, would there be properly mothballed, little used and later-built examples in storage in SA that could be bought and modernised for a knock-down price?
                  (i'm guessing probably not!).

Comment

• The problem with wheeled vehicles with a large calibre weapon is that they have problems in cities negotiating obstacles where it is likely that wars will be fought in the future, the Americans in Somalia and later Iraq and the Italian centaurs in Iraq all had problems with wheeled vehicles not being able to go through barricades and the like. Hence why the Americans are looking at a tracked vehicle for their mobile protected firepower project.

Comment

• If we were in the market for something small and recce like, why not the German Wiesel?
                      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                      He put a bullet through his brain.
                      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Also I know sweet fa about tank things other than tracks and gun, so go easy

Comment

• Too small, too lightly armed, not well enough armoured

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                            If we were in the market for something small and recce like, why not the German Wiesel?
                            The Wiesel is designed to be transported by the CH53 to be a support vehicle to the German Airborne troops. They were planned in the late '70s when the idea was to quickly plug gaps in the frontline against the Warsaw Pact. As such they are light, will withstand 7.62 rds or Shell fragments but not much more. They have also almost zero Mine protection and this is essential in todays operational deployments. Due to their size their capacity is limited, 3 troopers is tops.

Comment

• The armour protection I get, obviously a necessity today.

But you can chuck rocket launchers and cannons on them, and they're light enough to not be too troubled by Irish terrain I'd wager. What does a 139 lift? 9 tonnes or have I lost a screw? The Wiesel weighs up to 5 according to Wikipedia - handy to transport.

Let's be realistic, what does the DF need in terms of tank capability?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                                The armour protection I get, obviously a necessity today.

But you can chuck rocket launchers and cannons on them, and they're light enough to not be too troubled by Irish terrain I'd wager. What does a 139 lift? 9 tonnes or have I lost a screw? The Wiesel weighs up to 5 according to Wikipedia - handy to transport.

Let's be realistic, what does the DF need in terms of tank capability?
                                The AW139 has a maximum lift of 2200kg, a NH90/UH60 is around 4000kg, you have to go up to a CH53 or CH47 to get a helicopter transporting a Wiesel any serious distance. Also remember that the Wiesel was built in the 80's and even the Wiesel 2 was 2000's. So neither are any longer in production. There narrow tracks make them mobile in central Europe but not the best for really soft ground.
                                It you want to look at a more capable tracked vehicle then go for the BvS10. Big brother of the BV206 already used to carry radars. It was used by the Dutch Marines in Chad and the aft unit is flexible and can be fitted with any thing you want. The wide rubber tracks given it great mobility on soft ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X