Scorpion replacment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
    Apparently 3 are already earmarked for private sale and the rest are up for tender...
    I hope a number are held back for museums.

Comment

• The 3 private sales are for a preservation group...
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
        I hope a number are held back for museums.
        Visit Bovington or Duxford . Plenty to be found there.
        Our vehicles did nothing to deserve taking up museum space.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• One less item of ammo to be provided for.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
            One less item of ammo to be provided for.
            Probably 10,000 rounds in stores

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Probably 10,000 rounds in stores
              Is it a 76mm round?. The OTO Melaras in the NS are the same size round if so.

Comment

• the rounds are incompatible; different cartridge size.

Comment

• Other than mortars, 105's and NS cannons I cant think of any remaining crew served big bore systems left in the DF.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                    Is it a 76mm round?. The OTO Melaras in the NS are the same size round if so.

Scorpion 76mm

OTO Melara 76mm
                    The scorpion 76mm is a low pressure gun.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• there are none; the biggest guns the DF ever owned were the coastal guns of 6 and 9.2 inches respectively and they last fired in 1971 or so. The 76 in the Scorpion was a development of WW 2 ammunition. The nearest equivalent, in the DF, to the OTO 76mm round was the 17-pdr round of the antitank gun.....the OTO shell-cases are designed for autoloading but can be manually loaded if the feed system fails.

Comment

• So what is a low pressure gun as opposed to ..... and yes I know google is my friend

Comment

• Not my ballywick but if you look at the two shells there a lot less propellant in the low pressure shell.
                          Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

• low pressure or low velocity?

Comment

• A low pressure gun is one in which the cartridges are designed to deliberately slow the rate of expansion of the gases. Think of the 40mm grenade launcher, the M79. It's cartridge has two chambers within, so that when the primer fires, it doesn't flash all of the propellant at once, rather the gas path of the initial burning propellant is deliberately slowed by a metal or plastic barrier, before it can burn all of the rest of the propellant. It doesn't generate the kind of high case pressures and consequent high recoil. If it didn't, an M79 round would break your shoulder. The downside is comparatively short ranges.

Comment

• The Scorpion's complete round is not much smaller than the 75mm round of the Sherman, but the Sherman round went much further.

Comment

Working...
                                X