Scorpion replacment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
    Look at Canada, it’s a G7 economy, major NATO contributor, larger army and they found it hard to deploy a reinforced battalion group to Afghanistan and sustain it in combat. This country couldn’t by itself sustain a deployment of such a sized force.
    It is not as simple as a "reinforced Battalion". We did deploy a Battle Group, which consisted of an Infantry Battalion with all attachments:
    - Tank Sqn
    - Armoured Recce Sqn
    - Artillery Bty
    - ISTAR Bty
    - Combat Engineer Sqn

We also had other units in theater:
    - Brigade HQ
    - Service Battalion
    - Provincial Reconstruction Team, consisting of Construction Engineers, Combat Engineers, a Recce element, a Rifle Coy, Logistics, etc
    - Operational Mentor and Liaison Team, with Infantry, Artillery, Recce, Military Police, Logistics and Command elements
    - Intelligence unit
    - Military Police Detachment (Detention Center)

Finally, we commanded the following elements at different periods:
    - Regional Command (South): Div HQ
    - Role 3 Hospital at KAF

If we had deployed just a Battle Group, it would have been much easier. But we ended up with well over half a Brigade deployed (some 3000 at the peak) and it became very taxing on some elements of the Army, like Logs, Combat Support and Command. Combat Arms were doing fairly well during that period, with Soldiers volunteering for multiple tours, and asking for more.
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• @ropebag, not all fast jet sorties carry PGMs and get to operate in clear blue skies like Iraq and Afghanistan. The Balkans wars are a case in point where the best airpower, flown by some of the most experienced pilots, in the world couldn't see targets because of low cloud/bad weather/deception tactics and if they went in low, they were lit up like a Christmas tree by a very layered air defence structure manned by people who'd been doing it for forty years. It forced NATO to have a look back at what they'd been doing since the start of the jet age and the Cold war; ie, going in low to attack hard targets. GW 1 forced them back upstairs after the loss of six Tornados in short order, not to mind the other Allied losses to AA/manpads/SAM....In Syria, they have been using a mix of open air dumb bombing from all altitudes and/or PGM as and when it suited the Russians to do it. Syria has so few advanced weapons left that it's mechanics are making copies of the normal FAB-250 bomb from scrap and the delivery aircraft of choice is the old MiG-21!.......in an Irish context, if the opposition in Chad or Liberia had aircraft to play with, where would that have left us? The UN are notoriously reluctant to use combat aircraft and our own government is always reluctant to ship our best hardware overseas. The RBS 70 is a very good weapon but it's no good to an overseas unit if it is sitting quietly in the Curragh. I hate the thought of an Irish unit going out to a potential war zone with one hand tied behind it's back.

Comment

• South Lebanon (and UNIFIL) suffered under the IAF for a long time.

Didn’t the ADR deploy Bofors with ONUC?

Comment

• if they did, it was only later in the deployment........anyhoo, back on topic, just buy 90mm Mowag, lads.

Comment

• Naw buy The Centauro 2 fire support vehicle instead http://www.military-today.com/artillery/centauro_2.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
              Naw buy The Centauro 2 fire support vehicle instead http://www.military-today.com/artillery/centauro_2.htm
              30 tonnes.........might as well park one out in the Glen and throw sugar at it !
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Well at least it could drive out there

Comment

• look at the pressure the tyres are under in that photo .... now imagine it trying to drive off piste in ireland :D :D

"He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I agree, which is why I'd prefer a lighter car with a max of a 105mm gun. Compatibility with Mowags would be nice too.

Comment

• Would the tyres not have lowered pressure for crossing sand. In fairness any replacement for the existing armoured fleet will be heading for the 30 ton mark if not over it. The Danish Piranha V comes in at 33tons

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        Compatibility with Mowags would be nice too.
                        More of less essential if you ask me

Comment

• I think it's the gun the Belgians have, not that particular hull.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                            I think it's the gun the Belgians have, not that particular hull.
                            Yes they have that turret and gun on a MOWAG Piranha

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Yes they have that turret and gun on a MOWAG Piranha
                              Which gets me to wondering how much weight do these weapons systems add to the all up weight of the vehicle and how is performance effected. Do we end up with a situation like Liberia where the support vehicles couldn't keep up with the troop carrying vehicles?
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X