Thanks Thanks:  140
Likes Likes:  353
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 105s could do with a relatively inexpensive upgrade in order to be deployed effectively

There are very few modern 6x6/8x8 APCs mounting a 90mm (or bigger). There could be reasons for and against.

But if the Scorpions are to be replaced I’d be firmly of the opinion that it must be a MOWAG variant

2. Likes GoneToTheCanner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The 105s could do with a relatively inexpensive upgrade in order to be deployed effectively
    What issue with them needs an overseas upgrade??
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like

There are very few modern 6x6/8x8 APCs mounting a 90mm (or bigger). There could be reasons for and against.

But if the Scorpions are to be replaced I’d be firmly of the opinion that it must be a MOWAG variant
    Simple reason behind that. Unless you are an actual tank, if you fire a single big loud round against a hard target, revealing your location (as a recce force) to all nearby, modern countermeasures will have you destroyed before you can get the second round off. Wheeled AFV weapons are there to shoot and scoot. Not Stalk and shoot. That's the anti armour detatchment's job.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    What issue with them needs an overseas upgrade??
    Something like LINAPS, it wouldn’t be essential but offer advantages

Quote Originally Posted by na grohmit� View Post
    Simple reason behind that. Unless you are an actual tank, if you fire a single big loud round against a hard target, revealing your location (as a recce force) to all nearby, modern countermeasures will have you destroyed before you can get the second round off. Wheeled AFV weapons are there to shoot and scoot. Not Stalk and shoot. That's the anti armour detatchment's job.
    Yes and often those 30mm recce vehicles (in conventional warfare at least will be near friendly tanks, obviously we don’t have any).

Maybe there is an argument as part of a Scorpion replacement for 1ACS to be equipped with MOWAG MRVs and MOWAGs with a LRATGW (ie longer range than Javelin).

However, adding another missile to the inventory????

Post Thanks / Like
    We only have 3 missile types in the entire military... whats the big deal?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    @na gromiti, staying concealed is all very well for recce work but a lot of the current DF work abroad is staying highly visible in white vehicles. With regard to gun versus missile, cost is a major factor and the DoD/DoF is always on permanent overwatch when it comes to DF spending. I'd rather have a 90mm gun on a familiar platform, with a projected service life of thirty years, than a missile system that costs (insert supposed cost here) and has a very finite life, ie, missile time-ex'd after five or ten years. I'd love to see the faces on the DoD people if the Irish started squirting off Javelins like they were going out of fashion, in some dusty place against some toerag who's got a troop of technicals and wants to go head to head. "you spent how much??!!"

8. Likes apc, DeV, EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    We only have 3 missile types in the entire military... whats the big deal?
    So adding a small number of a new type is a huge percentage increase and a high life cycle cost

A 90 is also more versatile

Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    @na gromiti, staying concealed is all very well for recce work but a lot of the current DF work abroad is staying highly visible in white vehicles. With regard to gun versus missile, cost is a major factor and the DoD/DoF is always on permanent overwatch when it comes to DF spending. I'd rather have a 90mm gun on a familiar platform, with a projected service life of thirty years, than a missile system that costs (insert supposed cost here) and has a very finite life, ie, missile time-ex'd after five or ten years. I'd love to see the faces on the DoD people if the Irish started squirting off Javelins like they were going out of fashion, in some dusty place against some toerag who's got a troop of technicals and wants to go head to head. "you spent how much??!!"
    +1

I was actually thinking longer range than Javelin

Post Thanks / Like
    It would appear that an extended range version of Javelin (>4 km) is being worked on (not sure if fielded yet)

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I'm mightily annoyed at the DF's habit of writing and rewriting doctrine to make all they plan to do reflect the minimum equipment level we think the DoD will permit, MBTs are a bit of a stretch at the moment. Conceptually, not practically - even Singapore has tanks. Asking the DF to incorporate an entirely new doctrine to the cavalry is a generational job.
    If they are ever contemplated, it has to be a leopard or better. Not a cast-off that's on the replacement track.

Fire support for overseas missions does seem a no-brainer though and I really wonder why artillery are not brought to the field. On most of the Irish Army's ops they could stay happily dug in at camp. Whatever about tanks (always nice but the French AMX10RC seemed to hit the spot in Mali) an army that doesn't have artillery and deploy it is not an army, its a gendarmerie. I hate saying that where gun bunnies can hear, but it's true.

12. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes X-RayOne, na grohmití, EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by expat01 View Post
    While I'm mightily annoyed at the DF's habit of writing and rewriting doctrine to make all they plan to do reflect the minimum equipment level we think the DoD will permit, MBTs are a bit of a stretch at the moment. Conceptually, not practically - even Singapore has tanks. Asking the DF to incorporate an entirely new doctrine to the cavalry is a generational job.
    If they are ever contemplated, it has to be a leopard or better. Not a cast-off that's on the replacement track.

Fire support for overseas missions does seem a no-brainer though and I really wonder why artillery are not brought to the field. On most of the Irish Army's ops they could stay happily dug in at camp. Whatever about tanks (always nice but the French AMX10RC seemed to hit the spot in Mali) an army that doesn't have artillery and deploy it is not an army, its a gendarmerie. I hate saying that where gun bunnies can hear, but it's true.
    Irish doctrine says nothing of the sort

We aren’t invading former lands that isn’t to say that patrols fire support available. But remember we are talking UN mandated PSOs. Generally they aren’t engaged in combat ops.

The artillery we have doesn’t have precision capabilities and therefore wouldn’t be suitable.

A direct fire gun is a much better option.

Also remember that the UN would have to agre

Post Thanks / Like
    The artillery we have doesn’t have precision capabilities and therefore wouldn’t be suitable.

Partially disagree Dev....arty support not about single round precision type fire support.....although accurate, fast indirect support is a definite.

Think about alot of previous missions; east timor, liberia, chad, even Golan now. Lots of patrolling in sparcely populated, non built up areas. Accurate arty support for a screen, smoke, etc. to allow a dis-engagement in contact, prevent opposition forces advancing across an area would be hugely beneficial. Doesn't need to be laser guided super missiles, just accurate spread to cover required area.

Yes direct fire would be great too....but probably better in areas where damage, casualties need to be limited, i.e. built up areas, taking a point target, etc. As it is 30mm and 40mm grenade launchers can handle that to an extent.
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

15. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Irish doctrine says nothing of the sort

We aren’t invading former lands that isn’t to say that patrols fire support available. But remember we are talking UN mandated PSOs. Generally they aren’t engaged in combat ops.

Also remember that the UN would have to agre
    So no mortars of any description then.
    You aren’t engaged in combat ops until you are, and it isn’t necessarily a choice you make. If 120s are available, why not 105s? Kept in the rear as a standby, a very effective force multiplier.

I would agree that direct fire is preferable. But we don’t have any effective direct fire capability so it doesn’t matter whether the UN agrees or not. My point about artillery is that we have it, we train to use it and if a mission allows large calibre weaponry we can bring it to bear without purchasing new vehicles.
    First prize would be a wheeled vehicle with a 105.

17. Likes ODIN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    Partially disagree Dev....arty support not about single round precision type fire support.....although accurate, fast indirect support is a definite.

Think about alot of previous missions; east timor, liberia, chad, even Golan now. Lots of patrolling in sparcely populated, non built up areas. Accurate arty support for a screen, smoke, etc. to allow a dis-engagement in contact, prevent opposition forces advancing across an area would be hugely beneficial. Doesn't need to be laser guided super missiles, just accurate spread to cover required area.

Yes direct fire would be great too....but probably better in areas where damage, casualties need to be limited, i.e. built up areas, taking a point target, etc. As it is 30mm and 40mm grenade launchers can handle that to an extent.
    Remember we are talking UN mandated forces not the advance into Iraq. It is a point absolutely but you seriously think the UN ROE would allow indirect unguided munitions to be used? Even in thinly populated areas you only have to get it wrong once

SMK and ILLUM (as used by 120s with UNIFIL) possibly but HE no way

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember we are talking UN mandated forces not the advance into Iraq. It is a point absolutely but you seriously think the UN ROE would allow indirect unguided munitions to be used? Even in thinly populated areas you only have to get it wrong once

SMK and ILLUM (as used by 120s with UNIFIL) possibly but HE no way
    It has already happened, in the Congo last year.

20. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has already happened, in the Congo last year.
    With the intervention Bde who are a combat tasked formation

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    My point is that UN operations do not preclude the possibility.
    And the French have 155 self-propelled guns in UNIFIL.

So in this decade the UN has:
    a) permitted the deployment of heavy artillery and low-level AA missiles in UNIFIL
    b) ordered aggressive combat operations to seek and destroy rebel forces in the DRC.

This is no longer "yer daddy's UN", aimed at nobody's daddy in particular.
    Last edited by expat01; 20th November 2017 at 14:19.

23. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My point is that UN operations do not preclude the possibility.
    And the French have 155 self-propelled guns in UNIFIL.

So in this decade the UN has:
    a) permitted the deployment of heavy artillery and low-level AA missiles in UNIFIL
    b) ordered aggressive combat operations to seek and destroy rebel forces in the DRC.

This is no longer "yer daddy's UN", aimed at nobody's daddy in particular.

Absolutely but it doesn’t mean they have to be Irish guns either

I’m not saying they shouldn’t be and neither is the State (a Fd Arty Bty is part of the Irish palette of forces offered)

Post Thanks / Like
    There were 105s in chad werent there? dutch?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a wheeled option which might be a good upgrade and that is the NEMO 120mm turret which the Finns have fitted to their AMV's. This will also fit onto a Piranha IIIH and is not only a indirect mortar but can be used in a direct fire mode if necessary. Range is not the same as a 105 or 155mm tube but is a flexible option.
    https://www.patria.fi/en/products-an...mortar-systems

Post Thanks / Like
    It would appear that an extended range version of Javelin (>4 km) is being worked on (not sure if fielded yet)
    Last year in testing by the British they achieved hits at 4.3km

Forgot to say that the Javelin was mounted to a M151 RWS, so two things we have already just joined together, even if the RWS is modified.
    Last edited by EUFighter; Yesterday at 20:08.

28. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Its not as if other countries don't do it. The most obvious example would be the UK and BATUS. A more niche one of a small country that literally doesn't have the space to do things is Singapore - The SAF have hired a former NZAF bombing range for training and conduct training exercises for their land forces in Taiwan every year.
    Training space has to do with the size of the country and the population density, Singapore is small, smaller than Louth and a population density of nearly 8000 per km2. But we only have to look at the other divided island in the EU: Cyprus to see something more realistic. In their National Guard they have 82 T80's and 52 AMX30's and even with their small island which is only 1/8th of our and a density of 123 per km2 (double ours) and yet they find space to train! Just to give some extreme values England has a pop density of 431 per km while Leitrim has 20 per km. So if we even did have the funds and the will we would be able to find and develop a suitable training area.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean Cyprus which never actually stopped being involved in a war with Turkey in the 60s? Cyprus which has a DMZ enforced by the UN running the length of the island?
    Great comparison there.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    The comparison about Cyprus was not linked to potential threat but to land mass and population density in relation to training areas for tanks and other mechanised forces. The example of Singapore had been given, but Singapore is extremely small, they do their major training off island. Although even Singapore which a population just a bit bigger than ours and a land mass 1/80th of ours still manage to have some training areas within their borders. There is always the excuse we do not have the training areas for this or that, and yes the current training areas and bases are not suitable. But that is not to say it would be impossible if we did support the DFs more. This goes not only for tanks but also if we ever wanted to fire the 105's at full charge this is a bit tricky even today in the glen. God forbid we ever get our hands on some 155mm howitzers which is now the standard for a lot of countries.

The point is we have a relatively large land mass with for north west European country a low population density and in some counties an extremely low population, just do the maths. I am well aware that the chances of the DF ever getting their hands on a modern MBT is less than your or my chances of both winning the lottery but if they did then it is also possible that space to train could be found. Moving the army out of inner city barracks design for an army of occupation into purpose built bases with an adjacent training areas located in a derived rural areas would in itself be a big step forward.

As for Cyprus and Turkey at war since the 60's here there needs to be a fact check. 1960 after a war against the British the island gains independence (except for some bases which even today are still British). There was then inter-communal fighting between Greek and Turkish Cypriots (between Cypriots) and it was to maintain peace between these two communities that UNICYP was set-up. Following several coups by the Cypriot National Guard the last one in 1974 and fearing that there would be an annexation of Cyprus by Greece (then under a military junta) the Turks invaded. We could discuss if they were right or not for years but legally they were not. The fight was over relatively fast given the size and power of the Turkish military plus if they went further there would have been an issue with those British bases and at that time the British forces were still a force to be reckoned with.

To say that Cyprus and Turkey are at war since the 1960's is pushing it a bit far. As millions of tourist can testify Cyprus is a peaceful place to visit, divided but peaceful. To try and suggest that Cyprus could go up against Turkey in a conventional war would be like us trying in the 1920's militarily to take over Northern Ireland. The number do not stack up. The 130 or so tanks that the Cypriots have would be destroyed in the first day by the large and modern Turkish Air Force and everyone knows this. When they tried to get some air defence in the form of the S300 systems there was so much diplomatic pressure that in the end Greece ended up getting they systems.

Thread Information