No announcement yet.

Scorpion replacment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps it's just as simple as protecting their faces on the move from dust? More to the point, has the DF formally decided to take them out of service or will they continue until they start to disintegrate? Having seen the continued utility of the Scimitar in Afghanistan, could there be a role for a 30mm-modded Scorpion for the DF or has the Mowag 30mm seen that off?
    regards
    GttC

Comment

• The key is the engine. It is(other than motorcycles) the only petrol powered vehicle in frontline army service. That itself is a logs nightmare, particularly considering the 4.2L Jaguars thirst.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• seen as though money is unlikely to be forthcoming for upgrades,I think the scorpy's are doomed :(

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog View Post
          seen as though money is unlikely to be forthcoming for upgrades,I think the scorpy's are doomed :(
          One could suggest the shoot took place to clear the stocks of ammo. Having 3 cars on the gunline seems unusual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            One could suggest the shoot took place to clear the stocks of ammo. Having 3 cars on the gunline seems unusual.
            Balls

Comment

• So it's 30mm mowags and aging AMls for the mobile "heavy" hitting, then?
              regards
              GttC

Comment

• Dont think the AML has been overseas since Liberia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Dont think the AML has been overseas since Liberia.
                  Correct.And they wont be again.MRV's currently in Sweden with NBG.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• erhaps it's just as simple as protecting their faces on the move from dust? More to the point, has the DF formally decided to take them out of service or will they continue until they start to disintegrate?
                    Still in very good nick with reasonable mileage despite their age and ammo a plenty off the shelf if you look hard enough.
                    Wouldn't write them of just yet.

As for the AMls ..nobody is reading what I write, the Cav school are no longer training people at that location to drive AMLs. The AMls that came back from Liberia were still in white under canvas at the back of the workshops.Work load with Mowags is great enough without adding the AMls to it.

The Director of Cav has albut said it there gun and even technical support should they be divided up between the RDF would be a problem.The want to be rid of them now they have the new toys.

Scorpions cav be used for vehicle assimiation traing as they are still very nimble off road.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Comment

• Hi there,
                        I can't shake the image of my Action Man Scorpion tank out of my head! Ruined the real thing for me, it did.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

• If its still working has sufficient stocks of ammo and can still pack a punch then why scrap them. Yes the engine, logistics can be a bit of a headache but its probably the most mobile and hard hitting piece of equipment in stock. Even the AMLs yes they are old , do not know what state of serviceability , maintenance they are in but why just scrap , I see them still in service all over Africa . I am not suggesting the return of 18 pounders, Bulls wool,( although the old woolenl grey coats were better than what is issued today,) but just look at Israel, it wastes nothing , old tanks captured in the 6 day war are still in service in various configurations , probably in reserve units but still going with lots of modifications ,Ok I know they have an arms industry behind them.
                          The Taliban are still causing havoc with a simple RPG in various configs.
                          There seems to be an obsession with the latest gadgets and while I appreciate the importance of keeping up to date, Ireland tends to want to keep up to date with the UK and US which it cannot afford or probably does not really need.
                          And as for my old hobby horse: was in a Uruguayan base recently in the DRC , lots of Mags, FNs till in service and still doing the job. 50-60 yrs old weapon and still relevant

Comment

• Hi there,
                            Couldn't agree more.Shiny toy syndrome has wasted a lot of the DF's budget over the years.Personally, they should piss or get off the pot.Refit the Scorpys with a diesel engine, a 90mm and whatever aiming/nvg mods you might need, otherwise, scrap them and go Mowag( bigger than 30mm, please) entirely.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                              If its still working has sufficient stocks of ammo and can still pack a punch then why scrap them. Yes the engine, logistics can be a bit of a headache but its probably the most mobile and hard hitting piece of equipment in stock. Even the AMLs yes they are old , do not know what state of serviceability , maintenance they are in but why just scrap , I see them still in service all over Africa .
                              It doesn't have sufficient stock, and it is becoming hader to source since the UK stopped using the Saladin or Scorpion 76mm turrets.

Petrol????
                              its the only petrol fuelled armoured vehicle in the DF.. do you not consider that a bit more than a headache?

When was the last time you travelled in a Panhard? I am delighted to see it is still in use with other 3rd world banana republics. It is great to have something to aspire to. Though the fact the drivers compartment was designed for pygmies and not europeans makes things a little cramped.. but we can continue to aspire to be like them so we can be just like those 3rd world african nations....

Comment

• Even the AMLs yes they are old , do not know what state of serviceability , maintenance they are in but why just scrap
                                far from scrap just their role in the PDF has been taken over by new vehicles, fewer in number but far more capable. There is no longer time in the sylabus to retro train drivers and crew onto vehcles that will not be deployed operationally overseas again

When the upgrades came into being it was with the understanding that the vehicles were to be replaced at some point.

Given the advances in new vehicles and the potential theatres of operation we have arrived at a point where the safety of the people operating the machines cannot be guaranteed as they were designed a generation ago.

To ensure that the DF could operate within any European battle group the vehicles on offer should at least be on a par with others participating.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X