Scorpion replacment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scorpions

What’s the story with replacing the Scorpions? Are they becoming obsolete? The UK have developed the “Sabre” from a Scorpion body (dieselised engine, I think) and Fox turret, would that be a runner?
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Well info i have to hand i was told that the Scorps are here to stay and that they are to be upgraded with a diesel engine and modern sights and sensors and that the cav were thinking about purchasing some form IRR/Thermal Imagining type reducer camouflage type sheet (theres probley a proper name for it but i forget) the possibility of changing the 76mm gun for a 90mm gun has been decided against and that 76s is viewed as good support weapon when working alongside mechanised infantry. Now all this information could have changed but it has been said to me by several sources most recently was last november on the PSO EX in The Fury Glen!!! Oh the Sabre is round year nearly as long as the Scorps I think there just scorps with 30mm cannon something we just aquired with the new Mowags the only difference with the Sabre being Tracked and CVR-T compared to the Mowag APCs.
      British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
      Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

I'd say there looking at the Saab Barracuda Camo system, see below:

Saab Barracuda LLC, which was acquired from BAE Systems in 2002 and which is a fully owned subsidiary of Saab Barracuda AB, produces ultra-light camouflage netting systems. ULCANS prevents detection by enemy sensors in all environments and climates. The systems provide an advanced protection against detection in the visual, near infrared, thermal infrared and the radar ranges of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Saab Barracuda AB is located in Gamleby, Sweden, where it develops, manufactures and markets signature-matched products for multi-spectral protection against detection and identification. The company is a world-leader in its field, with subsidiaries in five countries and representatives and customers in fifty countries.

Comment

I have it upstairs in an issue of Combat And Survival somewhere it discusses such equipment i'll have to dig it out... (Ponders Where My Shovel Argh...)
          Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

Comment

Way off the mark there. Expect to be dissapointed.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks God not in the Cav so i only say wat I hear after it being confirmed these are just plans not confirmed options but the Cavarly were considerin it, they even published these idea in kind of commemorate hand out thing it was to do with the Anniversary Of The Cavarly Corps it was few years old but picked it up one day in the McKee. (Swiped) lol but that what they seem to belive in the Cav might happen to the Cav to the Scorps from what i heard from personnel in the curragh when i was there in the summer aswell as what i was told by Seniour NCOs from Cav Unit PDF when was on PSO EX in november..

Comment

Those upgrades have been talked about for a long time, there's nothing new here.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

How about getting a new vehicle like the Stryker or LAV-25? The Scorpions a great AFV, but it should be retired by now. It seems like a lot of money to spend to refurbish them. For 1.5 million you could get a new Bradley M2 or M3 and a used one for a lot less. I operated one in Iraq and they are one hell of a vechile. You have the 25mm Chain gun, a 7.62 and and TOWs. During the 1991 Gulf War they took out more tanks than the M1s did. A Bradley is not a tank, but neither is the Scorpion.

I know it cost more money than an upgrade, but since the Scorpins are not being used in a combat/peackeeping mission at the moment, save the money and buy a different AFV. The cheapest thing would be to use armored humvees with TOWs or MK-19s.
                  Last edited by Guest; 30 December 2005, 20:52.

Comment

Possibly why the Mowag Piranha with the 30mm Cannon is being selected. It is similar to the Stryker/Lav in many ways. As for the Bradley, have you seen "The Pentagon Wars"? I would have more confidence in the Warrior, if a tracked afv was being considered as a replacement, or better yet, a CV90. But thats getting into "TANKS" territory.

As an aside, the Hughes Chain Gun was trialled on a Panhard AML many many years ago when a replacement for the 60mm Mortar turret was being considered. I don't know what the outcome of the testing was, but needless to say, the 60mm turret was not replaced until about 15 years later with the 20mm cannon.

There is mentioned elsewhere the Competition that was held for the Light Tactical Armoured vehicle, which would have been a humvee type vehicle, with a remotely operated HMG. Though many expected the MOWAG EAGLE IV to succeed, the competition was closed with no successful bidders. All mentioned on another thread in this section.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I agree about the history of the Bradley, of course that was more than 25 years ago. I have seen and experienced the Bradley take many hits from small arms/RPGs/IEDs and live to tell about it.

Do the Scorpions deploy for peacekeeping missions? Even in places like Africa there is many nutjobs running around with RPGs.

However you can take any AFV and make it 10x stronger. Look at what the Isrealis and South Africa have done with theirs.

From my AFV experience, if you are to upgrade the Scorpions you have to do several things. Better armor, better engine, more blast resistant track, night vision.

Are the Irish Scorpions 76mm or 90mm versions? If they are 76mm you are probably better of leaving it that way. Against a MBT like the M-1 its not going to make that much of a difference. And since MBT are not the main threat, having a 76mm cannon with more ammo would probably be more useful. You can take out other AFVs, trucks, bunkers. etc

Comment

For aguy who is intersted in Irish military history...you seem to read very little...
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Wow murphy, what a great thought. No content, no support for your comment. 'I'd tink i cans reedes'

Anyway, do the Scorpions have night vision gear? If they do I am sure that it can be upgraded even further. Also perhaps a GPS system, considering they would have a recon role.
                          Last edited by Guest; 31 December 2005, 01:12.

Comment

Mod: unnecessary comments removed

i thought it was confirmed some time ago that the scorpions were being scrapped/sold/becoming targets in the glen?? :confused:
                            The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Well it would be great to see the Scorps serve overseas and this could be a poosibility i presume with the Cavarlys new enhanced Recce Role.Like i said the 76s is viewed internationally as a great support weapen working alongside the likes of Mechanised Infantry (APC Mounted e.g Mowags Units) the Scorps cant be that much over 15/18 years old can they?? and would have prodominatly been used for training so with a new upgrade, they could easily serve for another 10-12 years.

Comment

Gasplug, are the Scropions still fully operational?

Comment

Working...
                                X