No announcement yet.

DF Patch/badge ID??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats your opinion mate.It's not mine.If the shirt is all about bells and whistles why produce it in DPM at all?
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
      DPM's or in this instance the DPM shirt, stopped being a combat uniform when they brought in the "Defence Forces Ireland" tab on the chest, giant tricolour's and poxy pockets. The shirt is very much about bells and whistles.
      And the smock..... False pockets etc

Comment

Lets recap here lads.The "false" pockets(which aren't) are there to allow you to access your kit from the side while wearing the battlevest. I dare say if the buttons and false flap had been omitted then when worn without the BV the smock would have looked ridiculous.Looking the part and not feeling like you are wearing a ridiculous uniform effects morale.Remember how we all felt wearing the old "Elvis" shirts or the 2009 ptn shirts with the shrunken sleeves??

The badging policy on the shirts was written when the shirt was worn as the outer layer in warm weather tactical OPs/EX's.Hence the no badges policy.
        The large tricolour and DFI/ONH tab were added as FP measures for when we operate overseas.I cant count the amount of times we were confused with italians in down town Pristina.
        The no badge policy may change with the relegation of the shirt to a Bks only item for PDF with the intro of the UBACS which has NO fixed badges.But what will the RDF do?They will still have to use the shirt as a field item in warm weather.Do ye want to go around like a christmas tree??
        Having no trade/qual badges on the DPM's cuts down on the amount of tailoring the troops need to get done also.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Or they could have just added zipped pockets (like the Arktis design it is based on)

Comment

These patches were made so that walts can give the Hurt Lockeresque chat up lines.

Comment

The metal version is approved for wear on SD1

Comment

Its quite nice too.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
                  These patches were made so that walts can give the Hurt Lockeresque chat up lines.
                  I don't think its a common enough badge for it to get in the hands of a Walt?
                  The badge is specific to only one corps and then only qualified guys.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                    But what will the RDF do?They will still have to use the shirt as a field item in warm weather.Do ye want to go around like a christmas tree??
                    If a chap can wear his Sam Browne, He'll be fine.

Comment

Or, maybe, I know this is a radical idea but maybe they should wear the same uniform as their PDF counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                        Or, maybe, I know this is a radical idea but maybe they should wear the same uniform as their PDF counterparts.
                        first make sure they are doing what is required to get the uniform required

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                          first make sure they are doing what is required to get the uniform required
                          You mean fill in the request forms???
                          hedons have more fun.

Comment

IE that you not get desert DPM for training ex in the glen
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Big offer on at the moment for anyone interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X