This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northie View Post
    The big thing with the LA85/86 series at this stage of the game is that the product is in effect EOL - there is no more manufacturer support available and production has ceased. Yes, the British armed forces are much smaller than they were during the cold war, and this will allow a certain amount of cannibalisation of parts to take place, however these will eventually run out, and there's only so many times you can get H&K to do a mass refurbishment before it becomes more hassle than its worth.
    This would be true if HK hadn't made new L85 bodies - but they have so the L85 isn't going anywhere fast...
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      This would be true if HK hadn't made new L85 bodies - but they have so the L85 isn't going anywhere fast...
      I wasn't aware that they had made new bodies. Well, George Washingtons Axe springs to mind!

Comment

Guys.I reckon this whole thread is a massive bite.Designed to wind up our BA posters with the "rumour" about a new rifle and designed to wind us up with the dig about the cost of our Steyr upgrade.
        Fact: The MoD is not due to start an replacement program for the L85 until 2020 at the earliest(2025 being more likely).
        Fact: NATO are currently trying to decide the way forward with regards a new standard calibre ammunition,with an interim calibre somewhere between 5.56 and 7.62 being the likely outcome(a result of 5.56 being found to be underpowered at certain ranges out in the 'stan).No NATO member or PFP member will change to a new to a new 5.56 rifle as to do so would be stupid in the extreme as if NATO changes to 6.7mm for example then the cost of 5.56 will skyrocket!
        Fact: Ireland as a PFP member has upgraded our nearly 30 year old weapons to extend the service life until NATO makes it's mind up.Simple as.
        Fact:As of yesterday evening there is zero mention of the above "rumour" anywhere else on the 'net especially over on ARRSE where every other rumour about the BA is to be found.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
          Guys.I reckon this whole thread is a massive bite.Designed to wind up our BA posters with the "rumour" about a new rifle and designed to wind us up with the dig about the cost of our Steyr upgrade.
          Fact: The MoD is not due to start an replacement program for the L85 until 2020 at the earliest(2025 being more likely).
          Fact: NATO are currently trying to decide the way forward with regards a new standard calibre ammunition,with an interim calibre somewhere between 5.56 and 7.62 being the likely outcome(a result of 5.56 being found to be underpowered at certain ranges out in the 'stan).No NATO member or PFP member will change to a new to a new 5.56 rifle as to do so would be stupid in the extreme as if NATO changes to 6.7mm for example then the cost of 5.56 will skyrocket!
          Fact: Ireland as a PFP member has upgraded our nearly 30 year old weapons to extend the service life until NATO makes it's mind up.Simple as.
          Fact:As of yesterday evening there is zero mention of the above "rumour" anywhere else on the 'net especially over on ARRSE where every other rumour about the BA is to be found.
          Regardless of which, all i have offered is also fact!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
            I wasn't aware that they had made new bodies. Well, George Washingtons Axe springs to mind!
            Think more of 'Triggers Sweeping Brush'!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

yes I do not think the MOD are going to replace anything just that guys going to Iraq on he 14th of Jan will be issued with scars. so I was told by someone who will be going. not sure if they are using the 5.56 or 7.62 versions
              Agree 5.56 is under powered, 270/6.7mm would be a compromise but why bother when u have a perfectly adequate 7.62. ammo already being produced etc
              The upgrade has been a very expensive exercise
              anyway by end of January we will know if the rumour was false

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                Did they add a bayonet to the point 5?
                Besides captured .5s which they lacked and dead Argi's footwear. Did not realize they picked up FN fals. to use.

Comment

for example then the cost of 5.56 will skyrocket!
                  wouldn't worry too much about it....given the copious amounts of 7.62mm on the market 30 years after we replaced it as the primary round of choice.

We were buying 25pdr ammo 50 years after they stopped producing the gun....

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    Took away its full auto capability, made it longer, added a weaker bayonet. In the Falklands it was being dumped wholesale as its users picked up the discarded FN FAL of dead and fleeing Argentinians.
                    I always understood it was the Sterling smg that was swopped for the FN.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                      Understandable (although I always liked mine, easier to carry!)
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                        Now that would make sense... the Sterling (called SMG C1 in Cdn service) was an unreliable piece of shit.
                        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

no smoke without fire (although as you rightly point out it may be smouldering for over a decade yet!) - and the jungle drums are beating, even if it isn't online
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

MOD: After investigating a complaint against the OP for trolling(which I predicted) it turns out the complaint was indeed justified and "trainguard" was one of our old friends
                            He has been banned.This whole thread is,as suspected,a bite.Thread closed.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                            X