Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like

RDF Training and Fitness

Hello all

Just a quick question regarding RDF Training, physicality and fitness.
    I have recently applied, passed the fitness test, the interview and am awaiting call for the medical for the RDF based here in the North West. I was just wondering what is expected and required in terms of physicality of training, what takes place and what one would be expected to be able to do and achieve. I am in no way put off by the physical challenge and I am in very good fitness myself, I am just interested as to what I can expect.

Any Information and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Most of the fitness will have to be in your own time AFAIK

The annual fitness test is in 3 parts:
    Part 1 - BMI / body calipers
    Part 2 - graded push ups for 1 min, graded sit ups for 1 min, graded 3.2km/2mile run (in sports gear)
    Part 3 - graded graded 10km loading march (carrying 14kg/30lbs) cross country (wearing uniform, boots, etc)

By graded I mean, there are 6 grades (1 being the best, 4 being a pass, 5&6 being a fail)
    You must get min grade 4 in each (push ups/sit ups/2 mile/10km) to pass each. The grade you get in part 2 is an average of the 3 results in the 3 exercises.

A failure in any part of part 2 is a failure overall.

Some courses require to get better than grade 4.

The amount of exercises / time you have varies depending on your age group.

From memory (so subject to correction) for a male under 30 grade 4 is min:
    Push ups 32
    Sit ups 35
    2 miles 15:30 mins
    10km 99 mins

That is the formal test to get through training you will need a good level of overall fitness, training will include crawling while carrying weight etc
    Last edited by DeV; 3rd January 2015 at 14:09.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for your quick reply
    As I said, I am in good fitness, I compete in triathlons,marathons etc so I am in no way scared of what lies ahead. I am also 33 so I have been told that any fitness tests from now on will reflect and by graded taking my age into account.
    The 32 push ups and 35 sit ups, are they timed as a matter of interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Push ups and sit ups - you have 60 secs to do as many as you can ;
    (You have a min number you have to do in that time to pass

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that.

I know each Coy is different but can one expect any great deal of physical stuff during weekly classes at recruit camp etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
    Thank you very much for your quick reply
    As I said, I am in good fitness, I compete in triathlons,marathons etc so I am in no way scared of what lies ahead. I am also 33 so I have been told that any fitness tests from now on will reflect and by graded taking my age into account.
    The 32 push ups and 35 sit ups, are they timed as a matter of interest.
    If you are doing triathlons, etc., you will likely be scoring high in your fitness tests
    And yes, you are scored for a 1 minute duration on your press up and sit up tests

As Dev said, the requirements are on a downward sliding scale as you get older (e.g. more time for a 33 yr old for the
    3.2km run versus the time required for a 20 yr old, etc etc)

You are a rarity in that folks of your age don't tend to enlist in the RDF in large numbers

Best of luck with the training
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 27th January 2015 at 20:20.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
    Thanks for that.

I know each Coy is different but can one expect any great deal of physical stuff during weekly classes at recruit camp etc?
    Too much other things to fit into a very short period of time unfortunately

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeV;421746]Most of the fitness will have to be in your own time AFAIK

The annual fitness test is in 3 parts:
    Part 1 - BMI / body calipers

The body calipers Are only for people who have high bmi ( fat ba****ds) as they are known ..

9. Dislikes na grohmití disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct

Post Thanks / Like
    The body calipers Are only for people who have high bmi ( fat ba****ds) as they are known .
    I know a couple of guys who have to have a Calipers test every year but yet go on to score Grade 1 consistently.Remember muscle weighs more than fat
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

12. Thanks na grohmití, Truck Driver, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Bam Bam liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Hayes, Rugby player would fit the criteria requiring body calipers when he was winning games for Ireland and Munster.

I'll pass on his address so you can call him a fat b'stard to his face.
    I'll even throw in the stepladder.

14. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver, Flamingo, hptmurphy, apod liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I caliper every year I do the IT's ( 8 out of 10 now ) and have never done worse than GIII. Grade 1 last year and trying for the same this year.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

16. Likes Truck Driver, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    ....The body calipers Are only for people who have high bmi ( fat ba****ds) as they are known ..
    First part of the statement - correct
    If your BMI is confirmed as being 30 or over, then it automatically triggers a body fat check as per requirements of Part I
    The bit in brackets - not necessarily true, as mentioned by Apod and Na Grohmiti
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

18. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    john hayes, rugby player would fit the criteria requiring body calipers when he was winning games for ireland and munster.
    I'll pass on his address so you can call him a fat b'stard to his face.
    I'll even throw in the stepladder.
    lmfao.... :-d

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as an aside, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, a kilogram is a kilogram. Muscle is more dense than fat, as such it takes up less space than fat, so if you were to measure by volume it may seem like more, which I'd imagine is where the confusion comes from.

As pointed out above, the BMI scale isn't the be all and end all and in my opinion, is just a lazy way of screening people. The calliper's are far better and much more accurate.

21. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Barry, Bam Bam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have to work around this problem when I ran an Orthopaedic Day Surgery unit. Part of the suitability criteria was a BMI of over 35 could not be considered for day surgery, but every so often I would get a fit bodybuilder in, and then spend the rest of the morning trying to track the anaesthetist down to get approval to exempt them from the guidelines...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

23. Thanks DeV, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never new john Hayes was a member of the DF? So all the guys getting calipers are international athletes buy shape and fitness??
    No I don't think so id say possible over 90% are over weight / fat!! We are being to pc on the issue incase we hurt feelings..
    Guys going down for easy IT,s once a year and scrap by on bmi is not good enough FACT..
    Sorry if this for some makes me like the bully in the school yard but I it offends chances are your the problem!!! So hide behind john Hayes all you want over weight is over weight..
    Bad for your health bad for the DF in image and in your abilities with certain tasks

Post Thanks / Like
    Im 38 now and have so far managed to get a grade 1 in my last test - for the youngest age group.
    My philosophy is simple, train hard, fight easy, live long.

The fitness of the machine which carries your consciousness (body) and by extension, your "general" health is one of the few assets you're given at birth which cannot be taken from you without at least some cooperation on your own behalf.

If a guy/girl is overweight? so what, get them to stop b*thching about it and encourage them to want to put down the pies and pull on the gym gear, we all struggle with our own weight / body at some point. At minute im trying to remove a soft lumpy front and sides, whilst im still fit, going running and feeling this wee bit of a gut jiggling under the thermal layer is disgusting to me.

Ive seen all sorts of carryon on the ITs , in general though i got the impression that whilst most everyone was out to do well, there were some there who wanted to just about pass and Ive seen PTL's under PTI supervision, let people away with some of the most woeful pushups and situps imaginable.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    I know from my day, I could do sit-ups and press-ups no problem, put any weight bergin on and walk all day with it no problem at a steady 3-4 miles an hour, but I really struggled with the running. I used to train, I used to pass (most of the time) but I HATED it! When I came out I swore I was never running again!

This was my bible when it came to training:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Marine.../dp/0091776996
    Last edited by Flamingo; 29th January 2015 at 11:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    Just as an aside, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, a kilogram is a kilogram. Muscle is more dense than fat, as such it takes up less space than fat, so if you were to measure by volume it may seem like more, which I'd imagine is where the confusion comes from.

As pointed out above, the BMI scale isn't the be all and end all and in my opinion, is just a lazy way of screening people. The calliper's are far better and much more accurate.
    BMI also assumes that body fat scales with the square of your height, which isn't true - theoretically you'd think it'd be more like 3, but I once read an article that said a power of 2.3 or so is closer to reality. Most of the rugby players that people like to point as examples of healthy people with high BMIs at also happen to be quite tall, and thus their BMI is higher than it would be for someone of similar build who is of normal height.

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a chef in 1bde that is an absolute unit - I doubt he has dpms as there's no ****ing way they'd fit him. His bmi would be completely ridiculous.... Then again he mightn't be all that great at the running around thing.....
    Last edited by The real Jack; 29th January 2015 at 11:40. Reason: spalling
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    BMI also assumes that body fat scales with the square of your height, which isn't true - theoretically you'd think it'd be more like 3, but I once read an article that said a power of 2.3 or so is closer to reality. Most of the rugby players that people like to point as examples of healthy people with high BMIs at also happen to be quite tall, and thus their BMI is higher than it would be for someone of similar build who is of normal height.
    If your 70kg and:
    1.5 metres your obsese
    1.6 metres your overweight
    1.7 metres your normal
    2 metres your underweight

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    If your 70kg and:
    1.5 metres your obsese
    1.7 metres your normal
    You're*

Isn't the minimum height still 5' 4"?

31. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You're*

Isn't the minimum height still 5' 4"?
    157.48 cm / 5 ft 2 in

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    If your 70kg and:
    1.5 metres your obsese
    1.7 metres your normal
    I'm not fat - I'm just too short.

34. Likes DeV, na grohmití, Truck Driver liked this post

Thread Information