Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Training and Fitness

Hello all

Just a quick question regarding RDF Training, physicality and fitness.
    I have recently applied, passed the fitness test, the interview and am awaiting call for the medical for the RDF based here in the North West. I was just wondering what is expected and required in terms of physicality of training, what takes place and what one would be expected to be able to do and achieve. I am in no way put off by the physical challenge and I am in very good fitness myself, I am just interested as to what I can expect.

Any Information and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Most of the fitness will have to be in your own time AFAIK

The annual fitness test is in 3 parts:
    Part 1 - BMI / body calipers
    Part 2 - graded push ups for 1 min, graded sit ups for 1 min, graded 3.2km/2mile run (in sports gear)
    Part 3 - graded graded 10km loading march (carrying 14kg/30lbs) cross country (wearing uniform, boots, etc)

By graded I mean, there are 6 grades (1 being the best, 4 being a pass, 5&6 being a fail)
    You must get min grade 4 in each (push ups/sit ups/2 mile/10km) to pass each. The grade you get in part 2 is an average of the 3 results in the 3 exercises.

A failure in any part of part 2 is a failure overall.

Some courses require to get better than grade 4.

The amount of exercises / time you have varies depending on your age group.

From memory (so subject to correction) for a male under 30 grade 4 is min:
    Push ups 32
    Sit ups 35
    2 miles 15:30 mins
    10km 99 mins

That is the formal test to get through training you will need a good level of overall fitness, training will include crawling while carrying weight etc
    Last edited by DeV; 3 January 2015, 15:09.

Comment

Thank you very much for your quick reply
      As I said, I am in good fitness, I compete in triathlons,marathons etc so I am in no way scared of what lies ahead. I am also 33 so I have been told that any fitness tests from now on will reflect and by graded taking my age into account.
      The 32 push ups and 35 sit ups, are they timed as a matter of interest.

Comment

Push ups and sit ups - you have 60 secs to do as many as you can ;
        (You have a min number you have to do in that time to pass

Comment

Thanks for that.

I know each Coy is different but can one expect any great deal of physical stuff during weekly classes at recruit camp etc?

Comment

Originally posted by wiseblood View Post
            Thank you very much for your quick reply
            As I said, I am in good fitness, I compete in triathlons,marathons etc so I am in no way scared of what lies ahead. I am also 33 so I have been told that any fitness tests from now on will reflect and by graded taking my age into account.
            The 32 push ups and 35 sit ups, are they timed as a matter of interest.
            If you are doing triathlons, etc., you will likely be scoring high in your fitness tests
            And yes, you are scored for a 1 minute duration on your press up and sit up tests

As Dev said, the requirements are on a downward sliding scale as you get older (e.g. more time for a 33 yr old for the
            3.2km run versus the time required for a 20 yr old, etc etc)

You are a rarity in that folks of your age don't tend to enlist in the RDF in large numbers

Best of luck with the training
            Last edited by Truck Driver; 27 January 2015, 21:20.
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by wiseblood View Post
              Thanks for that.

I know each Coy is different but can one expect any great deal of physical stuff during weekly classes at recruit camp etc?
              Too much other things to fit into a very short period of time unfortunately

Comment

[QUOTE=DeV;421746]Most of the fitness will have to be in your own time AFAIK

The annual fitness test is in 3 parts:
                Part 1 - BMI / body calipers

The body calipers Are only for people who have high bmi ( fat ba****ds) as they are known ..

Comment

Correct

Comment

The body calipers Are only for people who have high bmi ( fat ba****ds) as they are known .
                    I know a couple of guys who have to have a Calipers test every year but yet go on to score Grade 1 consistently.Remember muscle weighs more than fat
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

John Hayes, Rugby player would fit the criteria requiring body calipers when he was winning games for Ireland and Munster.

I'll pass on his address so you can call him a fat b'stard to his face.
                      I'll even throw in the stepladder.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I caliper every year I do the IT's ( 8 out of 10 now ) and have never done worse than GIII. Grade 1 last year and trying for the same this year.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                          ....The body calipers Are only for people who have high bmi ( fat ba****ds) as they are known ..
                          First part of the statement - correct
                          If your BMI is confirmed as being 30 or over, then it automatically triggers a body fat check as per requirements of Part I
                          The bit in brackets - not necessarily true, as mentioned by Apod and Na Grohmiti
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                            john hayes, rugby player would fit the criteria requiring body calipers when he was winning games for ireland and munster.
                            I'll pass on his address so you can call him a fat b'stard to his face.
                            I'll even throw in the stepladder.
                            lmfao.... :-d

Comment

Just as an aside, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, a kilogram is a kilogram. Muscle is more dense than fat, as such it takes up less space than fat, so if you were to measure by volume it may seem like more, which I'd imagine is where the confusion comes from.

As pointed out above, the BMI scale isn't the be all and end all and in my opinion, is just a lazy way of screening people. The calliper's are far better and much more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X