No announcement yet.

RDF Training and Fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have to work around this problem when I ran an Orthopaedic Day Surgery unit. Part of the suitability criteria was a BMI of over 35 could not be considered for day surgery, but every so often I would get a fit bodybuilder in, and then spend the rest of the morning trying to track the anaesthetist down to get approval to exempt them from the guidelines...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Never new john Hayes was a member of the DF? So all the guys getting calipers are international athletes buy shape and fitness??
      No I don't think so id say possible over 90% are over weight / fat!! We are being to pc on the issue incase we hurt feelings..
      Guys going down for easy IT,s once a year and scrap by on bmi is not good enough FACT..
      Sorry if this for some makes me like the bully in the school yard but I it offends chances are your the problem!!! So hide behind john Hayes all you want over weight is over weight..
      Bad for your health bad for the DF in image and in your abilities with certain tasks

Comment

Im 38 now and have so far managed to get a grade 1 in my last test - for the youngest age group.
        My philosophy is simple, train hard, fight easy, live long.

The fitness of the machine which carries your consciousness (body) and by extension, your "general" health is one of the few assets you're given at birth which cannot be taken from you without at least some cooperation on your own behalf.

If a guy/girl is overweight? so what, get them to stop b*thching about it and encourage them to want to put down the pies and pull on the gym gear, we all struggle with our own weight / body at some point. At minute im trying to remove a soft lumpy front and sides, whilst im still fit, going running and feeling this wee bit of a gut jiggling under the thermal layer is disgusting to me.

Ive seen all sorts of carryon on the ITs , in general though i got the impression that whilst most everyone was out to do well, there were some there who wanted to just about pass and Ive seen PTL's under PTI supervision, let people away with some of the most woeful pushups and situps imaginable.
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I know from my day, I could do sit-ups and press-ups no problem, put any weight bergin on and walk all day with it no problem at a steady 3-4 miles an hour, but I really struggled with the running. I used to train, I used to pass (most of the time) but I HATED it! When I came out I swore I was never running again!

This was my bible when it came to training:

Last edited by Flamingo; 29 January 2015, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
            Just as an aside, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, a kilogram is a kilogram. Muscle is more dense than fat, as such it takes up less space than fat, so if you were to measure by volume it may seem like more, which I'd imagine is where the confusion comes from.

As pointed out above, the BMI scale isn't the be all and end all and in my opinion, is just a lazy way of screening people. The calliper's are far better and much more accurate.
            BMI also assumes that body fat scales with the square of your height, which isn't true - theoretically you'd think it'd be more like 3, but I once read an article that said a power of 2.3 or so is closer to reality. Most of the rugby players that people like to point as examples of healthy people with high BMIs at also happen to be quite tall, and thus their BMI is higher than it would be for someone of similar build who is of normal height.

Comment

There's a chef in 1bde that is an absolute unit - I doubt he has dpms as there's no ****ing way they'd fit him. His bmi would be completely ridiculous.... Then again he mightn't be all that great at the running around thing.....
              Last edited by The real Jack; 29 January 2015, 12:40. Reason: spalling
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                BMI also assumes that body fat scales with the square of your height, which isn't true - theoretically you'd think it'd be more like 3, but I once read an article that said a power of 2.3 or so is closer to reality. Most of the rugby players that people like to point as examples of healthy people with high BMIs at also happen to be quite tall, and thus their BMI is higher than it would be for someone of similar build who is of normal height.
                If your 70kg and:
                1.5 metres your obsese
                1.6 metres your overweight
                1.7 metres your normal
                2 metres your underweight

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  If your 70kg and:
                  1.5 metres your obsese
                  1.7 metres your normal
                  You're*

Isn't the minimum height still 5' 4"?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    You're*

Isn't the minimum height still 5' 4"?
                    157.48 cm / 5 ft 2 in

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      If your 70kg and:
                      1.5 metres your obsese
                      1.7 metres your normal
                      I'm not fat - I'm just too short.

Comment

so just got the times and dates for 2Bde fitness tests
                        all on a weekday early in the morning, parts 1+2 on one day and part 3 on second day - as per normal.
                        FML
                        However just one day is set aside to accomodate the RDF
                        a Thursday evening
                        at 6pm
                        on which parts 1,2 and 3 will all be held on the same night.
                        Last edited by morpheus; 12 March 2015, 16:39.
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

on the other side of the coin in my AO RDF IT's were cancelled by the tester last weekend because only 4 people had put their names down. I'd been training and was ready. Me and my 3 lads were good to go but could any other RDF units get off their hole ? Tester was absolutely right - not coming in for 4. ( and it was Sat and Sun for Part III ). Wasn't a lack of knowledge they were on either; they were all briefed for the date in mid december ).

Swings and roundabouts lads.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            on the other side of the coin in my AO RDF IT's were cancelled by the tester last weekend because only 4 people had put their names down. I'd been training and was ready. Me and my 3 lads were good to go but could any other RDF units get off their hole ? Tester was absolutely right - not coming in for 4. ( and it was Sat and Sun for Part III ). Wasn't a lack of knowledge they were on either; they were all briefed for the date in mid december ).

Swings and roundabouts lads.
                            Check PMs

Comment

I thought you weren't allowed to run parts 1,2 and 3 together on the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                                I thought you weren't allowed to run parts 1,2 and 3 together on the same day.
                                This is the info I had on my PTL course.

Now this info i recieved on the dates may be a typo so ive sent a req for clarification back to coy HQ.
                                we shall wait n see
                                Last edited by morpheus; 12 March 2015, 17:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X