Duvet Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duvet Jacket

I'm looking at buying a new Duvet Jacket. My Snugpak has gone walkies and Montane has seen better days. Looking at a cold weather jacket something like the Snugpak Sasquatch or Montane extreme smock jacket. Anyone used either or something similar?
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

i have a montane extreme smock for civvy mountaineering.

its quite warm but really only suitable for extremely cold weather. mine only only comes out of the kit bag for ice climbing/winter mountaineering in scotland or the odd time there's snow on the hills here. the Mr.s brought it to Nepal a few years ago and lived in it. so that would give you an idea as to whether it would be usable here in average irish outdoor weather. Probably a bit warmer than a buffalo shirt when static and definitely more insulation in it than buffalo. doesn't pack down very small but when i use it its generally cold enough that its on all the time and i layer over it with hardshell waterproof if its monsoon weather or a belay type jacket if static and really cool temps.

overall, great tough bit of kit but i find it too warm unless temp is around zero or below.

hope that helps.
    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

i've also had a Montane Extreme Smock - tbh i found it a pain in the arse because of stupid design faults.

the big belly/kangeroo pocket has zips in each side, but the zips go right to the bottom of the pocket, so unless you do the zips up, anything in them just falls out with the motion of walking, or reaching for a brew, or tuning the wheel of whatever you're driving. secondly it has a 'map' pocket on the chest closed by velcro - but three bits off velco on top of each other, so its a pig, a two handed job to get in and out of, the velcro on the cuffs catches the velcro on the pocket, and then the pocket isn't remotely big enough to use for anthing bigger than some sweets, or a pair of gloves...

utter pump.

it is very warm/winterproof, and because it has a hood included its cheaper than the buffalo in total - but i found the niggles just too much hassle.

snugpack do a buffalo rip off - the pile shirt - its pretty good, and quite a bit cheaper than the other two.

Comment

Ropebag, with a little bit of judicious cutting away you can take the three bits of velcro on the map pocket and make them into a standard velcro closure. i did with mine after about a half day of faffing around with the pocket. saying that i do agree with you the pocket is a bit useless and nothing like as useful as the map pocket on a Buffalo.

the hood and crotch strap are good points with it though...and its an indestructable top too. always good for tactical stuff if you get a green one.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Mountain Equipment do decent ones. Brought mine into the Arctic circle and it did the job just fine. Think it's the vega or arete, can't remember. Squashes down small too.

Comment

yeah, i've got an ME Fitzroy that gets the odd outing...

lots of blokes here have got the Sasquatch, and the beefier one, the Blizzard - in fact pretty much all the available jackets/tops have got users and proponants. i would say that the pile jackets have fewer followers because just aren't as good for standing around as the hollow fibre, but they are better when soaking wet than the softies et al..

swings and roundabouts - tbh, i use the issue softie quite a bit: its pretty warm, good pockets and it goes well past my bum, meaning it both keeps my peach-like cheeks out of the wind and i can sit on it when i'm being lazy.

when you're as idle as me, this is an important consideration...

Comment

i suppose the point has been made.....what exactly do you want the new jacket to do Duffman?

active stuff in cold weather or standing around looking gorgeous in the very cold

Comment

Primarily for being standing around being gorgeous in the cold (Irish levels of cold that is). I don't like wearing anything that heavy when active. Sure between CBA, BV and a half decent base layer you don't really need much else IMO!
                "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

then i'd go for a sasquatch or something similar.....much as i think the pile Buffalo type tops are the dogs, i've come to the conclusion you do have to be active to get the best out of them. for standing around like a handsome man there are better insulating jackets like the snugpaks, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X