British Army Reserve Commando Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army Reserve Commando Engineers

British Army Reservists going through Commando Training in preparation for the Reserve Forces Commando Course. The bottom field assault course must must be completed in under 5 minutes whilst carrying 14.5kg of equipment/rifle.

RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Then the course...

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

After the course...

worked with these recently, good bunch of well motivated lads indeed.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Not a beard in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
          Not a beard in the house.
          nor Bugle Major!
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Are the shades a requirement, or just for the look of the thing?
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

ballistic glasses ?
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                Are the shades a requirement, or just for the look of the thing?
                usually worn when live-firing and on exercise / operations.

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                ballistic glasses ?
                yes they all appear to be wearing the standard issue Sawfly Ballistic Glasses:

The Sawfly® spectacles are Revision's classic protective eyewear: ballistic performance, customizability, fit & function. Browse our selection online!
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Anyone even considering joining the british forces would be an idiot to go regular. If I could do it all again, I'd go reserves, or not at all.

The sheer level of courses made available to them, is a source of jealousy to me. I sat at a table with a bunch of reservists who were with us on an adventure training holiday a while ago. The colonel sitting with us was asking what courses we wanted etc. Was taking down details from the reservists to ensure they got anything they could fit in that year. Couldn't believe it. Lads in 15 months had more career courses and overseas exs done with the TA than my paltry few years as a regular. Broke my heart.

Having said all this, anyone Ive met from 131 have been quality. All have achieved a bit of civvy street, and they dont **** around once they put on the uniform. Lot of respect for them!
                  Last edited by gibedepusib0ss; 8 February 2015, 10:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
                    Anyone even considering joining the british forces would be an idiot to go regular. If I could do it all again, I'd go reserves, or not at all.

The sheer level of courses made available to them, is a source of jealousy to me. I sat at a table with a bunch of reservists who were with us on an adventure training holiday a while ago. The colonel sitting with us was asking what courses we wanted etc. Was taking down details from the reservists to ensure they got anything they could fit in that year. Couldn't believe it. Lads in 15 months had more career courses and overseas exs done with the TA than my paltry few years as a regular. Broke my heart.

Having said all this, anyone Ive met from 131 have been quality. All have achieved a bit of civvy street, and they dont **** around once they put on the uniform. Lot of respect for them!
                    it's all changed since my day!
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      it's all changed since my day!
                      it has - whenever we're looking to take reservists on a trip or big exercise pretty much the whole of the regimental and Bty HQ's go around the various TA centres we're affiliated with to meet the blokes and work out programmes and any issues they might have. this won't be a one off thing either, even if that TA centre happens to be 300 miles from where we're based...

when they come here - or we meet them at another training area - for build-up or exercises, they are always met by the BC, BK or BSM regardless of when they get in on the friday might, usually with pizza and beer.

reservists can be half of the people we've got on a task, if they don't feel valued they'll just walk - but we'll still be left with the whole task... (and, lets be straight up, 90+% of the reservists i've worked with have been top blokes who could have walked into a regular job without a bead of sweat).

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                        people are the big cost, and if Ireland wants the shiny toys to make its DF work better, and the budget to go on overseas ex's, then it has to reduce the day-to-day cost base of the DF.
                        Shiney toys? Overseas Ex? I thought you lot were looking after that for us now that we're friends!?

Comment

Whats the usual duration of BA/TA overseas eXs? Going up north wont involve going OS.

Comment

6 to 8 weeks is normal for a Regular OTX and Reserve OTX is normally 2 weeks.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

i would tend to agree with most of your post Paul except this part:

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                              I would have thought that as an institution the regulars will want to defend their jobs and gradually we’ll see a lot less of the army reserve, fewer Gucci trips and overseas opportunities.
                              on the contrary, the Regular Army now requires the Army Reserve to function and we are part of their exercise and deployment orbat. Regulars realise this now and the ethos is being promoted at every level.

all Reserve units are now paired with a Regular unit and we train, exercise and deploy together and from what i have seen already this bond is becoming stronger and Reservists are now included in any Regular training and deployments and inline with Army2020 we all have an 'AOR' to cover and we also do this jointly.

for us, our paired Regular and Reserve battalions will be exercising together in Wales soon, and both Battalions will deploy on exercise to Africa together early next year. we have Regulars visiting our paired Reserve unit, and we have Reservists visiting our paired Regular unit too to get a better understanding for each other also. things are looking brighter and better for the future, with even smaller operations like Mali now being opened up to Reservists too.
                              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 10 February 2015, 12:59.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X