AC fighter aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    I've seen what was there in the old cathode ray screen days and what's there now and the difference is stellar. Anything that flies can be picked up and even things like paragliders or flocks of birds can be picked up. A TU-95 has a radar return like a barn door (all those lovely reflective propellers, turning at slow RPM so that it gives lovely returns....which is why they developed stand-off missiles as it's primary weapon).......C252 also has a valid point; the only thing they are considering is changing out the Cessnas, so anything more lethal is not going to happen
    Well, given the line of sight limitations - the locations of the primary radar heads (at airports) must lead to some significant blind spots, not just in to valleys etc - but limitations on their coverage of the Atlantic seaboard.

I don't doubt the equipment in service is excellent and fit for purpose, nor do I question the rationale for their current locations - that all makes perfect sense.

But there's a reason for siting additional primary radar systems away from airports, on mountain tops etc. and I think it would be one of the basic but essential things to do before fighter aircraft were even considered.

Anyway, back to Cessna replacements

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      The Hawk 200 is a single-seat, lightweight multirole combat fighter with emphasis on air defence, air superiority, anti-shipping, air-denial, long-range interdiction, short-range close air support and ground attack.[25] Indonesia, Malaysia and Oman have ordered 62 aircraft

Looks like BAe might disagree with you on the trainer designation.
      Air superiority in a subsonic jet? Not since the 1950's.

Comment

• In relation to option 2 posted by ODIN. What about Aldegrove for QRA. A busy little spot with all the infrastructure, not sure about arresting equipment ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          Well. Option two and three just ain't gonna happen. Option one - the EU would be told to naff off by the next government (on the behest of Sinn Fein, a major coalition partner) as it is interfering with Irish Neutrality.
          ...But we are not Neutral...strictly speaking (can't find where I posted my well researched point on this for reference)
          Last edited by ODIN; 15 February 2015, 23:28.
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
            ...But we are not Neutral...strictly speaking (can't find where I posted my well researched point on this for reference)
            I know Ireland is not in any real sense of the word neutral, and in times of trouble would rely on it's much reviled neigbour to pull it's nuts out of the fire, but a large proportion of the voters in Ireland would disagree with us, and (according to todays Indo) the political party that would disband the Defence Forces and replace it with it's own criminals is set to become the largest opposition party if not a member of a Coalition Government as the will of the Irish voter (God help us!).
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• lets just ask Mr obama dose he want a new air base in shannon. In return they can upgrade our air corp / defence forces... walter mitty land here i am two feet in.
              Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helihead View Post
                In relation to option 2 posted by ODIN. What about Aldegrove for QRA. A busy little spot with all the infrastructure, not sure about arresting equipment ?
                too close to either Lossiemouth and Conningsby (in supersonic, toes-down QRA terms..) to be worth the effort in circumstances short of conflict, and the security/political issue is one that wouldn't help its case. Valley isn't far - neither is Prestwick - and they don't have any such problems.

only a location like Shannon or Knock would add much to the current UK AD picture - our 'ring' of QRA/FOB airfields is Lossie, Stornoway, Valley, Culdrose, Boscombe, Marham and Conningsby (long announced, nothing secret there..) putting another roughly in-between Valley and Stornoway/Lossiemouth wouldn't bring that much to the table while using lots of security assets that might be better employed elsewhere.
                Last edited by ropebag; 16 February 2015, 00:06.

Comment

• I suppose, putting it bluntly, the aim from the RAF point of view is to stop anything nasty reaching the west coast of Wales, not the west coast of Ireland...

Comment

I suppose, putting it bluntly, the aim from the RAF point of view is to stop anything nasty reaching the west coast of Wales, not the west coast of Ireland...
                    true and not true - yes the UK's responsibilty does not extend to covering Ireland, but in covering Ireland we would make ourselves safer: much better for us to send that BLACKJACK into the sea 300 miles west of Castlebar than 300 miles west of Valley.

Comment

I suppose, putting it bluntly, the aim from the RAF point of view is to stop anything nasty reaching the west coast of Wales, not the west coast of Ireland...
                      My point exactly...nobody else is going to protect and police our air space. Time for the Government to grow up and make some tough calls regarding defence.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                        true and not true - yes the UK's responsibilty does not extend to covering Ireland, but in covering Ireland we would make ourselves safer: much better for us to send that BLACKJACK into the sea 300 miles west of Castlebar than 300 miles west of Valley.
                        Suits me. I'm too damn close to the West Wales coast to argue with that!

Comment

• like i said
                          600m annually spent on overseas aid by this country
                          reduce this by 100m per annum and stick it in the defence budget
                          open a competition for leasing of fast jets instead (Gripens)
                          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• If you can reduce overseas aid from 600m to 100m Defence is the last place it will be spent.

As much as I agree with you.
                            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• meant reduce BY 100m pa
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                                If you can reduce overseas aid from 600m to 100m Defence is the last place it will be spent.

As much as I agree with you.
                                What does overseas/peacekeeping cost us per year? Take it from the overseas aid spend. Redistribute savings to the DF.

Comment

Working...
                                X