Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Thing about EUNAVFOR Med / Operation Sophia is that will operate in Libyian national waters (or be it with a UNSCR and Libyian consent. It would be very contraveral and potentially a lot more dangerous.

All the power of the EU and what is deployed?
    1 x Carrier
    1 x Auxiliary
    1 x Survey Ship
    1 x Frigate
    1 x Minehunter
    3 x Helicopters organic (so the carrier has a total of 2)
    3 x MPA

The mission deploys assets based on their capabilities.
    The Slovenians had a PV around 60m involved last year.
    Their role was migrant rescue and maritime surveillance/intel gathering, similar to what the NS ships are doing down there.
    The Frigate/Carrier were the forward based ships IVO Lybian waters
    So could we be part of EUNAVFOR Med, without a doubt, yes.

(All above info is in the public domain BTW )

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
      The mission deploys assets based on their capabilities.
      The Slovenians had a PV around 60m involved last year.
      Their role was migrant rescue and maritime surveillance/intel gathering, similar to what the NS ships are doing down there.
      The Frigate/Carrier were the forward based ships IVO Lybian waters
      So could we be part of EUNAVFOR Med, without a doubt, yes.

(All above info is in the public domain BTW )
      My point is that is a very small force (especially a lack of helos) to cover the area

Comment

My point is that is a very small force (especially a lack of helos) to cover the area

Also daily patrols by MPA with sensors.

That frigate involved id imagine, is carrying out the disruption of smuggling ops and gathering intel.

We dont see a lot of whats going on i hazard a guess.

Comment

• Irish mediterranean operations

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
          Also daily patrols by MPA with sensors.

That frigate involved id imagine, is carrying out the disruption of smuggling ops and gathering intel.

We dont see a lot of whats going on i hazard a guess.
          Reading back all threads, I don't think it is correct to say that the Irish ship is operating as a lone unsupported vessel in rescue operations. We are there, in the first place, to assist and augment the Italian rescue effort. All key actions are by request from the Italian Agencies and we will recall a visit on board by the Italian Fleet Admiral. Those rescued are landed to Italian ports and are duly processed by them.
          The key evolving points are the high rate of initial mistreatment of migrants and their consequential fragility at sea, including dying within a couple of days or less, and then the possibility of an offensive action against a vessel alone, while undertaking a rescue. Does assisting include a support response from Italian units?
          Last edited by ancientmariner; 25 July 2016, 13:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
            Reading back all threads, I don't think it is correct to say that the Irish ship is operating as a lone unsupported vessel in rescue operations. We are there, in the first place, to assist and augment the Italian rescue effort. All key actions are by request from the Italian Agencies and we will recall a visit on board by the Italian Fleet Admiral. Those rescued are landed to Italian ports and are duly processed by them.
            The key evolving points are the high rate of initial mistreatment of migrants and their consequential fragility at sea, including dying within a couple of days or less, and then the possibility of an offensive action against a vessel alone, while undertaking a rescue. Does assisting include a support response from Italian units?
            The NS mission is solely humanitarian.

Having said that if they see something I'm sure they would report it

Comment

The NS mission is solely humanitarian.
              Right up until the last second before a terrorist stands up from the middle of a crowded boat of refugees and levels an RPG or AK at a rib or at the distant patrol vessel. Hopefully wont happen, infact, probably wont happen, but its a possibility.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I didn't say that they aren't allowed to defend the ship and themselves. I'm sure they are.

Comment

I didn't say that they aren't allowed to defend the ship and themselves. I'm sure they are.
                  their not just allowed, they would be instructed too, I can think of a few documents familiar to anyone who served which cover this possibility, the ship is an asset to and the property of the Irish taxpayer, and therefore must be defended, for reasons of the survival of the crew and continuing the mission, as well as a host of other reasons, it's common sense really, any other option would only occur in a badly conceived, and written political thriller.
                  Last edited by Turkey; 25 July 2016, 18:00.
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I didn't say that they aren't allowed to defend the ship and themselves. I'm sure they are.
                    Exactly, the NS isnt doing Missionary work.

Comment

• JJ has been very busy today:
                      The Italian coastguard has said some 6,500 migrants have been rescued off the Libyan coast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        The count on board today seems to be 600 plus from a selection of large inflatables and smaller mixed type boats and one large wooden craft which has a history of being unsafe. Some people jumped overboard from craft causing unplanned rescues. They seemed to be a mix of Sub-Saharan's and North African/ Syrian Arabs with many women and children. Well done for being there and making the difference.

Comment

• Here's a link to the Navy's photo's of the operation yesterday, looks like organised chaos
                          Irish Naval Service, Cobh, Ireland. 53,953 likes · 538 talking about this · 287 were here. The Naval Service is the State's Principal Seagoing Agency.

Comment

• James Joyce Activity

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                            Here's a link to the Navy's photo's of the operation yesterday, looks like organised chaos
                            https://www.facebook.com/irishnavals...78156318933930
                            More action off Lybia, 10th September 2016, with a fleet of NGO vessels, they rescued some 2000 souls , of which JJ's share was 423. The latter were transferred to other vessels to allow our vessel to remain on task. Some 18 migrant vessels were at sea looking for salvation. that makes about 2300 pick-ups for JAMES JOYCE.

Comment

• Guardian newspaper last week reported Libyan coast guard vessels raking NGO vessel with 12.7mm MG fire

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                                Guardian newspaper last week reported Libyan coast guard vessels raking NGO vessel with 12.7mm MG fire
                                Yeah think it was mentioned somewhere else here at the time, maybe Med Sailor might have some more information about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X