Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    I remember hearing the ships were designed to carry three times their crew if necessary. Where on a p21 class do you fit 400 plus people?
    Wow I wouldn't have thought you could fit that many on them to be honest. Must have been standing room only.

Comment

• I see on Spanish Coastguard page one of their Helicopters airlifted an injured crewman from WB Yeats.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I'm sure they all knew what they were doing, and this is in no way a criticism (I don't know much about aeromed!), but I was very surprised that the casualty was not put in a lifejacket before being put in the basket and winched.

Does anybody know what's the rationale behind it?

Anyway, best wishes to the chap and I hope he recovers soon.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Basket looked inappropriate, no life jackets

Comment

• The two lads looked like they were going clubbing for the night , watch out for the next episode of Sun Sea and A and E .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• The two lads looked like they were going clubbing for the night , watch out for the next episode of Sun Sea and A and E .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• I presume the guy in jeans was the patients hospital buddy, was the patient strapped into the basket in any way?
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Hope the lads ok, he didn't look the may west.

Lot to be said for having a heli and deck on an opv.
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    I remember hearing the ships were designed to carry three times their crew if necessary. Where on a p21 class do you fit 400 plus people?
                    That was published for SAR purposes in NOTAMs back in the day, look at some of the loads Eithne carried in the early days of Pontus and you'll find that it was far in excess of the 70 odd she was designed to accommodate.

Anyone who has attended a 'cabin session' will bear witness to the actual amounts of people who could fit in a cabin,certainn 4 berths on Eithne often had three times that amount!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      Hope the lads ok, he didn't look the may west.

some kind of leg injury looks like

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      That was published for SAR purposes in NOTAMs back in the day, look at some of the loads Eithne carried in the early days of Pontus and you'll find that it was far in excess of the 70 odd she was designed to accommodate.

Anyone who has attended a 'cabin session' will bear witness to the actual amounts of people who could fit in a cabin,certainn 4 berths on Eithne often had three times that amount!
                      Not forgetting of course that PONTUS survivors are "Accommodated" outside.

The spec I believe was for 100 survivors

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        Hope the lads ok, he didn't look the may west.

On the Spanish Coastguard facebook post there's someone posting that he was the patient, that he's fine now but had a collapsed lung and needed two surgeries.
                        Last edited by Sparky42; 20 July 2017, 15:28.

Comment

• A Breaking News article:
                          An Irish Naval Service crewman who fell ill while on humanitarian duty in the Mediterranean has thanked the Spanish coast guard for saving his life.

Comment

• Shipboard Casualty.

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                            A collapsed lung and torn arteries sounds like major trauma . It would be interesting to hear the circumstances. I had an experience of falling on a boat, breaking a rib, and a week later , collapsing lung, and pericarditis with klaxons to CUH for a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              A collapsed lung and torn arteries sounds like major trauma . It would be interesting to hear the circumstances. I had an experience of falling on a boat, breaking a rib, and a week later , collapsing lung, and pericarditis with klaxons to CUH for a week.
                              I crushed a vertabrae in a Searider back in '87.... helo wasn't available for a mere rating so I had to endure being lowered in the boarding boat and being then driven by ambulance to Bantry General hospital.

Sounds like a fall or crush injury of some description. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to the young man.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The Naval Service is set to expand its use of drones after their first deployment on an operational mission proved an outstanding success, capturing critical footage of a people smuggler changing his clothes to blend in with migrants.

Comment

Working...
                                X