Thanks Thanks:  437
Likes Likes:  1,006
Dislikes Dislikes:  35
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was impressed. I won't go over the top but those Right Wing pundits on the later show were an in appropriate intervention. The humanity and attempts to resuscitate, feed,and care for so many traumatized people brings admiration it deserves. Medals? I would give a relevant DSM to boat crews, medics, and caterers for efforts above and beyond! I love the way Op Pontus has taken on some of the aspects of Op Sophia, especially the destruction of smuggler boats and the "Stand To" on the intrusion of the Libyan CG/Navy.

2. Thanks DeV, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Sparky42, ias, Marius liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    i love the way Op Pontus has taken on some of the aspects of Op Sophia, especially the destruction of smuggler boats and the "Stand To" on the intrusion of the Libyan CG/Navy.
    reasonable approach to adopt

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horrendous situation.

Maybe use of large placards with pictures showing people to "sit down" and loud short sound blasts to stop people shouting?

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Preferably between Kirsty Gallagher's legs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    Horrendous situation.

Maybe use of large placards with pictures showing people to "sit down" and loud short sound blasts to stop people shouting?
    I was looking at that and thinking the same thing, maybe some speakers on the ribs that play pre-recorded messages in french & arabic as the rib approaches, however having never set foot on a rib I wonder is it practical?
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Contract was out for them a few years ago
    Knew that there was a contract for them, but I've never seen them fitted before, cheers.

8. Likes DeV liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having been there, done that, got the t-shirt over the past 15 years, I can honestly say that the level of performance and professionalism shown by the Irish Naval Service is unmatched by navies 10 times their size. Small navies and coastguards bring with them a can-do mindset and this has been more than evident throughout all the NS deployments I have had the honour to watch and support.
    Simply put, in navy speak, BRAVO ZULU!

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cunningham is more crack when he's on the drink.

Another lovey who wants to inflect refugees on the poorer areas. Because they wont be housed in his nice area.

11. Dislikes na grohmití disliked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long before it's available to us ex-islanders?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Cunningham is more crack when he's on the drink.

Another lovey who wants to inflect refugees on the poorer areas. Because they wont be housed in his nice area.
    He seemed willing to accept them in his own home if required.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I was looking at that and thinking the same thing, maybe some speakers on the ribs that play pre-recorded messages in french & arabic as the rib approaches, however having never set foot on a rib I wonder is it practical?
    How many languages are you going to stop at. Which do you play first? The refugees come from all parts of africa, and may only have a basic knowledge of either french or arabic. Affirmative Shouting and hand signals are the best tool in the situation.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Preferably between Kirsty Gallagher's legs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmit?* View Post
    How many languages are you going to stop at. Which do you play first? The refugees come from all parts of africa, and may only have a basic knowledge of either french or arabic. Affirmative Shouting and hand signals are the best tool in the situation.
    I suppose looking at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa most of north african countries speak either arabic or french, while they come from all parts most are north African
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose looking at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa most of north african countries speak either arabic or french, while they come from all parts most are north African

My view would be ONLY one person in the RIB would give instructions by mostly hand signals that are universally understood such as STOP, SIT DOWN, LISTEN, and then converse with an available English speaker.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spotted an article that armed service allowance being awarded to all on Med ops.

18. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, DeV, ias, sofa, Turkey, Graylion liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Spotted an article that armed service allowance being awarded to all on Med ops.
    Money is nice, and it will come. I see at the EU meeting in Malta, 3rd February 2017 , that another E 200m has been agreed to deal with the ongoing refugee surges in the Mediterranean . They deem Operation Sophia as being less successful than had been planned. They would like to center the containment effort in the Libyan approaches and in Libyan holding camps, however that place is considered as an unsafe refuge. It is obvious that the fragmented Libyan authorities do not wish to accommodate Sub-Saharan populations, so some effort needs to be put in hand further South to decrease numbers traveling North. Our next concern is , will we deploy another ship to Operation Pontius and if so we must take into account that Libyan CG/Navy may be more active off the Libyan Coast if they get involved in stopping migrant smuggling, as part of an EU financed strategy.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is that not all versions of Arabic are mutually understandable. But we should recruit some people from that region for this work. There are plenty of qualified people available after this influx of refugees, I am sure.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given that we are heading towards the end of February has there been any talk/rumour about a new deployment for this year?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not that I have heard, but the refugees are already washing up, dead, on the Libyan coast.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/21/af...igrant-deaths/

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apart from the announcement of the allowance for operations, just saw on RTE that deployment will resume next month, 3 ship pattern 12 weeks a ship.

24. Thanks Orion, DeV, ias thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Apart from the announcement of the allowance for operations, just saw on RTE that deployment will resume next month, 3 ship pattern 12 weeks a ship.
    that will be half the fleet that have global range plus about 160 in crews and maybe a few extras. I wish them well and Bon voyage.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    that will be half the fleet that have global range plus about 160 in crews and maybe a few extras. I wish them well and Bon voyage.
    No question on extra's, unless the Navy have replaced the Army Medic's.

Post Thanks / Like

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The government said we needed 8 ships in the white paper. If they plan to send a ship to the med on a regular basis, then we should have at least nine ships, maintaining at least 8 for coastal and fishery protection

Post Thanks / Like
    doh

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    The government said we needed 8 ships in the white paper. If they plan to send a ship to the med on a regular basis, then we should have at least nine ships, maintaining at least 8 for coastal and fishery protection
    P31 (1)
    P41 (2)
    P42 (3)
    P51 (4)
    P52 (5)
    P61 (6)
    P62 (7)
    P63 (8)
    Plus P64 currently being built makes 9.
    What's your point?

31. Likes ias liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    P31 (1)
    P41 (2)
    P42 (3)
    P51 (4)
    P52 (5)
    P61 (6)
    P62 (7)
    P63 (8)
    Plus P64 currently being built makes 9.
    What's your point?

P64 is a replacement for one of the P40s (which one yet to be decided)

33. Likes DeV liked this post

Thread Information