No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So no 9 ship Navy then. Is that confirmed? One of the Peacocks is being struck?

Comment

• Aisling was towed away over the weekend towards Europe . Didn't hear anything about P41/P42. Current roll call 2 CPV's, 1 Hpv (- ), 5 OPV's, 1 OPV (Building ). The former three ships are due replacement within next few years to maintain a 9 ship Navy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
        So no 9 ship Navy then. Is that confirmed? One of the Peacocks is being struck?

One of the P40 to be retired. Which one, is still up for decision.

If i was a guessing man id say the retired one will be stripped bare to keep the other going for the remainder of its service.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

If i was a guessing man id say the retired one will be stripped bare to keep the other going for the remainder of its service.
          So is the WP plan already junked in terms of the proposed replacement of the CPV's?

Comment

WOuld it not make more sense to dispose of both at the same time? Some inshore coast guard might have use for them, but their usefulness is limited as 2 ships, even less for one. The accom standards aboard are no longer fit for purpose, and compared to all other ships, being posted in those conditions aboard this single unit could be seen as punishment to our bright new snowflake generation. Not to mention the obvious gender bias.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
              WOuld it not make more sense to dispose of both at the same time? Some inshore coast guard might have use for them, but their usefulness is limited as 2 ships, even less for one.
              Why not see if the Philippines want them to join with their sisters?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                So is the WP plan already junked in terms of the proposed replacement of the CPV's?
                No not necessarily.

The establishment would have to be increased to enable operation of a 9th ship.

That would involve more recruits/cadets/direct entries.

That cant happen overnight.

The current strength is struggling to man 8 ships.

Comment

Not the worst idea in the world. Its designed for their waters anyway.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Can her armament be reused here?

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                      Can her armament be reused here?
                      Could be used as the armament of P64 surely?

Comment

• Same thought here provided it is servicble and can be coupled up to the FCS etc.

Comment

• Leaves you with the problem of getting the provider of power systems and FCS matching his system to the gun. Also the builder fitting the gun and ammo supply system to the dimensional aspects of the ship. All our guns are old MARKS and in the case of Peacocks pre 1982. If I could avoid it, I would not do it as the gun would be 65 years old at the end of the new ship's life.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                            Leaves you with the problem of getting the provider of power systems and FCS matching his system to the gun. Also the builder fitting the gun and ammo supply system to the dimensional aspects of the ship. All our guns are old MARKS and in the case of Peacocks pre 1982. If I could avoid it, I would not do it as the gun would be 65 years old at the end of the new ship's life.
                            Are the two Peacock mounts different marks to those on the P60's? If not then I don't see why any of those would be an issue? Moreover haven't we bought second hand 76mm's for the 60's anyway, and given the comments in regard to how the budget is being squeezed to provide for capital expenditure, shouldn't the upfront saving of €5 million by reusing the mount be looked at? Unless we were to get a good offer for a complete hull...

Comment

• Was there not an issue with the Oto's on the P40's and a potential to self destruct at max ROF?

Comment

The Philippines have been planning to upgrade their "Peacocks" for some time now ....If they go ahead I'd say they would love to obtain both P40s. (Sell both)

I'd personally replace them with a pair of RN Batch1 Rivers. If they become available they will be inexpensive and will be good for at least 20 years.

The INS can then concentrate on a significant replacement for LE Eithne.

On 24 April 2017, in a written answer to a question raised by Sir Nicholas Soames, Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Defence Harriet Baldwin stated Severn would be decommissioned in 2017, with Mersey and Clyde following in 2019[14]. As of April 2017, no date has been given Tyne's decommissioning.

So they are available.........HMS Clyde was constructed as a variant with helideck (just sayin')
                                Last edited by Galloglass; 26 April 2017, 00:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X