Thanks Thanks:  477
Likes Likes:  1,040
Dislikes Dislikes:  36
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 1,226 to 1,242 of 1242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Op Sophia's mandate:
    "EUNAVFOR MED Operation Sophia is the EU naval operation disrupting the business model of migrant smugglers and human traffickers in the Southern Central Mediterranean. The operation has two supporting tasks: training the Libyan Coastguard and Navy and contributing to the implementation of the UN arms embargo on the high seas off the coast of Libya in accordance with UNSCR 2292 (2016) and 2357 (2017)"

Since this does not include SAR or specifically embarking migrants, it should have very little effect on the mission.

It would have impacted on the previous Irish OP PONTUS or the Italian mission OP Mare Sicuro as they were SAR missions.
    OP SOPHIA while not having SAR as a primary focus does have it in its mission

https://www.operationsophia.eu/mission-at-a-glance/

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    OP SOPHIA while not having SAR as a primary focus does have it in its mission

https://www.operationsophia.eu/mission-at-a-glance/
    Irrespective of missions, in any event, all ships aware of an incidence of lives being in jeopardy at sea , are required by Law of the Sea to render assistance and remain on scene until matters are resolved.

3. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes Shaqra, DeV, Orion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Irrespective of missions, in any event, all ships aware of an incidence of lives being in jeopardy at sea , are required by Law of the Sea to render assistance and remain on scene until matters are resolved.
    Absolutely

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sam b has her ais switched off since the 22nd of april and considering that on all ops , both sofia and pontus, all irish ships switched on the ais when approaching port for replenishment, would this suggest that she may have preformed RAS and if so , would this be a first?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    ......considering that on all ops , both sofia and pontus, all irish ships switched on the ais when approaching port for replenishment.....
    I think you have provided the answer to your own question

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    I think you have provided the answer to your own question
    Her AIS has been renamed to EU Warship

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...l:EU%20WARSHIP

Last seen Malta outbound on 06 June 2018

8. Thanks na grohmití, restless thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like

Photos Taken 5th June.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

10. Thanks Turkey, EUFighter, ias thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    So much for opsec, that website gives details of all future naval visits including ins, jj to call on 3rd of september apparently

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    All commercial ports must do that. However that gives no guarantee that the ship will visit then.

13. Thanks hptmurphy, EUFighter thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    So much for opsec, that website gives details of all future naval visits including ins, jj to call on 3rd of september apparently
    The ship you mention is leaving today to relieve P61 in the Mediterranean for next three months. Big home coming at Base in two weeks time for SB.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ship you mention is leaving today to relieve P61 in the Mediterranean for next three months. Big home coming at Base in two weeks time for SB.
    Great to see on Facebook our P62 carrying out RAS exercise with Force Logistic units in the Mediterranean. Fleet co-operation with multinational units adds to a developing CV?

16. Likes DeV, na grohmití liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always believed also that the type of German support vessel involved in the RAS exercise would make a great asset to our flotilla. The type usually supports smaller missile and mine warfare fast patrol craft, but can also see service alone.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    good break there for sailors ,, first r.a.s in the med .. lovely weather for it...

Post Thanks / Like
    She is the Mosel an ELbe Class support vessel which normally support German Minesweepers in the Baltic, as for specs:

Displacement 3586tonnes
    Length 100m
    Beam 15.4m
    Draught 4.05m
    Crew 36+

http://www.marine.de/portal/a/marine...A0IEENH55I18I1

As such she should fit into the basin and would be something nice to have

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see on Facebook our P62 carrying out RAS exercise with Force Logistic units in the Mediterranean. Fleet co-operation with multinational units adds to a developing CV?
    Some nice pictures, when I see the rear of that BAM I do think "hold on a minute they stole our design!". Looks so much like a second generation P30, improved, but basically a lot of the same design features.
    We were so far ahead of the game back at the start of the '80s, without going into the details why, which we know well enough, it is interesting to dwell on the what if? What is Eithne had three sisters, what if we have a second generation P30? Does seem that a lot of modern OPV designs now share a lot with the design and layout of the Eithne: Spanish BAM, Lurssen OPV80/85/90 even the mighty Holland class all have a similar config.

21. Likes DeV liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    Some nice pictures, when I see the rear of that BAM I do think "hold on a minute they stole our design!". Looks so much like a second generation P30, improved, but basically a lot of the same design features.
    We were so far ahead of the game back at the start of the '80s, without going into the details why, which we know well enough, it is interesting to dwell on the what if? What is Eithne had three sisters, what if we have a second generation P30? Does seem that a lot of modern OPV designs now share a lot with the design and layout of the Eithne: Spanish BAM, Lurssen OPV80/85/90 even the mighty Holland class all have a similar config.
    The Genesis and development of the OPV started with a series of Icelandic vessels 1929-1960's and continuing, followed by the RN/SFV OPV classes, and taken forward swiftly with six OPV variants by ourselves p20 basic, p21 + WT standards, P22,23 with Bow thrusters, P31 +HPV , P50,51, 80m + better gun, P61,62,63,64, 90m. There have been similar variants built by others but most making better naval use of their platforms to increase performance in the defensive role. We are freewheeling having not advanced apparent capabilities but now must ensure that the MRV will take us forward to nurture missing elements of Defending, Protecting, and Securing.

23. Thanks na grohmití, EUFighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    good break there for sailors ,, first r.a.s in the med .. lovely weather for it...

Not the first RAS (exercise) for Irish vessels in the Med under Op PONTUS or OP Sophia.

Great to see it pictured though.

25. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42 liked this post

Thread Information