Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

It seems we are about to send one of our ships to rescue migrants in peril of the sea. I'm thinking medical cover, including midwifery, injuries, dehydration, and infections. Clothing, food, of suitable categories. Ablution and toilet facilities. Adequate cover with deck insulated sheeting beneath. It will be a big task but should be within our compass, especially if we could work with another navy. We wish them well.

The Republic is to contribute a fully crewed and equipped ship to search and rescue efforts in the Mediterranean, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said.
    Speaking on his way into today’s EU extraordinary summit in Brussels on migration, the Taoiseach said that the State would offer a naval vessel to humanitarian operations in the Mediterranean.
    “Depending on the caveats and the legal requirements here in respect of search and rescue for humanitarian functions, we are prepared to allocate a fully crewed and equipped naval vessel once the legal clarifications become clear.”

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      ...I'm thinking medical cover, including midwifery, injuries, dehydration, and infections. Clothing, food, of suitable categories. Ablution and toilet facilities. Adequate cover with deck insulated sheeting beneath. It will be a big task but should be within our compass, especially if we could work with another navy. We wish them well.
      they won't need all that - they'll probably operate close to Malta, heave people out of the sea, set fire to the boat/deathtrap and be in Malta 3 hours later. they'll need lots of bottles of water, a big sunscreen lashed over the old flightdeck, and some basic first aid provision and a bucket.

given that HMS Bulwark and two other RN 'patrol' ships are going (an RFA..?) you could just piggy-back on our Logs system.

Comment

L.E. Eithne while might seem like the preferred option has a very high free board to get people aboard unless the accomadation ladders are used,
        L. E, Samuel Beckett with its TEU capacity and lengthened after deck might be a better option.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
          they won't need all that - they'll probably operate close to Malta, heave people out of the sea, set fire to the boat/deathtrap and be in Malta 3 hours later. they'll need lots of bottles of water, a big sunscreen lashed over the old flightdeck, and some basic first aid provision and a bucket.

given that HMS Bulwark and two other RN 'patrol' ships are going (an RFA..?) you could just piggy-back on our Logs system.
          Migrants could be on board more than 24 hours. A hundred people or more need taking care of and a bucket sounds dismissive. Water and shelter, especially from hot decks needs consideration. It is not unusual for people to be taken on board bare footed and soaked.Suitable sustenance and first aid is obvious. Never burn boats but disposal of a completely abandoned craft needs consideration. We have sunk at least one ship by gunfire and it took time to complete the task. I have had experience of carrying worker deck passengers from Port Said to Suez through the Canal. Water, wooden pallets, and canvas screens were provided. we had external stations with boiling water for making drinks and 4 deck toilets Moslem style . I agree we should hold hands with HMS Bulwark

Comment

The 2 "other RN vessels" are UK Border Patrol vessels

Comment

looks like we might be sending Bulwark in a command and control capacity rather than to actually pick peopl out of the sea - it turns out some lawyer has reminded the Govt that refugees/whatever can ask for asylum as soon as they enter your territory, and HM ships class as territory, so no dumping them in Italy for the Italians to deal with/pay for...

i'm shocked, shocked i tell you - and only two weeks out from an election dominated by the issue of immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                looks like we might be sending Bulwark in a command and control capacity rather than to actually pick peopl out of the sea - it turns out some lawyer has reminded the Govt that refugees/whatever can ask for asylum as soon as they enter your territory, and HM ships class as territory, so no dumping them in Italy for the Italians to deal with/pay for...

i'm shocked, shocked i tell you - and only two weeks out from an election dominated by the issue of immigration.
                Thought that was going to be the legal demand from Cameron? To be honest I figure that's the "legal clarification" that Enda want's as well, either that or something about not sinking the boats I guess.

Comment

The Law of the Sea requires all able to render aid to do so in order to save life. Don't process them as refugees. Just land them to be processed as required. They are shipwrecked or abandoned sea going persons/passengers. I wonder if the Preventative vessels have the range to steam south or will they be transported?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    The 2 "other RN vessels" are UK Border Patrol vessels
                    That makes more sense than sending expensive Naval assets.
                    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                      That makes more sense than sending expensive Naval assets.
                      Particularly as the RN cupboard is pretty damn empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        Particularly as the RN cupboard is pretty damn empty.
                        Indeed...seems to be the problem lots of Navies have these days. Those Border Agency Cutters are intended for this very role...patrolling the English Channel to prevent human trafficking (amongst other things). So a good call by Cameron.
                        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I presume the clarification is that there is also talk of using force against people smuggling ops (and the refuge situation).

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                          The Law of the Sea requires all able to render aid to do so in order to save life. Don't process them as refugees. Just land them to be processed as required. They are shipwrecked or abandoned sea going persons/passengers. I wonder if the Preventative vessels have the range to steam south or will they be transported?
                          . The clarification must be on what if someone claims refugee status while on board, we can't just do what we like internation humanitarian and human
                          Rghts law we are talking about.
                          Last edited by DeV; 24 April 2015, 18:26.

Comment

Some relevant info here

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              I presume the clarification is that there is also talk of using force against people smuggling ops (and the refuge situation).
                              If the people have been taken off already I don't see why Ireland should have a problem with sinking them to prevent their reuse to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                              X