No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This mission is going to be very good press for the service. Anything that convinces the government to buy us our new ships is a good thing I suppose.

Comment

HMS Bulwark Ready to Work in the Mediterranean

Royal Navy’s HMS Bulwark and three Merlin helicopters are now ready to operate in the Mediterranean, working closely with the Italian Navy, and coordinated via Rome.

The 19,000 tonne amphibious ship will work in tandem with the surveillance helicopters to provide a wide ranging search and rescue capability.

The aircraft, from Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, are currently stationed at the Naval Air Station Sigonella, Sicily, to be called upon when needed by the Italian coastguard. Supported by over 80 UK personnel, including air and ground crew, they have commenced their first training sortie, to familiarise themselves with the area.

From today, Tuesday, they will begin flying operations with HMS Bulwark.

Royal Navy’s HMS Bulwark and three Merlin helicopters are now ready to operate in the Mediterranean, working closely with the Italian Navy, and coordinated via Rome. The 19,000 tonne amphibious ship will work in tandem with the surveillance helicopters to provide a wide ranging search and rescue capability. The aircraft, from Royal Naval Air Station […]

Comment

It seems the Irish government were sorting out the same legalities as the UK before they would release the ship they announced to the effort.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

No offence but stating the blindingly obvious there ...

The issues that concern the UK will be the same as those concerning Ireland .....

Comment

Originally posted by Orion View Post
            No offence but stating the blindingly obvious there ...

The issues that concern the UK will be the same as those concerning Ireland .....
            i must admit that the differences in tone between the governments actions and the Presidents words are - to me - very interesting. to those with a much better grasp of Irish politics than me, who'se out of touch?

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
              i must admit that the differences in tone between the governments actions and the Presidents words are - to me - very interesting. to those with a much better grasp of Irish politics than me, who'se out of touch?
              Shouldn't really

Bear in mind that the Presidents role is very similar to that of the UKs monarchs. Its purely titular with no executive power. Some titular heads of state will be more vocal than others.

Comment

We need to be sure our allies on this rescue project know that EITHNE is no longer HOSTAC Class 1 deck. We often do things and don't tell JANES for info updating .

Comment

Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
                  I know it's difficult when looking at photos, but would I be right in saying that Eithne would be roughly the same size as this ship?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    I know it's difficult when looking at photos, but would I be right in saying that Eithne would be roughly the same size as this ship?
                    Eh, no! more then twice as long and 10 times heavier!

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      ZOMG!

ok here we go... note size of the people standing on each, for scale...

aft view of HMS BULWARK

aft view of LE Eithne
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

yep..about the same size...didn't know the Royal Navy recruited midget sailors though
                        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

HMS Bulwark
                          Displacement: 19,560 tonnes
                          Length: 176m
                          Beam: 28.9m
                          Draught: 7.1m

LE Eithne
                          Displacement: 1,910 tonnes
                          Length: 84.8m
                          Beam: 12m
                          Draught: 4.3m

Comment

"This ship is close, this one is far far away."

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              We need to be sure our allies on this rescue project know that EITHNE is no longer HOSTAC Class 1 deck. We often do things and don't tell JANES for info updating .
                              Probably have some little O/Sea with a red flag standing on the flight deck waving them off should the attempt to land.

Memories of trying to fend off a VLCC with a hand portable fender the size of a football as ordered by a now serving commander, who was but a Subbie at the time!
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

just burn off the cradle and turn the crane the other way for a temporary emergency deck.!

Comment

Working...
                                X