Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The other thing that struck me was during the transfer from the Italian Destroyer " Francesco Mimbelli" to " Niamh" the Italian boat crews seem to be wearing sidearms in holsters. Our chaps seem to be only rescuing people and cuddling the babies.
    that could be just a protocol issue, but it is disturbing and intimidating, like armed private security at spanish airports..
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      I was asking the question couldn't remember. They got 4 days
      Not all the crew will get four days as duty watches still have to be worked along with working ship. Luck to get two days of the four.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
        that could be just a protocol issue, but it is disturbing and intimidating, like armed private security at spanish airports..
        It's a kind of cultural thing with the Italians though, and they probably don't see it as disturbing.Go to any Italian city or town and you'll see all of their Police personnel from all three forces carrying sidearms, even the Polizia Finenzia.
        Last edited by Herald; 12 August 2015, 14:56.

Comment

• Interesting article here on the stability of Niamh with people on board and distributed throughout her decks.

"Aberdeen-headquartered Tymor Marine recently completed a project for the Irish Naval Service as it prepared to deploy its 1,500-tonne patrol vessel LÉ Niamh to assist with the ongoing migrant crisis in the region.

Tymor Marine was contracted to carry out a stability review of the vessel and assist with determining how many rescued refugees could be safely carried on-board. The firm utilised its custom-built MOSIS – Measurement of Stability In Service – system to take various stability measurements whilst the vessel was berthed at the naval dockyard at Haulbowline, Co Cork.

MOSIS is a method of determining the vertical centre of gravity of a floating vessel without the requirement to carry out traditional inclining tests. Consisting of hardware and software, the system allows operators to identify the centre of gravity for vessels or floating platforms in situ, removing the need for these vessels to be brought into dock.

An inclining test is normally carried out in still, inshore water and free of mooring restraints. It is used to calculate the restoring properties of a vessel. MOSIS has been accepted as an equivalent to an inclining test by Lloyds Register, Det Norske Veritas, Bureau Veritas and the American Bureau of Shipping, with approval being granted on a case by case basis."

More in the link.

Comment

The other thing that struck me was during the transfer from the Italian Destroyer " Francesco Mimbelli" to " Niamh" the Italian boat crews seem to be wearing sidearms in holsters. Our chaps seem to be only rescuing people and cuddling the babies.
            They appear to be Swedish Coast Guard , Look closely at the lettering on the RHIB .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Correct they are Swedish Coastwatch personnel. A bit overdressed for the job.

Comment

• Last post moved due OPSEC breach.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                  It's a kind of cultural thing with the Italians though, and they probably don't see it as disturbing.Go to any Italian city or town and you'll see all of their Police personnel from all three forces carrying sidearms, even the Polizia Finenzia.
                  If anyone in Italy needs to carry a gun the Guardia di Finanza do. After all they are the ones going after the mafiosa cash, intercepting their drugs etc.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    If anyone in Italy needs to carry a gun the Guardia di Finanza do. After all they are the ones going after the mafiosa cash, intercepting their drugs etc.
                    Yeah, dunno what I was thinking when I typed that, I think I meant the Polizia Provinziale, whose remit is more like a traffic/dog/litter warden here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                      Yeah, dunno what I was thinking when I typed that, I think I meant the Polizia Provinziale, whose remit is more like a traffic/dog/litter warden here.
                      Yes, them with the embarrassing small cars. Saw 4 of them in a Fiat Panda outside the Pantheon..
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

We like to project a non threatening cuddly image of ourselves.

Comment

• To be honest when you are dragging the dead, dieing, and otherwise incapacitated from 'A' to 'B' weapons can get in the way...
                          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Agree with those sentiments. More tragedy unfolding with further drownings/missing reported today among migrants. More ships and surveillance needed for earliest intervention. The key areas must be closer to the Libyan 12 mile limit.

Comment

Correct they are Swedish Coastwatch personnel. A bit overdressed for the job.
                              Apologies if this has been posted before .....

Swedish coastguard fired warning shots after mistaking Italian navy boat off Libya for vessel belonging to smugglers earlier this week

Comment

• Originally posted by Orion View Post
                                Apologies if this has been posted before .....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...incident-libya
                                Classic case of uncontrolled assets. Surely an opord/sailing order would include a basic Rules of Engagement. It is critical that matters of control and coord is done by one agency or combined HQ before the wrong people get killed.

Comment

Working...
                                X