Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    I suppose we mustn't lose perspective on incidents under the Rule that one swallow doesn't make a Summer. It is good that the Irish Navy are there to make their rescues as directed and must continue to do so until the humanitarian crisis has passed. The fall out for the Irish Navy may be Fleet replacements of considerable versatility and for use on such missions both peaceful and deterrent.
    Another fallout I would suggest is surely there's been a fair bit of corporate knowledge gained by the NS, if no more happens 3 ships and crews would have been deployed for the summer with operational experience with other naval services, even if it's in a peace time role.

Comment

• Maybe the Government should extend the mandate of the NS on the op?

Get them to also support EUNAVFOR MED

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Maybe the Government should extend the mandate of the NS on the op?

Get them to also support EUNAVFOR MED

http://www.eeas.europa.eu/csdp/missi...for_med_en.pdf
        But we might end up shooting somebody! What would the PANA's and Shinners think then, I mean won't somebody think of the neutrality!

/sarcasm.

Honestly given the scale of what we are seeing I think Ireland should be involved in disrupting the trafficers as much as possible, I also see reports that the Greeks intercepted weapons heading back to Libya this week.

Comment

• Euformed

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          But we might end up shooting somebody! What would the PANA's and Shinners think then, I mean won't somebody think of the neutrality!

/sarcasm.

Honestly given the scale of what we are seeing I think Ireland should be involved in disrupting the trafficers as much as possible, I also see reports that the Greeks intercepted weapons heading back to Libya this week.
          There are 21 European countries providing ships to the European Union Naval Force in the Eastern Mediterranean. They are attempting to diminish the flow of migrants by tackling those involved in providing craft and removing those assets used for that purpose, and where possible detain traffickers. The operation is paralleled by an attempt in countries of origin to normalise social conditions to allow citizens to safely live in those countries .
          The participating ships are to own national account with an 11.7 million Euro budget allocated to HQ EUFORMED in Rome. The Flag ship is CV Cavour of the IT Navy with an Admiral I/C. The Force Commander in Rome is also IT Navy. We should of course join for their first year of mandate to end, unless extended, in mid 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
            There are 21 European countries providing ships to the European Union Naval Force in the Eastern Mediterranean. They are attempting to diminish the flow of migrants by tackling those involved in providing craft and removing those assets used for that purpose, and where possible detain traffickers. The operation is paralleled by an attempt in countries of origin to normalise social conditions to allow citizens to safely live in those countries .
            The participating ships are to own national account with an 11.7 million Euro budget allocated to HQ EUFORMED in Rome. The Flag ship is CV Cavour of the IT Navy with an Admiral I/C. The Force Commander in Rome is also IT Navy. We should of course join for their first year of mandate to end, unless extended, in mid 2016.
            There is 21 countries contributing 1 aircraft carrier, 8 surface/sub-surface vessels and 12 aircraft.

Comment

• Are those figures correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                Are those figures correct?
                Look at the link

Comment

• Very confusing ...

... In addition to the Aircraft carrier CAVOUR, 8 surface and subsurface naval units and 12 Air Assets will be deployed during the
                  first phase of the operation

.... For currently deployed units, please see the website:

Rome, July 28 2015

"At the moment EUNAVFOR MED can count on 4 naval units (the Italian flagship “Cavour”, 2 German and 1 UK ships) and 5 air assets (1 French and 1 Luxemburg planes, 2 Italian and 1 UK helicopters). "

I assume the UK ship is Bulwark's replacement albeit in a different role???
                  Last edited by Orion; 3 September 2015, 21:53.

Comment

• HMS Enterprise

Comment

• Thought so

Comment

• Just been watching BFBS for a few mins

Bulwark and Ocean (plus support ships) are heading for the Med........ On exercise

Comment

• The men and women in our naval Service are doing unbelievably vital and important work day in and day out- Its work that save lives and allows other to live.

The Sailors in the med are the best of us all by a long shot-

When they return, they will get a few bob, politicians will use them as a photo opportunity and after a few weeks leave they will once again be out at Hook Head.

In years to come when this refugee crisis is hopefully sorted there will be very little to remember the amazing work these heroes did.

There should be a medal for them, and I know that the last thing on their mind is a poxy medal- but fkuc them, we as a Nation should thank them for their service by pinning a medal on them.

The Dept should create a general purpose medal for missions that have no provisions for the awarding of medals, put a clasp saying something like Mediterranean (but spell it properly) and give these men and women a big day out and something to remember the work they did and the debt the nation owes them.

Sorry if it’s slightly off thread lads.
                          Last edited by hedgehog; 4 September 2015, 09:36.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Just been watching BFBS for a few mins

Bulwark and Ocean (plus support ships) are heading for the Med........ On exercise
                            refufgees/migrants/whatever aren't the only thing going on in the world, training for other things continues - and in truth, pulling refugees out of the water is less critical for UK security than having a fully trained and worked up RN and 3X. moreover, it very much appears that numbers transiting the Med are on the way down, partly because the land border via Greece etc.. is attracting more, and secondly because it always slacks off in the Autumn/Winter.

Comment

• All fair points in their own contexts. I think Cameron is having his stance changed by internal political and public pressure though.
                              Never fully understood why the UK withdrew from search and rescue in the med once Bulwark returned to the UK. Or have I got that wrong?

Comment

• Look at the poxy tabloids though?
                                Sun news paper - "Stop The Tide of Asylum"
                                following day ... photo of poor little kid - "Its Life & Death"
                                make you sick.

this needs a serious approach by europe, each country needs to sign up to a program, cut overseas aid to their countries of origin and divert the funds into a central european migrant agency from which each country will take funds to do the following:

1. Step up border controls and med patrols etc in countries of highest risk and start to stop migrants in country of entry
                                2. process them properly as EU had agreed each country should process migrants - ID them, background check them, 90% of them have smartphones etc when they arrive. most of them will have at least had a facebook or twitter or SOME sort of online presence in the past.
                                3. now, anyone - not deemed to be an asylum seeker fleeing war / tyranny / oppression / danger - send them back to country of origin / nearest possible location on a flight / boat.
                                4. for those remaining.,,, provide a central european fund to pay for their needs - provide family shelters , individuals billets, clothing, food and some sort of small allowance initially, some sort of integration program, the background and cultures of the countries they will settle in,what to expect from westerners, what westerners expect from them, language classes, some sort of basic education program for children, basically give them all the help and support our broken union can afford to. For example: supposedly germany needs a huge migrant workforce, fantastic, but make sure that the RIGHT asylum seekers benefit from that.
                                5. Make them future europeans, not future problems and minorities.

militarily though, we need to get battlegroups spinning up and running, we need to start working with authorities as they are in countries of origin and we need to start stabilising parts of these countries where these people can internally flee to, assist in setting up govt and trade etc AND GET THE ARAB ETC COUNTRIES IN ON THIS TOO because right now, whilst EU is opening its arms, some other countries are not.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by morpheus; 4 September 2015, 10:50.
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X