No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's simples. Rescue them all and let the bureaucrats sort them out.

Comment

• Le niamh

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
      L.E. Niamh departed port of Messina @18.57. Not that anyone cares, too busy grinding their own personal axes.
      LE Niamh is currently in Valletta, Malta. She is very near her relief day of 25th September. MOD has said we are not getting involved in going HOT with the migrant smugglers. Eunavfor is everybody but us.

Comment

• The Irish Naval service facebook page has announced that L.E. Niamh's active phase in the Mediterranean has ended. Due back to Ireland 2nd Oct 2015. Rescued just short of 4000 souls. BZ to all concerned.

Comment

• When's Sam B heading out?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            When's Sam B heading out?
            Today. (Thursday).
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• LÉ Samuel Beckett

The Irish Naval Service deploys a third ship to assist the international operation aimed at rescuing migrants at risk of drowning in the Mediterranean.

LÉ Samuel Beckett, with a crew of 59, has left Haulbowline in Cork en route to the Mediterranean as part of Ireland's ongoing humanitarian commitment to the region.

Comment

• If we had a suitable aircraft it would possibly be cheaper to rotate the crew than rotate the ship

Comment

• Don't think the cost of an aircraft comes into it Dev...... The Army does overseas rotations generally without AC assets , we could possibly fly a 60 person crew to Italy or Malta commercially for buttons. Indeed I remember winding up a Brit once that we had the largest strategic lift capability in Europe and could deploy thousands of soldiers in a day for 19.99 a head .... We don't call it the Air Force we call it Ryanair!

I think the issue here is that the crew of a ship know their vessels from top to bottom, engines and all the little funny habits each ship has ( if you know what I mean) , it's not like taking over a Mowag or a lTAV.

The Beckett is the third different class of ship we have sent, I am sure there is interoperability in general but think the rotation of vessels and their crews is the norm ( I am sure some sailors can correct me if wrong)

Comment

• Unit Rotation

Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
                    Don't think the cost of an aircraft comes into it Dev...... The Army does overseas rotations generally without AC assets , we could possibly fly a 60 person crew to Italy or Malta commercially for buttons. Indeed I remember winding up a Brit once that we had the largest strategic lift capability in Europe and could deploy thousands of soldiers in a day for 19.99 a head .... We don't call it the Air Force we call it Ryanair!

I think the issue here is that the crew of a ship know their vessels from top to bottom, engines and all the little funny habits each ship has ( if you know what I mean) , it's not like taking over a Mowag or a lTAV.

The Beckett is the third different class of ship we have sent, I am sure there is interoperability in general but think the rotation of vessels and their crews is the norm ( I am sure some sailors can correct me if wrong)
                    It is possible both ways. Operating a back to back crewing system requires a fully type trained crew of replacements, especially in key command and technical areas. You also need an open cheque book and access to technicians to repair and mend defective items. Likewise consumables would have to be bought without mounds of paperwork. The easier way logs wise is as they have done, except for any personnel transferring to SB facing another two months of Mediterranean holidays!!

Comment

• WHy the "he/she" and "her/his" distinction AM. I thought all naval vessels were She?
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Ships a she Samuel is a he ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Orion View Post
                          Ships a she Samuel is a he ?

Ahhhhh it makes perfect sense, and Im a dope for not realising that. Thanks lads.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Orion View Post
                            Ships a she Samuel is a he ?
                            maybe Sam is a she-male
                            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Here it mentions:
                              "the LÉ Samuel Beckett has 59 sailors and two medics – one from the army and one from the Air Corps."

SBAs (as we called them in yonder years) not counted as medics, or just a reporter mix-up/lack of knowledge? Or are army/AC medics trained to more advanced levels (e.g. paramedic qualified)?

Obviously understand if this cannot be answered due to OPSEC.
                              "Join the army....see the world....meet interesting people....then kill them!"
                              "Join the navy....see the world....meet interesting people....get rotten crotch!"

Comment

• Mod: some posts moved to new thread Funnel art: http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...816-Funnel-art

I think some of them were accidently put in the wrong thread...
                                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X