Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by restless View Post
    medsailor, just curious, why call to agusta if stores were in valletta? was it for more / different stores?
    Well it certainly was'nt for shore leave , the place is a kip .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
      Well it certainly was'nt for shore leave , the place is a kip .
      Oh well. Irish / Maltese relations just went out the window.......
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Agusta
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
          Agusta
          Ah well why not piss off the Italians as well....
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Its not like their navy is bigger than ours, i mean 60 Italian Vessels v 8 Irish vessels ..... its not really fair on the italians!
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1007/732936-defence-forces/

And so it begins, wonder will the public support begin to dissolve in this allowances row? certainly hope not, but might be a good time to avoid the comments sections of some news sites... whether or not the allowances are due.

The association representing soldiers, sailors and aircrew has said naval personnel rescuing migrants in the Mediterranean Sea are not being paid allowances they are due.
              The Permanent Defence Force Other Ranks Representative Association (PDFORRA) said sailors are getting paid €250 a week less than their colleagues in the army on UN duty in Lebanon and the Golan Heights. The Department of Defence has said the 'Armed Peace Support Allowance' does not apply to the naval mission because there is no armed threat to the personnel involved.
              The association, which begins its annual conference today, has called on Minister for Defence Simon Coveney to address the situation.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Oh well. Irish / Maltese relations just went out the window.......
                Thick skin, makes an elephant look sensitive! Fully agree that Augusta is a dump though...

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                  http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1007/732936-defence-forces/

And so it begins, wonder will the public support begin to dissolve in this allowances row? certainly hope not, but might be a good time to avoid the comments sections of some news sites... whether or not the allowances are due.
                  I can see quite a variety of opinions popping up even on the forums here!

Comment

• Could be a very double edged sword for PDFORRA going public with it

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                      I can see quite a variety of opinions popping up even on the forums here!
                      We've done it already. Check back and see the clarifications from those in the know, and then see what should be paid and why...and whats is not being paid that is normally paid.

Comment

• Rash Judgements

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        We've done it already. Check back and see the clarifications from those in the know, and then see what should be paid and why...and whats is not being paid that is normally paid.
                        First off, it is prudent never to criticise a place or facility, that you or yours may depend on in the future. Pay and allowances are a different matter, when dealing with omnipotent agencies, such as Government. They get to decide which rule they wish to apply. It can be anything, like the Korean Bulk carrier in Australia where it was discovered the crew were not being paid and deprived of food in port, OR it can be just short changing everybody because you can.
                        Our ship when on the way to their AOP stop transmitting AIS info and go silent. They approach within 50/80 kms of a War Zone where MIG 23's are operational and where a Turkish cargo ship was attacked in the last 12 months. They also search their migrants and hand over suspects to Italian authorities. Why search and what are they looking for?

Comment

• I think I may have said this before. This is the first of this type of mission (humanitarian as opposed to UN sanctioned) so whatever pay and allowances are agreed now will end up being the standard for this type of mission. PDFORRA have to try and get as best a deal as possible for their members because it will have future implications.

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1007/732936-defence-forces/

"Delegates at the Permanent Defence Force Other Ranks Representative Association (PDFORRA) annual conference today, spoke of paint peeling off walls, musty floors and pools of stagnant water in or near areas used for .... instruction."

Pretty much describes every barracks in the country! When will people realize its cheaper to flatten old buildings and build new than to try and bring a dead building back to life.
                            Last edited by TangoSierra; 7 October 2015, 18:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              First off, it is prudent never to criticise a place or facility, that you or yours may depend on in the future. Pay and allowances are a different matter, when dealing with omnipotent agencies, such as Government. They get to decide which rule they wish to apply. It can be anything, like the Korean Bulk carrier in Australia where it was discovered the crew were not being paid and deprived of food in port, OR it can be just short changing everybody because you can.
                              Our ship when on the way to their AOP stop transmitting AIS info and go silent. They approach within 50/80 kms of a War Zone where MIG 23's are operational and where a Turkish cargo ship was attacked in the last 12 months. They also search their migrants and hand over suspects to Italian authorities. Why search and what are they looking for?
                              Coveny has agreed in principle that they will be paid, just what they should be paid is the question. If they have to create an out of area allowance for this type of operation so be it, but they need to be paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                ...but they need to be paid.
                                the problem with that is that they are being paid.

no one - well, no one with the ability to use shoelaces - is going to decry a salary+ allowance that covers the additional family costs of being away for four months (all the extra childcare etc..), but i'm afraid that if the various trade unions - and thats what they are - think that they'll get a massive wave of public support on the back of a demand for €80 a day on top of their salary for doing their job in the sunshine then all they'll acheive is a backlash that says 'if thats your attitude, fcuk off down to KFC for a career...'.

Comment

Working...
                                X