Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
    the problem with that is that they are being paid.

no one - well, no one with the ability to use shoelaces - is going to decry a salary+ allowance that covers the additional family costs of being away for four months (all the extra childcare etc..), but i'm afraid that if the various trade unions - and thats what they are - think that they'll get a massive wave of public support on the back of a demand for €80 a day on top of their salary for doing their job in the sunshine then all they'll acheive is a backlash that says 'if thats your attitude, fcuk off down to KFC for a career...'.
    Pulling dead bodies from the ocean is not exactly a job in the sunshine. They deserve an allowance. If some General in a overseas mission HQ based in Paris gets one then they more then deserve to get one.

I think most Irish people know what they've been up to. Although you never know. I've learnt to never underestimate the ignorance of the average person.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
      Pulling dead bodies from the ocean is not exactly a job in the sunshine. They deserve an allowance. If some General in a overseas mission HQ based in Paris gets one then they more then deserve to get one.

I think most Irish people know what they've been up to. Although you never know. I've learnt to never underestimate the ignorance of the average person.
      RNLI, Divers ,mountain rescue etc pull dead bodies in here regularly for free.

Comment

• Give me a break here you lot.

"So it starts..."

Come off it will you.

Do you think these sailors have just decided to air this now?
        Do you not think they have been fighting this for the past 6 months now?

Pay them the correct allowance.

Simple.

Comment

• "This morning the LÉ SAMUEL BECKETT disembarked 474* rescued people at the port of Vibo, Italy, 242 had been rescued by the Irish Naval Service."

"Irish Naval Service added 6 new photos to the album: L.É. Samuel Beckett disembarking in Vibo Valentia today."

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
            RNLI, Divers ,mountain rescue etc pull dead bodies in here regularly for free.
            Of course but with the same level of frequency? I think they deserve an allowance to reflect the conditions they're dealing with.

I'd rather not turn this into a 'Who picks up dead bodies more' debate.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Great to see the MoD (who I think is to be fair doing a reasonable job) confirm yesterday in his ADC speech that after the pause over the winter the Naval Service will deploy again in the New Year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
                Give me a break here you lot.

"So it starts..."

Come off it will you.

Do you think these sailors have just decided to air this now?
                Do you not think they have been fighting this for the past 6 months now?

Pay them the correct allowance.

Simple.
                Check back to the time this broke some months ago, We are in agreement that they should be paid, trying to identify what that payment should be is the question.

I was horrified to find out that normal PDA wasn't being paid...
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                  Of course but with the same level of frequency? I think they deserve an allowance to reflect the conditions they're dealing with.

I'd rather not turn this into a 'Who picks up dead bodies more' debate.
                  From someone on the outside who has had to do it, I can assure you that your guys and girls deserve every cent! Soul-destroying doesn't even come close to describing it.

Comment

• May help the situation?

Libya has agreed to form a new national government headed by Prime Minister Fayez el-Sarraj after months of difficult negotiations, United Nations envoy Bernardino Leon said this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      That's just the UN Envoy Leon trying to force the hand of the two sides. They've both been very quick to voice their reservations.

MPs from Libya's rival parliaments express doubts about a UN proposal for a national unity government, saying the announcement was premature.

Comment

• Is the baby born on an Irish naval ship Irish?

Comment

• Nationality at Birth

Originally posted by stephendoyle1 View Post
                          Is the baby born on an Irish naval ship Irish?
                          This is a difficult one and is covered by a flexible convention. The Conventions refer to two systems JUS SOLI where the flag of the carrier, whether ship or aircraft applies, or JUS SANGUINIS where the nationality of the parent applies. If born within a territorial water then place of birth could be that country, as is the US case. Otherwise the place of birth is AT SEA or IN THE AIR at which coordinates are taken and place of birth can be point of departure or arrival depending on which is nearer. The usual case is to apply the mothers Nationality and born AT SEA in this case ,unless you wish to grant citizenship etc, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by stephendoyle1 View Post
                            Is the baby born on an Irish naval ship Irish?
                            No, not unless one of the parents is Irish.

Comment

• Article 9 2.1 of the constitution

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, a person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, who does not have, at the time of the birth of that person, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality, unless provided for by law."

Comment

• 15 October 2015 - LÉ SAMUEL BECKETT Completes Second Search & Rescue Operation

At 6 am Irish time, 15 Oct 15, the LÉ SAMUEL BECKETT was tasked by the Italian Marine Rescue Co Ordination Centre (IMRCC) to investigate an inflatable craft 50 kilometres north west of Tripoli. The LÉ SAMUEL BECKETT commenced a rescue operation soon after, taking approximately 102*persons, including 2 minors on board​. All people embarked are receiving food, water and medical attention where required. ​Further tasks are expected. ​
                                Last edited by Orion; 15 October 2015, 16:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X