Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this mean the newer vessels are in fact LESS effective in the worst weather the atlantic can throw at us?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      does this mean the newer vessels are in fact LESS effective in the worst weather the atlantic can throw at us?
      Given the modern stability systems they have I'd be surprised if they were to be honest.

Comment

• I couldn't possibly confirm that, as Father Jack said it's an ecumenical matter! The 2007 Danish Knud Rasmussen class have a draft of 4.9m and crossed the Atlantic to Canada and Greenland. However their top speed is 17kts and fitted with Helos, guns, missiles, impact torpedoes.

Comment

• Stabiliser systems are an aid to diminishing amount of roll. They are effective above a planned speed through the water. They do not make a ship more stable which is the bailiwick of the Naval architects and certain loading factors.

Comment

• CoG.

Comment

• Yes, along with Trim and the position of that CoG.

Comment

• I see this morning ILS Granuaile moving into position to assist in the recovery of R116. The media is paying special attention to her 20 tonne crane, which they suggest will be used to lift wreckage, if found.
                Improved weather conditions in north Mayo have allowed some progress to be made in the ongoing search for Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter 116.

However they miss a more useful tool this ship has, and one which no current NS vessel is equipped with. Dynamic Positioning. The ability to provide a stable platform for diving operations. The Naval diving unit has come a long way since its inception in the 70s, doing so mostly against the wishes of the Military authorities. They provide the first line of defence as such, in diving at sea. The Garda unit providing similar ashore.
                The latest additions to the fleet are provided with 3 TEU spots, and power outlets, to support diving and other operations.
                But to do so they either must remain in motion or go to anchor. Going to anchor in places where this type of operation takes place is not always a practical option, so again you are forced to take to RhIB, and travel, with equipment to the dive location.
                A properly equipped DP vessel will allow a stable working platform for the diving unit, and their equipment, and would permit expansion of the unit to enable them to carry out diving at greater depths. It could operate as such in all but the roughest of conditions, remaining in place over a specific point, to within a very small envelope.
                Currently their air diving capability is down to 50m. However their ROV can operate down to 1000m.

Modern mine countermeasures vessels also employ dynamic positioning.

Katanpaa Class Mine countermeasures DP equipped vessel.

FGS Rottweil Dive support vessel.

A DP equipped vessel could also then carry out normal patrolling when not engaged in diving operations.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                  I see this morning ILS Granuaile moving into position to assist in the recovery of R116. The media is paying special attention to her 20 tonne crane, which they suggest will be used to lift wreckage, if found.
                  Improved weather conditions in north Mayo have allowed some progress to be made in the ongoing search for Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter 116.

However they miss a more useful tool this ship has, and one which no current NS vessel is equipped with. Dynamic Positioning. The ability to provide a stable platform for diving operations. The Naval diving unit has come a long way since its inception in the 70s, doing so mostly against the wishes of the Military authorities. They provide the first line of defence as such, in diving at sea. The Garda unit providing similar ashore.
                  The latest additions to the fleet are provided with 3 TEU spots, and power outlets, to support diving and other operations.
                  But to do so they either must remain in motion or go to anchor. Going to anchor in places where this type of operation takes place is not always a practical option, so again you are forced to take to RhIB, and travel, with equipment to the dive location.
                  A properly equipped DP vessel will allow a stable working platform for the diving unit, and their equipment, and would permit expansion of the unit to enable them to carry out diving at greater depths. It could operate as such in all but the roughest of conditions, remaining in place over a specific point, to within a very small envelope.
                  Currently their air diving capability is down to 50m. However their ROV can operate down to 1000m.

A DP equipped vessel could also then carry out normal patrolling when not engaged in diving operations.
                  Thought the P60's are equipped with Dynamic Positioning systems?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                    So did I, great play was made at the time of the P60's , so equipped, to be able to recover black boxes etc.

Comment

• The New Zealand Navy uses an 85-metre (279 ft) version of the Vard Marine Inc. OPV design referred to as the Protector-class offshore patrol vessel. This is a modified version of the older Irish Navy Róisín-class PV80 vessels with helideck and hangar incorporated.[13]

The new ships are designed to carry remotely operated submersibles and a decompression chamber for divers. This is intended to add enhanced capabilities to undertake search and rescue, search and recovery, under sea exploration and increased sea area surveillance. The expanded deck area would also allow the Navy to deploy unmanned surveillance planes for the first time. Features also include Dynamic Positioning systems and "Power Take In Systems" to enable fuel savings as the main engines can be shut down and power sourced from battery storage or a smaller more economical engine.[14]

The first new ship was commissioned on 17 May 2014 - to replace Emer which was decommissioned on 20 September 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        They are! both rudders can move independently and in opposite directions. This coupled with the bow thruster keeps the 60class vessels on point, just mark your position and the computer does the rest.

Comment

• Does anyone know is it DP class 1, 2 or 3?
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                            In fairness, I wouldn't go below 50 metres with air either, after that it's time to reduce the oxygen content to keep the partial pressure oxygen below 1.4, though I suppose military divers might take a greater risk. That depth limit implies to me that there is no facility to blend gases on ship?

Comment

• Dont know for sure. My guess is it would not be more than DP2 but more likely a basic system. Such systems will accept conditions at low wind speeds but as wind increases holding a ship in a required position starts to eat up available electrical load. Granuaile is probably DP2 or above as their Lighthouse refueling , close to rocks ,needs a guaranteed maintenance of position.
                              Diving has to be left to the divers, some are/is Clearance Diver trained to 200 meters. We will wait and see with accent on the recovery of the aircraft and hopefully the occupants.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                                In fairness, I wouldn't go below 50 metres with air either, after that it's time to reduce the oxygen content to keep the partial pressure oxygen below 1.4, though I suppose military divers might take a greater risk. That depth limit implies to me that there is no facility to blend gases on ship?
                                Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                Dont know for sure. My guess is it would not be more than DP2 but more likely a basic system. Such systems will accept conditions at low wind speeds but as wind increases holding a ship in a required position starts to eat up available electrical load. Granuaile is probably DP2 or above as their Lighthouse refueling , close to rocks ,needs a guaranteed maintenance of position.
                                Diving has to be left to the divers, some are/is Clearance Diver trained to 200 meters. We will wait and see with accent on the recovery of the aircraft and hopefully the occupants.
                                DP 2 or 3 was a requirement in the P60 specs (not sure if that what was delivered)

Granuaile has DP1

Comment

Working...
                                X