Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  382
Dislikes Dislikes:  6

View Poll Results: (Realistically) What best to replace the Peacock CPVs with?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like for like (a similarly capable CPV)

    19 31.15%
  • 1-2 x OPVs (2 defending on available funds)

    39 63.93%
  • Larger number of much less capable patrol craft)

    3 4.92%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 475 of 527

Thread: CPV Replacement

  1. #451
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    827
    Post Thanks / Like
    AFIK DP1 is a system without redundancy, whereas DP2 and DP3 have the same type of modules as DP1 but more of them to provide redundancy to level 2. With DP3 the system is similar to DP2 but an operational computer and its modules are housed in a separate compartment to allow for adverse situations such as fire.
    Operating diving teams and ROV's a DP2 configuration would be standard for safety.

  2. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
  3. #452
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Post Thanks / Like
    Captain of Le Eithne talking of DP (at 2.40)
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radiop...2D03%2D2017%5F

  4. Thanks restless, na grohmití thanked for this post
  5. #453
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,431
    Post Thanks / Like

  6. #454
    The Auld Fella A/TEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look around BRP Artemio Ricarte (ex-HMS Starling)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUKZwBAh1Ek

  7. Thanks restless thanked for this post
  8. #455
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Baltinglass
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, do we actually want new CPVs or more OPVs?

  9. #456
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    So, do we actually want new CPVs or more OPVs?
    CPV's fall well within the 'Nice to have if you're overflowing with money, people and have f@ck all going on'...

    An OPV can do 90%+ of what a CPV can do while carrying boats that can do the rest. A CPV can do a tiny proportion of what an OPV can do for not a great deal less money or crew.

    As the meerkat says, simples...

  10. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes Galloglass liked this post
  11. #457
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably worth asking why do we currently have CPVs. Well we needed something small to replace the sweepers that were busy during salmon season. The sweepers were bought in a hurry when it was realised the navy would soon have no ships. Deirdre arrived around the same time. Opv and Cms operated alongside each other until the other p20s arrived in the mid 70s with former civvy trawlers and tenders also filling in.
    But do we have an actual role for a cpv? Or have we just made roles for the ones we have? Do the SFPA and Customs maritime unit negate the need for coastal patrol vessels?
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

  12. Likes ropebag, ias, The real Jack liked this post
  13. #458
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Look around BRP Artemio Ricarte (ex-HMS Starling)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUKZwBAh1Ek
    Plenty of retro fitted upgrades unlike our two!

  14. Likes na grohmití liked this post
  15. #459
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Plenty of retro fitted upgrades unlike our two!
    Our upgrades are not as obvious, but they are there.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

  16. Likes ias liked this post
  17. #460
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    But do we have an actual role for a cpv? Or have we just made roles for the ones we have? Do the SFPA and Customs maritime unit negate the need for coastal patrol vessels?
    counter mine/CIED isn't necessarily a made up role (and by extension possibly more involvement in Blacksod type SAR which it would also be capable of)

    The waters we have to police aren't just 200nm off shore

  18. #461
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    counter mine/CIED isn't necessarily a made up role (and by extension possibly more involvement in Blacksod type SAR which it would also be capable of)

    The waters we have to police aren't just 200nm off shore
    By their construction and dimensional aspects their is limited use for a CPV type vessel except selectively in suitable Sea States. If we had an all tasks Naval Policy we could include such vessels as a "Sandown " type MCV with a secondary coastal patrol tasking. Our main focus now is to maintain an OPV fleet with upgraded Defensive hardware and add an MRV with a flight deck.

  19. Thanks Graylion, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes ias, Galloglass, restless, na grohmití liked this post
  20. #462
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we had an all tasks Naval Policy we could include such vessels as a "Sandown " type MCV with a secondary coastal patrol tasking.
    Sandowns are far too small and theres really nothing similar in the class available on the market.

    Would probably be another build for Appledore or the like, why not just scale down the P61s and give it some demountable packages?
    Just visiting

  21. #463
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Sandowns are far too small and theres really nothing similar in the class available on the market.

    Would probably be another build for Appledore or the like, why not just scale down the P61s and give it some demountable packages?
    I doubt if appledore can build in plastic or fibreglass but i could be wrong.

  22. #464
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Baltinglass
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    why are we limited to Appledore? And in the light of Brexit I'd take a close look at other suppliers.

  23. Likes na grohmití, Tempest liked this post
  24. #465
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Sandowns are far too small and theres really nothing similar in the class available on the market.

    Would probably be another build for Appledore or the like, why not just scale down the P61s and give it some demountable packages?
    Or use the P50s in that role and buy 2 more P60s?

  25. Thanks danno thanked for this post
  26. #466
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    why are we limited to Appledore? And in the light of Brexit I'd take a close look at other suppliers.
    Try Saab composite vessels starting at MCMV 52 or a versatile MCMV 80. Appledore build in steel and also in the mud. There are a number of Sandowns at Baharain with clearance crews keeping sea lanes clear.

  27. #467
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Baltinglass
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    MCMV 80 looks quite good. But I am not sure that the NS can afford dedicated MCMVs. And at 15 knots it is very slow.

    I would look for OPVs that are built from nonmagnetic steel, which is a technology that Germany for instance mastered in the 50s, and make sure they can be equipped for a MCMV role.

  28. Likes DeV liked this post
  29. #468
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    MCMV 80 looks quite good. But I am not sure that the NS can afford dedicated MCMVs. And at 15 knots it is very slow.

    I would look for OPVs that are built from nonmagnetic steel, which is a technology that Germany for instance mastered in the 50s, and make sure they can be equipped for a MCMV role.
    Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) including Remote Mine Demolition Craft and manned small MCM/Dive/Survey craft deployed off a ‘mother ship’ vessel are the way to go these days and for a small Naval Force who may want this capability. The beauty is the capability can be a based from an OPV or small MRV type platform. It is far more effective than traditional MCMV’s and significantly cheaper. Specialist frontline MCMV’s these days are tailored for the sharp end of a littoral warfare scenario and utilized by the big fleet Navies who can afford and have a requirement as part of their ConOps. So unless Ireland wants to be in the business of being a pathclearer for USN, NATO or RN amphibious taskforces then it is probably overkill for Ireland maritime domain.

    Much of the specialist Littoral Warfare (MMCM & Diver Support) kit can go on the ship in TEU's along with small specialist craft – operationally deployed by deck crane or stern slipway. Likewise survey gear. This kind of capability is better being accommodated off a future EPV/MRV vessel in Ireland context than having a CPV sized specialist MCM vessel. The beauty of a larger EPV/MRV vessel is that it can do patrol.

    Incidently, MCMV’s are not exactly speed merchants. Besides a powerful Radar/ISR suite with a deployed RPAS such as a Camcopter S.100 on such a vessel if EEZ patrolling was also to be tasked, can offset speed deficiencies.

  30. #469
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzac View Post
    Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) including Remote Mine Demolition Craft and manned small MCM/Dive/Survey craft deployed off a ‘mother ship’ vessel are the way to go these days and for a small Naval Force who may want this capability. The beauty is the capability can be a based from an OPV or small MRV type platform. It is far more effective than traditional MCMV’s and significantly cheaper. Specialist frontline MCMV’s these days are tailored for the sharp end of a littoral warfare scenario and utilized by the big fleet Navies who can afford and have a requirement as part of their ConOps. So unless Ireland wants to be in the business of being a pathclearer for USN, NATO or RN amphibious taskforces then it is probably overkill for Ireland maritime domain.

    Much of the specialist Littoral Warfare (MMCM & Diver Support) kit can go on the ship in TEU's along with small specialist craft – operationally deployed by deck crane or stern slipway. Likewise survey gear. This kind of capability is better being accommodated off a future EPV/MRV vessel in Ireland context than having a CPV sized specialist MCM vessel. The beauty of a larger EPV/MRV vessel is that it can do patrol.

    Incidently, MCMV’s are not exactly speed merchants. Besides a powerful Radar/ISR suite with a deployed RPAS such as a Camcopter S.100 on such a vessel if EEZ patrolling was also to be tasked, can offset speed deficiencies.
    Absolutely but you won't find many CPV sized vessels with the capability to take 2 TEUs, let alone the 3 the NSDS requires

  31. #470
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about the Accomodiation standards or seakeeping capabilities off Ireland's West coast, also very expensive and quite possibly over kill and over spec but .....

    Visby class

  32. #471
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Not sure about the Accomodiation standards or seakeeping capabilities off Ireland's West coast, also very expensive and quite possibly over kill and over spec but .....

    Visby class
    Given that they aren't being produced anymore I could imagine the cost of trying to build 2 of them...

  33. #472
    Sergeant The Usual Suspect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ias View Post
    Or use the P50s in that role and buy 2 more P60s?
    With the order of P64 I think we're halfway there already..
    Semper et ubique Fidelis

  34. #473
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Given that they aren't being produced anymore I could imagine the cost of trying to build 2 of them...
    Along with trying to sell the idea of impellers to the NS as opposed to propellers!

  35. #474
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ias View Post
    Or use the P50s in that role and buy 2 more P60s?
    No doubt someone with more info on the inservice performance of the P50s could answer that. Outta my depth on that one I'm afraid
    Just visiting

  36. Thanks ias thanked for this post
    Likes ias liked this post
  37. #475
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is why CPV/IPV sized vessels are falling out of favour with smaller Navies these days. At least a modern OPV has a Flex Deck, Crane and often a stern slipway for deploying minor craft.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •