X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPV Replacements

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
    I would prefer something more like the Saab MCMV-80 or its cousin the Singapore LMV, both can do MCM and patrol and have decent sea going capabilities. Alternatively we could link with the Canadians as they are looking to replace their Kingston class which do a similar role.
    I will leave it to the Naval Service to replace the current 34year old ships with vessels capable of carrying out operational duties, including those duties currently done by all our ships. Hopefully autonomous tweaks will be restricted to providing safety and certainty to crews and be free from cyper Security problems when using drones or other remote systems. Looking East may bring you a fair weather ship-think WNA, storms, endurance .

Comment

• Singapore LMV

MCMV80

Have the Canadians decided yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        I will leave it to the Naval Service to replace the current 34year old ships with vessels capable of carrying out operational duties, including those duties currently done by all our ships. Hopefully autonomous tweaks will be restricted to providing safety and certainty to crews and be free from cyper Security problems when using drones or other remote systems. Looking East may bring you a fair weather ship-think WNA, storms, endurance .
        The Peacocks came from Hong Kong, but not to rely too much on that fact. The region does have Typhoons which are not a small storms, might not as cold as a NA storm but just as rough. Famously in Dec 44 the US Task Force 38 got hit by Typhoon Cobra in the Philippine Sea and they lost 3 destroyers with many other ships from the battleship Iowa through carriers to destroyers badly damaged. So the Singapore vessels are designed just like our OPVs to be able to survive in SS9 and fully operation in SS6. as for endurance they have a range of 3500nm.
        Last edited by EUFighter; 22 February 2018, 14:09.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
          The Peacocks came from Hong Kong, but not to rely too much on that fact. The region does have Typhoons which are not a small storms, might not as cold as a NA storm but just as rough. Famously in Dec 44 the US Task Force 38 got hit by Typhoon Cobra in the Philippine Sea and they lost 3 destroyers with many other ships from the battleship Iowa through carriers to destroyers badly damaged. So the Singapore vessels are designed just like our OPVs to be able to survive in SS9 and fully operation in SS6. as for endurance they have a range of 3500nm.
          I spent most of my junior career in that area where rainstorms and wind were a seasonal activity requiring care in routing. Bull Halsey while regarded as magnificent, particularly the battle of Leyte Gulf , was also constantly aggressive, and should have allowed the Fleet to maneuver to avoid such losses.
          In general the Far East is regarded as a fair weather area but with caution similar to the Caribbean. The CPV's are limited in range with 3 days fuel at full power. We must do better to last out at least a normal SO of about 3 weeks at at 14/16kts

Comment

• A BMT option

Comment

• Australians are buying this as a replacement for Armidale Class
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• [QUOTE=hptmurphy;458594]https://www.luerssen-defence.com/opv-80/

Australians are buying this as a replacement for Armidale Class[/QUOTE

I wouldn't. Beam 13m on a length of 80m would have a very lively flight deck, especially with a draft of 3m. Our 80's have a beam of 14m and a draft of 3.8m.

Comment

• Some of the technology available today. Probably has the same effect in one load as a Hunt or Consiton class had in an entire ship.

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                    Some of the technology available today. Probably has the same effect in one load as a Hunt or Consiton class had in an entire ship.

ARCHERFISH is a controllable mobile shaped charge which requires wire guided assistance to hit a target which has to be identified and classified by a visual/ sonar type system. I'm not impressed by the broken return of target or weapon echoes on the Demo PPI Sonar screen. It needs to be crisper with higher definition. This is all part of techno industries trying to make everyone feel inadequate and of course a big cost to adapt the launching system.

Comment

• Some interesting options for counter-mine/IED capabilities

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        https://saabgroup.com/globalassets/c...nov-2017_2.pdf

Some interesting options for counter-mine/IED capabilities
                        It seems to be a full description of potential countermeasures overlaid with actual in theater capabilities of those countries that are still plagued by remnants of historical minefields. Unmanned, remote systems are efficient and deployable from a range of vessels. Ground mine areas would be parts of the Irish Sea, Estuaries, Harbour approaches. The Swedes and Germans would be good source of knowledge to set up a countermeasures unit.

Comment

• How plagued is Ireland of discarded sea mines and under water UXO ? there are vessels past or coming to 100 years old packed with ww1 and ww2 explosives and munitions which are breaking up more and more each year.
                          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            How plagued is Ireland of discarded sea mines and under water UXO ? there are vessels past or coming to 100 years old packed with ww1 and ww2 explosives and munitions which are breaking up more and more each year.
                            The only one I know of, that is an unconfirmed threat, is the residue wreck of SS Richard Montgomery, a Liberty ship, with 1400 tons of bomb materials on board that sunk off Kent near Sheerness. There is a school of thought that anno domine will take care of the problem. Some think it could blow if a higher deck collapsed allowing armed bombs cascade on to larger consignments in the lower holds. I don't know of any emerging or dormant threats on the Irish Coast.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              The only one I know of, that is an unconfirmed threat, is the residue wreck of SS Richard Montgomery, a Liberty ship, with 1400 tons of bomb materials on board that sunk off Kent near Sheerness. There is a school of thought that anno domine will take care of the problem. Some think it could blow if a higher deck collapsed allowing armed bombs cascade on to larger consignments in the lower holds. I don't know of any emerging or dormant threats on the Irish Coast.
                              Stuff from the Beaufort Dyke in the North Channel occasionally washes ashore on the East Antrim Coast.

But that would be a Royal Navy problem.

Hms Drake in Church Bay, Rathlin Island was also full of live ammo...until the Royal Navy removed same...and blew the wreck up in the early 70's.

An odd piece still appears though.

The SS Lough Garry...sitting upright in 30m off Rue Point (minus a big chunk of her bow) is full of rifles and ammunition.

Again the Royal Navy dropped large anchor chains on her cargo hatches in the early 70s...supposedly to prevent terrorists accessing the weapons on board.
                              Last edited by spider; 24 July 2018, 00:02.
                              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• You used to hear of the occasional mine in fishing net etc but not in a good while I think.

Giving that we are an island we could be seriously effected by a mining campaign.

You’ll also notice that it wasn’t just counter mine capabilities that WP15 talked about, it also said counter IED. Potential terror threat to say the many cruise liners calling here?!

Comment

Working...
                                X