Thanks Thanks:  276
Likes Likes:  474
Dislikes Dislikes:  7

View Poll Results: (Realistically) What best to replace the Peacock CPVs with?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like for like (a similarly capable CPV)

20 32.26%
  • 1-2 x OPVs (2 defending on available funds)

39 62.90%
  • Larger number of much less capable patrol craft)

3 4.84%
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: CPV Replacement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Since the evolution of the modern OPV each batch or generation of vessel has tended to get bigger to cope with tasks demands. Ireland has it's open Atlantic requiring ships with greater environmental coping capabilities. The consequential increase in size and tonnage adds to additional cost and the need to give the ships a sensible level of self Defence, particularly when operating far from the home country.
    "open Atlantic"???, I know that this is often cited as a reason why ships have got bigger and bigger. SO just out of interest I was wondering what the size was of typical Irish fishing vessels and so check the current register to see and found:

Length No. of Vessels
    <20m 1834
    20-29m 132
    30-39m 19
    40-49m 9
    50-59m 9
    60-69m 5
    70+ 1

The largest vessels is the Western Endeavour out of Killybegs, 71m at 1988tonne.
    So looking at a CPV, the 54m of the Flyvefisken class would not be too far wrong (although I wuld prefer a 60-65m vessel to have more capability).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    "open Atlantic"???, I know that this is often cited as a reason why ships have got bigger and bigger. SO just out of interest I was wondering what the size was of typical Irish fishing vessels and so check the current register to see and found:

Length No. of Vessels
    <20m 1834
    20-29m 132
    30-39m 19
    40-49m 9
    50-59m 9
    60-69m 5
    70+ 1

The largest vessels is the Western Endeavour out of Killybegs, 71m at 1988tonne.
    So looking at a CPV, the 54m of the Flyvefisken class would not be too far wrong (although I wuld prefer a 60-65m vessel to have more capability).

Fishing Vessel are out there to do one thing, fish!.

Our ships are out there to carry out numerous different tasks incl boarding ops. The bigger and more stable the PV, the higher the sea states they can carry out those tasks in.

The CPVs role is out to approx 40 miles offshore on some occasions. Other than that its inside Irish Territorial Waters, 12nm.

The role that the NS & State want the CPV replacements to operation in needs to be defined. This will dictate what size and type of vessel replaces them.

3. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Orion, DeV, spider, CTU liked this post

Thread Information