This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Since the evolution of the modern OPV each batch or generation of vessel has tended to get bigger to cope with tasks demands. Ireland has it's open Atlantic requiring ships with greater environmental coping capabilities. The consequential increase in size and tonnage adds to additional cost and the need to give the ships a sensible level of self Defence, particularly when operating far from the home country.
    "open Atlantic"???, I know that this is often cited as a reason why ships have got bigger and bigger. SO just out of interest I was wondering what the size was of typical Irish fishing vessels and so check the current register to see and found:

Length No. of Vessels
    <20m 1834
    20-29m 132
    30-39m 19
    40-49m 9
    50-59m 9
    60-69m 5
    70+ 1

The largest vessels is the Western Endeavour out of Killybegs, 71m at 1988tonne.
    So looking at a CPV, the 54m of the Flyvefisken class would not be too far wrong (although I wuld prefer a 60-65m vessel to have more capability).

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      "open Atlantic"???, I know that this is often cited as a reason why ships have got bigger and bigger. SO just out of interest I was wondering what the size was of typical Irish fishing vessels and so check the current register to see and found:

Length No. of Vessels
      <20m 1834
      20-29m 132
      30-39m 19
      40-49m 9
      50-59m 9
      60-69m 5
      70+ 1

The largest vessels is the Western Endeavour out of Killybegs, 71m at 1988tonne.
      So looking at a CPV, the 54m of the Flyvefisken class would not be too far wrong (although I wuld prefer a 60-65m vessel to have more capability).

Fishing Vessel are out there to do one thing, fish!.

Our ships are out there to carry out numerous different tasks incl boarding ops. The bigger and more stable the PV, the higher the sea states they can carry out those tasks in.

The CPVs role is out to approx 40 miles offshore on some occasions. Other than that its inside Irish Territorial Waters, 12nm.

The role that the NS & State want the CPV replacements to operation in needs to be defined. This will dictate what size and type of vessel replaces them.

Comment

• With the living conditions on board the Peacocks, lack of personnel, etc etc

Maybe the Peacocks should be retired early?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          With the living conditions on board the Peacocks, lack of personnel, etc etc

In an ideal world..........
          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• It is difficult to justify their continued use in the current situation.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Any use to Malta?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                With the living conditions on board the Peacocks, lack of personnel, etc etc

I reckon it should be the case.... as I've said else where the NS should tie up anything that can't go to sea. I reckon the Philipines will pick up on these in a heart beat
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• While we do not have the crew we should at least mottball the Peacocks. As for their future we should not make the same mistake as before seeing two which were going into private hands end up in a foreign naval service!

As for the other user f the class, I think it would be political suicide to sell them to the Philippines given their current President. What could be a more acceptable home would be to donate them to one of the Baltic countries. As only the Lithuanian Navy has anything more than a Minehunter I am sure they would snap them up. Plus it would be good PR within the EU27. Malta would also be another option.

Comment

While we do not have the crew we should at least mottball the Peacocks. As for their future we should not make the same mistake as before seeing two which were going into private hands end up in a foreign naval service!

As for the other user f the class, I think it would be political suicide to sell them to the Philippines given their current President. What could be a more acceptable home would be to donate them to one of the Baltic countries. As only the Lithuanian Navy has anything more than a Minehunter I am sure they would snap them up. Plus it would be good PR within the EU27. Malta would also be another option.
                    Yes, they've paid off their modest purchase price many times over, an auction raising a few grand would be a joke. Give them to a deserving country who can get another few years out of them.

Comment

• As for the other user f the class, I think it would be political suicide to sell them to the Philippines given their current President.
                      We never intended Aisling to go to Libya or Emer to end up in Nigeria, once they are sold its really out of our hands.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        We never intended Aisling to go to Libya or Emer to end up in Nigeria, once they are sold its really out of our hands.
                        That is what all doggy arms dealers say.
                        If we cannot ensure that the ships go an end user that we approve then we need to look at other options. There are several options, one could be donation to an friendly EU nation, another could be to sink them as an artifical reef or to use them in a live firing exercise.

Comment

That is what all doggy arms dealers say.
                          If we cannot ensure that the ships go an end user that we approve then we need to look at other options. There are several options, one could be donation to an friendly EU nation, another could be to sink them as an artifical reef or to use them in a live firing exercise.
                          Navies and Airforces always arrive at a point of disposing of hardware . If you put sales in the hands of civilians, the new owners will eventually be a nasty surprise, when the refurbishment chain stops. The options are friendly direct disposals, after refurbishment , or update to retain in service , even to the level of new machinery, weaponry ,sea personnel and cadet training , etc. OR ship breakers, if they can be found . Sinking is an option but needs a lot of environmental preparation and risk of objection.

Comment

• The sale by public auction, however well intended, has always been a farce.
                            The donation of Aoife to Malta, while initially unwelcome by some, has proved to be a far more honourable end for ships that served us honourably for decades, and served as temporary homes to generations of Naval personell.
                            The breakers yard would have been a premature end for ships which clearly have plenty of life in them.
                            Ireland has a large Overseas aid Budget. Much of this money, well intended, through corrupt NGOs has ended up back in the hands of third world despots who use our government donated charity to buy military products.
                            Would it not just be better to donate the ships to developing nations whose governments can be trusted, and write the value off to our Overseas aid budget anyway? Go a step further and transfer this amount from the overseas aid fund into the tiny Irish Defence vote for capital expenditure?
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                              ? Go a step further and transfer this amount from the overseas aid fund into the tiny Irish Defence vote for capital expenditure?
                              Or give it to the DF for QIP and long term ones while overseas

Comment

• The NGO industry would go ballistic at not getting their hands on the cash.
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X