Thanks Thanks:  198
Likes Likes:  403
Dislikes Dislikes:  6

View Poll Results: (Realistically) What best to replace the Peacock CPVs with?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like for like (a similarly capable CPV)

19 31.15%
  • 1-2 x OPVs (2 defending on available funds)

39 63.93%
  • Larger number of much less capable patrol craft)

3 4.92%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: CPV Replacement

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    ...so Poseidon will require major modification before it can enter service.
    just to clarify - the RAF will never again retro-fit a AAR capability to an aircraft. P-8 will not get P/D even if Boeing agreed to it - which they wouldn't. if an AAR capability for the P-8 is to come about, it will come from from RAF tankers fiitted with booms.

boom tanking for the RAF makes sense now in a way it never did before - all our big strategic aircraft take boom fuel, and in the kind of quantities that even if they were P/D equipped, just wouldn't be feasible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably makes sense to give Voyager the additional capacity to have a boom if that is the way the RAF want to go? Are Marshalls in Cambridge still in the conversion business?
    Just visiting

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be a straight from Airbus job - the Australian MRTT A330 has a boom, we'd just get AirTanker to buy off the shelf.

I think the attractiveness of conversion has long since worn off, not least because the cost of the conversion and the regulatory framework surrounding it would cost more than just buying new ones.

The AH-64D-E changeover is illustrative - its cheaper and quicker to buy new rather than **** about changing airframes, engines and systems...

4. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like

Naval service ships

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    To some extent the P20 was a step into the unknown, defects became apparent, remedies were administered and she "rolled on" for her intended service life.
    History of our Service. Many things happen perchance with " any bread being better than no loaf ". We need from now, to only continue as planned by Naval Officers with advisory inputs from users at every level. Equipments must be selected to produce a required Naval capability not just because it is cheap but because it makes the ship more potent in it's role. I watched a CPV shoot the other day and thought how brave, considering that a burst of 20 rounds can cause a 76mm gun mount (Compact ) to self destruct. Our next weapons should meet the standards the Italians and others have set for themselves, in faster loading mechanisms , smart ammunition, target engagement accuracy, and missile destruction. We need urgently to move beyond pre-1980 technology and move to here!!.

6. Likes na grohmití, restless, ias liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you believe that there were some in NHQ who wanted the latest batch of OPVs armed with the same weapons as the P20s were? That is what we are up against.
    For the reasons you give, there was a school of thought that considered the L70 Bofors 40mm a safer (less maintainance intensive) option.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like

Naval Guns

Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Would you believe that there were some in NHQ who wanted the latest batch of OPVs armed with the same weapons as the P20s were? That is what we are up against.
    For the reasons you give, there was a school of thought that considered the L70 Bofors 40mm a safer (less maintainance intensive) option.
    I suppose I wouldn't believe it. However the Bofors in all it's marks has at this stage been immortalised and in global military/naval use since the late 1930's. What makes a gun useful is it's range and the types of ordnance it delivers on target. To be capable a Bofors L 70 outfit would be most effective in a Dardo configuration ( Twin barrelled ) using programmable 3P ammunition, especially against missiles, in other words would be proximity and time gated fused to deal with targets in flight. It would really be CIWS to a range of 4000 metres, requiring a longer punch somewhere alse on board to provide antiship and shore strike. Additionally to stitch everything together we need good target acquistion and tracking. The original Bofors as used by us was just like throwing stones, some were better at it than others but uncontrolled and iffy in surface mode.

9. Thanks na grohmití, Turkey, danno thanked for this post
    Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we should consider the "Thunder Child" fast interceptor, as reported on the Six One News by Paschal Sheehy on RTE yesterday. I quote it can carry "5,000 tons of diesel" and has a speed of "60 knots or more than 1,000 kilometers per hour". That is some boat!!

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    i fear that mine-hunting at 60kts is going to be either a spectacularly unproductive, or spectacularly, err... spectacular exercise.

12. Likes restless liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    i fear that mine-hunting at 60kts is going to be either a spectacularly unproductive, or spectacularly, err... spectacular exercise.
    Well the Yanks are going to demonstrate it with 40 knot boats (if the LCS ever get a mine hunting package that works, or gets out of harbour without breaking down...)
    Or to put it another way, every ship can be a minehunter...once.

14. Likes ropebag, Flamingo, na grohmití, ibenji liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    Maybe we should consider the "Thunder Child" fast interceptor, as reported on the Six One News by Paschal Sheehy on RTE yesterday. I quote it can carry "5,000 tons of diesel" and has a speed of "60 knots or more than 1,000 kilometers per hour". That is some boat!!
    I can see the Spanish customs taking a close interest in how Safehaven's venture fares out. Realistically it is only useful in dash though. Would make a nice boarding boat though....

Last edited by na grohmití; 4th January 2017 at 18:43.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question is the Thunderchild the same boat as their proposed "military" boat (to me she has much the same lines) or a different boat.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see the Spanish customs taking a close interest in how Safehaven's venture fares out. Realistically it is only useful in dash though. Would make a nice boarding boat though....

Cool music - check, footage of bouncing off waves - check, military utility - errm....

From their website:

'A crew of 10 can be comfortably seated , 6 on high tech shock mitigation seats and 4 on fixed seats in her main cabin, a separate heads and sleeping compartment in her f/wd cabin.'

Translation: 6 of the crew will survive, 4 will have significant spinal injuries and going to the canner is the new extreme sport!

18. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, morpheus, Sparky42, The real Jack, sofa, Shaqra liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good God. Where's the sick bag. Sell it to the cigaraette boat owners in the Caribbean for contraband running.

20. Likes Medsailor liked this post
    Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Good God. Where's the sick bag. Sell it to the cigaraette boat owners in the Caribbean for contraband running.
    Well I was really making the point that the report claimed it was able to carry "five thousand tons of diesel" and could do "one thousand kilometers per hour" (watch the report by Paschal Sheehy on RTE playback where he says exactly that). It appears to have developed into a serious discussion of the boat.

22. Likes Medsailor, danno liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I was really making the point that the report claimed it was able to carry "five thousand tons of diesel" and could do "one thousand kilometers per hour" (watch the report by Paschal Sheehy on RTE playback where he says exactly that). It appears to have developed into a serious discussion of the boat.
    First time I've been called serious...

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Question is the Thunderchild the same boat as their proposed "military" boat (to me she has much the same lines) or a different boat.
    Different boat completely. Different power train and hull form. He has designed it for racing from the outset, though what particular race is not clear.
    It makes headlines though, and the international maritime press are interested in his work, so it gets the reaction that he wanted.

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its great to see Safehaven building stuff like that in Ireland, Imerc funding for guys like these could be more productive than the more pie in the sky ideas at present. I wouldn't like to be inside it at full tilt unless the seat shock absorbers improve a bit more tho
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    James May in a race boat 3min 40sec what would it be like on a hard bench.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybh5Np1okoE

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Its great to see Safehaven building stuff like that in Ireland, Imerc funding for guys like these could be more productive than the more pie in the sky ideas at present. I wouldn't like to be inside it at full tilt unless the seat shock absorbers improve a bit more tho
    To be fair to Frank & Co, they have got where they are based on the quality of their product. IMERC would be no advantage to him. He would be an advantage to them. His company has built all the pilot boats currently in service in Cork and Dublin Port, as well as many other european ports, as well as a number further afield.

http://www.safehavenmarine.com/home

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Turbina moment at a modern Spithead Reviiew type of influential gathering could only gain commercial traction for such a promising product.

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    A Turbina moment at a modern Spithead Reviiew type of influential gathering could only gain commercial traction for such a promising product.
    What?

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

30. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be fair to Frank & Co, they have got where they are based on the quality of their product. IMERC would be no advantage to him. He would be an advantage to them. His company has built all the pilot boats currently in service in Cork and Dublin Port, as well as many other european ports, as well as a number further afield.

http://www.safehavenmarine.com/home
    agreed. he also has a nice 60ft cat for sale, already rigged for survey work, which would suit mine hunting work?

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like

Irish navy

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    agreed. he also has a nice 60ft cat for sale, already rigged for survey work, which would suit mine hunting work?

To be realistic, currently we are in no place to pander to one off experimental craft capable of unknown tasks, other than displaying high speed from A to B. It might have a place as a school craft to teach high speed handling, like the family dune buggy.
    A naval vessel is only as good as the Fire Power it can deliver and that's where we Must put our Money. Take a look at Naval Photo Archives and look at a side shot of an Old Corvette- 1 x 4 Inch Gun,1x AHTW(Hedgehog), 4x 20mm Oerlikons, 1x 2pdr AA Gun,4x DC throwers, 2x stern DC rails, 1x TAS system. We need to recover an ability to add punch to our Defence obligations.

33. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes morpheus, Sarsfield, Marius, ias liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

36. Thanks danno thanked for this post
    Likes Galloglass liked this post

Thread Information