Thanks Thanks:  205
Likes Likes:  413
Dislikes Dislikes:  6

View Poll Results: (Realistically) What best to replace the Peacock CPVs with?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like for like (a similarly capable CPV)

19 31.15%
  • 1-2 x OPVs (2 defending on available funds)

39 63.93%
  • Larger number of much less capable patrol craft)

3 4.92%
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: CPV Replacement

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, the ILV Granuaile covers most of the criteria too.
    Last edited by na grohmití; 24th January 2018 at 21:07.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTU;457224]Coastal Patrol Vessel vs Multi-Role Auxiliary Vessel?

Read the first 3 lines again

Reason why I posted it was the CPV replacement with counter mine capacity could be diving based

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post

Read the first 3 lines again

Reason why I posted it was the CPV replacement with counter mine capacity could be diving based
    And I was suggesting that the CPV replacement dosn't necessarily have to be a CPV, I was thinking along the lines of New Zealand and their proposed Littoral Operations Support Capability vessel.

http://www.navy.mil.nz/mtf/fsac/default.htm
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation’s bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

4. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I notice in the NDP there is no specific mention of the replacement of the CPVs, this is worrying.

Given that the waters off our East/South East coast are soon going to be highly contested I would have thought we should be looking at this as a point of urgency. We have the UK leaving the CFP, revoking the 1964 London Fishery Convention and possibly (still the plan) to leave the common market and customs union. All which means that the policing effort will increase dramatically as a result.

6. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    And I was suggesting that the CPV replacement dosn't necessarily have to be a CPV, I was thinking along the lines of New Zealand and their proposed Littoral Operations Support Capability vessel.

http://www.navy.mil.nz/mtf/fsac/default.htm
    I would prefer something more like the Saab MCMV-80 or its cousin the Singapore LMV, both can do MCM and patrol and have decent sea going capabilities. Alternatively we could link with the Canadians as they are looking to replace their Kingston class which do a similar role.

8. Thanks DeV, Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, hptmurphy liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like

CPV Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    I would prefer something more like the Saab MCMV-80 or its cousin the Singapore LMV, both can do MCM and patrol and have decent sea going capabilities. Alternatively we could link with the Canadians as they are looking to replace their Kingston class which do a similar role.
    I will leave it to the Naval Service to replace the current 34year old ships with vessels capable of carrying out operational duties, including those duties currently done by all our ships. Hopefully autonomous tweaks will be restricted to providing safety and certainty to crews and be free from cyper Security problems when using drones or other remote systems. Looking East may bring you a fair weather ship-think WNA, storms, endurance .

10. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    I will leave it to the Naval Service to replace the current 34year old ships with vessels capable of carrying out operational duties, including those duties currently done by all our ships. Hopefully autonomous tweaks will be restricted to providing safety and certainty to crews and be free from cyper Security problems when using drones or other remote systems. Looking East may bring you a fair weather ship-think WNA, storms, endurance .
    The Peacocks came from Hong Kong, but not to rely too much on that fact. The region does have Typhoons which are not a small storms, might not as cold as a NA storm but just as rough. Famously in Dec 44 the US Task Force 38 got hit by Typhoon Cobra in the Philippine Sea and they lost 3 destroyers with many other ships from the battleship Iowa through carriers to destroyers badly damaged. So the Singapore vessels are designed just like our OPVs to be able to survive in SS9 and fully operation in SS6. as for endurance they have a range of 3500nm.
    Last edited by EUFighter; 22nd February 2018 at 13:09.

13. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    The Peacocks came from Hong Kong, but not to rely too much on that fact. The region does have Typhoons which are not a small storms, might not as cold as a NA storm but just as rough. Famously in Dec 44 the US Task Force 38 got hit by Typhoon Cobra in the Philippine Sea and they lost 3 destroyers with many other ships from the battleship Iowa through carriers to destroyers badly damaged. So the Singapore vessels are designed just like our OPVs to be able to survive in SS9 and fully operation in SS6. as for endurance they have a range of 3500nm.
    I spent most of my junior career in that area where rainstorms and wind were a seasonal activity requiring care in routing. Bull Halsey while regarded as magnificent, particularly the battle of Leyte Gulf , was also constantly aggressive, and should have allowed the Fleet to maneuver to avoid such losses.
    In general the Far East is regarded as a fair weather area but with caution similar to the Caribbean. The CPV's are limited in range with 3 days fuel at full power. We must do better to last out at least a normal SO of about 3 weeks at at 14/16kts

15. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, hptmurphy, Graylion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

17. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes Graylion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.luerssen-defence.com/opv-80/

Australians are buying this as a replacement for Armidale Class
    Time for another break I think......

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hptmurphy;458594]https://www.luerssen-defence.com/opv-80/

Australians are buying this as a replacement for Armidale Class[/QUOTE

I wouldn't. Beam 13m on a length of 80m would have a very lively flight deck, especially with a draft of 3m. Our 80's have a beam of 14m and a draft of 3.8m.

20. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Likes Graylion liked this post

Thread Information