Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRAV660 would probably be the slowest operational vessel ever operated by the NS, low endurance and its seakeeping could be challenging

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      MRAV660 would probably be the slowest operational vessel ever operated by the NS, low endurance and its seakeeping could be challenging
      I don't think that one is a runner anyway, but counter mine vessels generally don't seem to be speedy.

Very low crew could be a bonus.

Primary armament could be 20/30mm rws, maybe looking toward introducing same as secondary armament on EPV/MRV and eventual roll out to OPV's.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
        Very low crew could be a bonus.
        Crew endurance will kick in though

Comment

• The reality is that any such units will have to be able to do routine patrol duties, its not as if mines are a constant threat here.

Comment

• MRAV660 would probably be the slowest operational vessel ever operated by the NS
            Setanta and Ferdia come to mind as being slower...
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              Setanta and Ferdia come to mind as being slower...
              MRAV660 10 kts

Setanda 11.5 kts
              Fredia 15 kts

Comment

• Replacement ships

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                MRAV660 10 kts

Setanda 11.5 kts
                Fredia 15 kts
                We must stop this buying off glossy brochures. The upper range of MRV's would be more apt, however provision must be included to compensate when payloads are NOT on board. Setanta was a case in point as she was light ship with no bouyage, or anchor chains on board when we took her over. She stopped in head seas and rarely did speeds of 11.5kts. Ferdia was faster but cheerfully would go on fire, in the funnel lagging, when maneuvering heavily.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                  We must stop this buying off glossy brochures. The upper range of MRV's would be more apt, however provision must be included to compensate when payloads are NOT on board. Setanta was a case in point as she was light ship with no bouyage, or anchor chains on board when we took her over. She stopped in head seas and rarely did speeds of 11.5kts. Ferdia was faster but cheerfully would go on fire, in the funnel lagging, when maneuvering heavily.
                  Given that the P60's and p50's were spec to our needs, when have we bought off glossy brochures, IMO has had a lot of suggestions of hulls based off Glossy Brochures but that's a different matter entirely

Comment

• Setanda 11.5 kts
                    Fredia 15 kts
                    Obviously quite different ships to those I mentioned going by your spelling!

As for the reasons AM has pointed out, Setanta wouldn't do 11.5 knots on a downhill slope with the wind behind her!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Obviously quite different ships to those I mentioned going by your spelling!

As for the reasons AM has pointed out, Setanta wouldn't do 11.5 knots on a downhill slope with the wind behind her!
                      I'm going from military.ie

Typo

Comment

I'm going from military.ie

Typo
                        Nearly as bad as wikipedia when it comes to Naval matters

Comment

• I may have made 2 spelling mistakes typing on a iPhone wrecked tired at nearly 2am on names I'm not used to spelling but I got the speeds right as per Damen and the DF.

Comment

I may have made 2 spelling mistakes typing on a iPhone wrecked tired at nearly 2am on names I'm not used to spelling but I got the speeds right as per Damen and the DF.

http://www.military.ie/naval-service...fleet-history/
                            WHile we respect your right to make spelling errors, the details of the vessels you have provided are inaccurate. Can you accept that your online sources are incorrect, based on the experience of those who sailed on the vessels?

Setanta was steam powered. STEAM. Designed to maintain the buoys and lighthouses around the coast before the job could be done by Helicopter. So lots of laying at anchor. Designed to have numerous navigation aids stored in her Hold. I am open to correction, but I don't think her hold held anything during her naval service.
                            Ferdia was a stern trawler. Only displacing slightly more than the Peacocks with a tiny engine, in comparison.
                            military.ie up to very recently had people as Officers commanding Naval vessels who were no longer serving in the Naval Service, and we have no such vessel as L.E. James Joyce.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I am open to correction, but I don't think her hold held anything during her naval service.
                              Only the ammunition she was carrying for dumping.

Comment

I may have made 2 spelling mistakes typing on a iPhone wrecked tired at nearly 2am on names I'm not used to spelling but I got the speeds right as per Damen and the DF.

http://www.military.ie/naval-service...fleet-history/
                                My statement in relation to the speed of the vessels was based on what the could achieve as opposed to those figures published.

Back in 1953, Setanta could probably have achieved her published speed. By the time of her Naval Service she would never have achieved her maximum speed and very modest cruising speed of less than 10kts.

Ferdia again for as often as she went to sea modest cruising speed as opposed to anything like her max.

The RN have a measured mile that ships are tested to their max capability over, this becomes their max published speed although they may never reach it again due to various factors.

Speed in ships is quite variable and economic cruising speed is often a better guide to their capabilities rather a measured dash speed.

The finest example of this relates to aircraft and not ships. In a world of Mach 2 fighters none could sustain it for more than a matter of minutes due to fuel capacity and the only true supersonic aircraft was Concord(e) which actually cruised supersonically for most of its journeys.
                                Last edited by hptmurphy; 16 July 2016, 20:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X