X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Guns

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    Would you believe that there were some in NHQ who wanted the latest batch of OPVs armed with the same weapons as the P20s were? That is what we are up against.
    For the reasons you give, there was a school of thought that considered the L70 Bofors 40mm a safer (less maintainance intensive) option.
    I suppose I wouldn't believe it. However the Bofors in all it's marks has at this stage been immortalised and in global military/naval use since the late 1930's. What makes a gun useful is it's range and the types of ordnance it delivers on target. To be capable a Bofors L 70 outfit would be most effective in a Dardo configuration ( Twin barrelled ) using programmable 3P ammunition, especially against missiles, in other words would be proximity and time gated fused to deal with targets in flight. It would really be CIWS to a range of 4000 metres, requiring a longer punch somewhere alse on board to provide antiship and shore strike. Additionally to stitch everything together we need good target acquistion and tracking. The original Bofors as used by us was just like throwing stones, some were better at it than others but uncontrolled and iffy in surface mode.

Comment

• Maybe we should consider the "Thunder Child" fast interceptor, as reported on the Six One News by Paschal Sheehy on RTE yesterday. I quote it can carry "5,000 tons of diesel" and has a speed of "60 knots or more than 1,000 kilometers per hour". That is some boat!!

Comment

• i fear that mine-hunting at 60kts is going to be either a spectacularly unproductive, or spectacularly, err... spectacular exercise.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
          i fear that mine-hunting at 60kts is going to be either a spectacularly unproductive, or spectacularly, err... spectacular exercise.
          Well the Yanks are going to demonstrate it with 40 knot boats (if the LCS ever get a mine hunting package that works, or gets out of harbour without breaking down...)
          Or to put it another way, every ship can be a minehunter...once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smithy View Post
            Maybe we should consider the "Thunder Child" fast interceptor, as reported on the Six One News by Paschal Sheehy on RTE yesterday. I quote it can carry "5,000 tons of diesel" and has a speed of "60 knots or more than 1,000 kilometers per hour". That is some boat!!
            I can see the Spanish customs taking a close interest in how Safehaven's venture fares out. Realistically it is only useful in dash though. Would make a nice boarding boat though....

Last edited by na grohmiti; 4 January 2017, 19:43.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Question is the Thunderchild the same boat as their proposed "military" boat (to me she has much the same lines) or a different boat.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                I can see the Spanish customs taking a close interest in how Safehaven's venture fares out. Realistically it is only useful in dash though. Would make a nice boarding boat though....

Cool music - check, footage of bouncing off waves - check, military utility - errm....

From their website:

'A crew of 10 can be comfortably seated , 6 on high tech shock mitigation seats and 4 on fixed seats in her main cabin, a separate heads and sleeping compartment in her f/wd cabin.'

Translation: 6 of the crew will survive, 4 will have significant spinal injuries and going to the canner is the new extreme sport!

Comment

Maybe we should consider the "Thunder Child" fast interceptor, as reported on the Six One News by Paschal Sheehy on RTE yesterday. I quote it can carry "5,000 tons of diesel" and has a speed of "60 knots or more than 1,000 kilometers per hour". That is some boat!!
                  Good God. Where's the sick bag. Sell it to the cigaraette boat owners in the Caribbean for contraband running.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                    Good God. Where's the sick bag. Sell it to the cigaraette boat owners in the Caribbean for contraband running.
                    Well I was really making the point that the report claimed it was able to carry "five thousand tons of diesel" and could do "one thousand kilometers per hour" (watch the report by Paschal Sheehy on RTE playback where he says exactly that). It appears to have developed into a serious discussion of the boat.

Comment

Well I was really making the point that the report claimed it was able to carry "five thousand tons of diesel" and could do "one thousand kilometers per hour" (watch the report by Paschal Sheehy on RTE playback where he says exactly that). It appears to have developed into a serious discussion of the boat.
                      First time I've been called serious...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        Question is the Thunderchild the same boat as their proposed "military" boat (to me she has much the same lines) or a different boat.
                        Different boat completely. Different power train and hull form. He has designed it for racing from the outset, though what particular race is not clear.
                        It makes headlines though, and the international maritime press are interested in his work, so it gets the reaction that he wanted.

Comment

• Its great to see Safehaven building stuff like that in Ireland, Imerc funding for guys like these could be more productive than the more pie in the sky ideas at present. I wouldn't like to be inside it at full tilt unless the seat shock absorbers improve a bit more tho
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• James May in a race boat 3min 40sec what would it be like on a hard bench.?

Richard Hammond and James May continue their race along the south coast of France, armed with a Ferrari and a speedboat. But who will finish first? Taken fro...

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                              Its great to see Safehaven building stuff like that in Ireland, Imerc funding for guys like these could be more productive than the more pie in the sky ideas at present. I wouldn't like to be inside it at full tilt unless the seat shock absorbers improve a bit more tho
                              To be fair to Frank & Co, they have got where they are based on the quality of their product. IMERC would be no advantage to him. He would be an advantage to them. His company has built all the pilot boats currently in service in Cork and Dublin Port, as well as many other european ports, as well as a number further afield.

Irish manufacturer of recreational and commercial offshore work boats and catamarans. Includes product range, specifications, and images.

Comment

• A Turbina moment at a modern Spithead Reviiew type of influential gathering could only gain commercial traction for such a promising product.

Comment

Working...
                                X