Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 66 of 66
  1. #51
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    It was a public source (possibly An Cosantoir), PM if necessary
    Connect June 2014 poster.

    http://digital.jmpublishing.ie/i/320307-a2-poster/0?
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  2. Thanks Tempest, FMP, DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  3. #52
    C/S FMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UK and Tanzania
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only 4 x Dismounts in the CRV (+MRV)!! I'm not so crazy after all .

    na grohmití, sorry I have not got back to you on your offer. No I'm not a spy and yes please I would like a look at the ORBAT .
    We travel not for trafficking alone,
    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

  4. #53
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    Many thanks

    Could have sworn the CRV had more

  5. #54
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, recce troops with a 50/50 mix within them of CRVs and MRVs is preferred with a Supp Tp of MRVs and a few LTAV ISRs in HQ troop

  6. #55
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://breakingdefense.com/2015/04/t...1efe-408236157

    For those that are interested: there is a lot of info on Stryker BCTs out there on the internet. I would recommend the cavalry RSTA (ISTAR) cavalry squadron sections of the literature.

    Incidentally, the US Stryker BCTs look more an more like someone in Europe read the doctrine an recoined it EUBG. Except

  7. #56
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    The U.S. Stryker RSTA Cav Sqn is equivalent to an Irish Cav Regt, so an Irish Cav Sqn is roughly equivalent to a U.S. Recce Tp.

    Having looked at the TO&E, we should organise:

    HQ Tp probably with LTAVs (liaison, sniper & UAV deployment, CBRN recce, etc).
    Supp Tp with MRV (with FOO/MFC, Javelin capabilities)
    Recce Tp with CRV (and mix with MRV if funds allow) (with min 84 (if not Javelin) and possibly 60 mortar carried)

  8. #57
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,101
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    http://breakingdefense.com/2015/04/t...1efe-408236157

    For those that are interested: there is a lot of info on Stryker BCTs out there on the internet. I would recommend the cavalry RSTA (ISTAR) cavalry squadron sections of the literature.

    Incidentally, the US Stryker BCTs look more an more like someone in Europe read the doctrine an recoined it EUBG. Except
    Except European countires like france had wheeled APC long before the americans, so its actually the other way around. And the Americans were also influenced a bit by soviet doctrine. The Stryker BCT concept comes largely from operations in the balkans from 1991-1999, and in particular the rush for Pristina airport. In fact the british are also looking a bit at soviet doctrine, their army 2020 light infantry company will have two regular infantry platoons, a reserve infantry platoon and a regular machine gun platoon with 6 GMPG, a bit like the 1989 soviet motor rifle company

    As i said before Its all about overseas, you design your units and buy equipment in accordance with what you want to do. The state doesn't need to have a reconnaissance squadron so that it can locate invaders from the north, or lead a brigade across the border.

    What it does need is an ISTAR company that can operate overseas in conjunction with other European armies, which it can keep on very high readiness alert for six months once a year. That it does have, and it knows how to organise it as well as i said look at An Cosantoir for September 2012.
    Last edited by paul g; 28th April 2015 at 10:42.

  9. #58
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The U.S. Stryker RSTA Cav Sqn is equivalent to an Irish Cav Regt, so an Irish Cav Sqn is roughly equivalent to a U.S. Recce Tp.
    And hence maybe that's a point worth focusing on. Does the current split organisation of the DF cavalry (maybe applies to the rest of the DF) fall below critical mass to offer any effective capability. Would amalgamation of both cav units and ACS into one unit offer better efficiencies and opportunities to develop capabilities?

  10. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  11. #59
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    Would amalgamation of both cav units and ACS into one unit offer better efficiencies and opportunities to develop capabilities?
    There is a rumour doing the rounds that 1 Mech might be ditching berets in favour of Party Hats...
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

  12. Likes Truck Driver, FMP liked this post
  13. #60
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul g View Post
    Except European countires like france had wheeled APC long before the americans, so its actually the other way around. And the Americans were also influenced a bit by soviet doctrine. The Stryker BCT concept comes largely from operations in the balkans from 1991-1999, and in particular the rush for Pristina airport. In fact the british are also looking a bit at soviet doctrine, their army 2020 light infantry company will have two regular infantry platoons, a reserve infantry platoon and a regular machine gun platoon with 6 GMPG, a bit like the 1989 soviet motor rifle company

    As i said before Its all about overseas, you design your units and buy equipment in accordance with what you want to do. The state doesn't need to have a reconnaissance squadron so that it can locate invaders from the north, or lead a brigade across the border.

    What it does need is an ISTAR company that can operate overseas in conjunction with other European armies, which it can keep on very high readiness alert for six months once a year. That it does have, and it knows how to organise it as well as i said look at An Cosantoir for September 2012.
    The ISTAR Battlegroup contribution is task org'ed with assets from other corps. AFAIK it doesn't follow the lead unit principle.

    I would agree to a point, a Cav Sqn should be the lead unit for an ISTAR EUBG contribution with other corps task org'ed in as required.

    We have and need a DF organised for its primary mission, ie defence of the State, but also available for other roles. And in a light infantry all arms conventional format.

    So say for example:
    FHQ / BG HQ- provided by all Corps
    ISTAR TF HQ - provided by all Corps
    ISTAR Recce Coy - provided by lead Cav unit (Inf, Arty, Engr assets task org'ed in)
    ISTAR Logs Coy - provided by all Corps
    HUMINT Team - provided by all Corps
    MP element - task org'ed in
    Movecon element - provided by all Corps

    http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/siteass...-master-es.pdf


    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    And hence maybe that's a point worth focusing on. Does the current split organisation of the DF cavalry (maybe applies to the rest of the DF) fall below critical mass to offer any effective capability. Would amalgamation of both cav units and ACS into one unit offer better efficiencies and opportunities to develop capabilities?
    TBH I'd say get the 2 x Cav Sqns properly manned and equipped and then figure out if we can afford 1ACS - bearing in mind it is supposed to be a Combat asset.

    The CRVs and MRVs would need to be taken out of 1ACS to supplement a new order being placed.

    Do you then keep 1ACS?
    What do you equip them with?

  14. #61
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    There is a rumour doing the rounds that 1 Mech might be ditching berets in favour of Party Hats...
    Ha... Would doubt that one - I'd say it's someone floating a kite...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  15. #62
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found a bit on the LTAV:
    http://www.dfmagazine.ie/site-assets...-_Jun_2010.pdf (Page 18)

    http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/Re...C?OpenDocument

    http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/fba727373c93a4f080256c53004d976e/2d3f7aaec4efca2d802574440031a060/$FILE/RFT.doc

    http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/0/9AFA5F99BAE5152380257571005C2DA1/$file/RFT+STA+Suite.doc

    http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/fba727373c93a4f080256c53004d976e/9afa5f99bae5152380257571005c2da1/$FILE/QUESTIONS%20AND%20ANSWERS%20RELATING%20%20TO%20THE %20TENDER%20COMPETITION%20FOR%20STA%20SUITE.doc

    http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/fba727373c93a4f080256c53004d976e/2d3f7aaec4efca2d802574440031a060/$FILE/Q&A.doc
    Last edited by DeV; 1st May 2015 at 22:55.

  16. Thanks FMP thanked for this post
  17. #63
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion: bring a bigger gun.

  18. #64
    Private 2*
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF it is to be a somewhat "real" armoured cavalry squadron----a battalion sized unit----- (as opposed to a cav troop) and the "teeth of the army" (as the military.ie site claims), then:


    4 tank platoons of 4 CV-90-105's each. Attach an infantry platoon with 4 Mowag III Piranha's, some Javelin mounted LATV's, etc.. A legitimate tank troop/coy.

    A headquarters coy/troop with 2 CV-90 command vehicles, 2 recovery vehicles, 4 LATV's, an ambulance Mowag and some repair vehicles.

    A recce platoon with 4 CRV's, 4 LATV's and 16 dismounts.

    An infantry coy with 120 troops and 16 Mowag Paranha III's. (attach the existing 1st Mechanised Infantry Coy).

    A mobile artillery battery of 2 towed 105's and 2-4 vehicles mounting 81 mm and/or 120 mm mortars.

    Even that will be a "armoured cavalry squadron lite" compared to an American Armored Cavalry Squadron TOE.

    But it would be a legitimate armoured reserve force to back up the infantry battalions and the cavalry squadrons.

    Of course, that would take a government investment into the purchase of CV-90's and some additional Mowags, so it probably won't happen.

    It would be a nice formation, though. A real strategic reserve for Army command.
    Last edited by TerryD1957; 9th May 2015 at 16:14.

  19. #65
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like

  20. Thanks Anzac thanked for this post
  21. #66
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Baltinglass
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like
    What equipment is there for ISTAR other then Mk1 human eyeball? I see no mention of any acquisition of SIGINT/COMINT/optronics/radar/extendable masts/ESM/C-ESM etc?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •