Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Reproofing old Wet Gear

I have "acquired" a set of the Olive coloured wet gear in pretty good nick despite being written off BER.
    Any thoughts or knowledge as to re waterproofing or getting the best out of them ?
    " People, we are Leaving !!"

2. Dislikes rhino disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    if i remember, that wet gear had a mesh liner inside?

if so a cool wash (30 deg) without any biological washing powder and a tumble dry generally helps reproof wet gear that "wets out" (rain should bead up on properly waterproof gear....although after time all gear will just look saturated). wash it to clean it and get any crap out of material....this helps improve the breathablility/moisture vapour transport away from the body and the tumble drying helps re-energise the water repellent finish applied to the outer material.

you can also buy wash in reproofing in any decent outdoors shops. there are different types for wetgear with mesh liners or stand alone tri-laminate shell garments.

also read the care label if it's still on the wetgear. might give info on reproofing?
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

4. Thanks 84Mac thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wash with Nikwax Tech Wash and waterproof with either Nikwax TX.Direct wash-in or spray-on.
    Keep in mind that these are expensive with the TX.Direct spray on costing €13.50 for 500ml

6. Thanks 84Mac thanked for this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good piece of kit. I wore the jacket for 20 years in all sorts of situations, dry cleaned them a couple of times and it served me well and kept me dry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletour View Post
    A good piece of kit. I wore the jacket for 20 years in all sorts of situations, dry cleaned them a couple of times and it served me well and kept me dry!
    20 years??The jacket the OP is on about only went on issue in 1994-95 and was replaced in 2003 with the DPM suit.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    20 years??The jacket the OP is on about only went on issue in 1994-95 and was replaced in 2003 with the DPM suit.
    Yes. 1994 -2014 is 20 years. I left the DF in '97 and continued to use it.

10. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah.So you nicked DF kit
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

12. Likes Battletour, na grohmití liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now lads, old soldiers never nick, steal or pilfer. they acquire, scrounge or re transfer defunct or worn out kit :-)
    " People, we are Leaving !!"

14. Likes Battletour, apod, Truck Driver liked this post

Thread Information