Reproofing old Wet Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproofing old Wet Gear

I have "acquired" a set of the Olive coloured wet gear in pretty good nick despite being written off BER.
    Any thoughts or knowledge as to re waterproofing or getting the best out of them ?
    " People, we are Leaving !!"

if i remember, that wet gear had a mesh liner inside?

if so a cool wash (30 deg) without any biological washing powder and a tumble dry generally helps reproof wet gear that "wets out" (rain should bead up on properly waterproof gear....although after time all gear will just look saturated). wash it to clean it and get any crap out of material....this helps improve the breathablility/moisture vapour transport away from the body and the tumble drying helps re-energise the water repellent finish applied to the outer material.

you can also buy wash in reproofing in any decent outdoors shops. there are different types for wetgear with mesh liners or stand alone tri-laminate shell garments.

also read the care label if it's still on the wetgear. might give info on reproofing?
    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Wash with Nikwax Tech Wash and waterproof with either Nikwax TX.Direct wash-in or spray-on.
      Keep in mind that these are expensive with the TX.Direct spray on costing €13.50 for 500ml

Comment

A good piece of kit. I wore the jacket for 20 years in all sorts of situations, dry cleaned them a couple of times and it served me well and kept me dry!

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
          A good piece of kit. I wore the jacket for 20 years in all sorts of situations, dry cleaned them a couple of times and it served me well and kept me dry!
          20 years??The jacket the OP is on about only went on issue in 1994-95 and was replaced in 2003 with the DPM suit.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
            20 years??The jacket the OP is on about only went on issue in 1994-95 and was replaced in 2003 with the DPM suit.
            Yes. 1994 -2014 is 20 years. I left the DF in '97 and continued to use it.

Comment

Ah.So you nicked DF kit
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Now lads, old soldiers never nick, steal or pilfer. they acquire, scrounge or re transfer defunct or worn out kit :-)
                " People, we are Leaving !!"

Comment

Working...
                X