No announcement yet.

LE Macha 1st Overseas Deployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. I read both of his books thinking they would give an insight into the Naval Service of the early years. Both pure rubbish. His used his books to denigrate and tarnish the names of people in a manned that reflected no credit on him. Infamous is the correct term for that useless smartarsed waste of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenco View Post
      Thanks for posting the link. When I clicked on the link containing the ships crew list, the first name I saw was my late fathers name listed as stoker. Another name I recognise was that of A/S Luke Cassidy RIP of Cobh. Luke worked in Verolme Dockyard after the Naval Service and was a renowned photographer recording the history of the Naval Service. Thanks again for the post it brings back great memories.

CORRECTION: My Apologies. Should read above L/S Luke Cassidy. Not A/S.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        Yup. I am sure I read in his books about his trip on that voyage, reciting Yeats poetry as he stood his guard at the remains. But I may have it confused with someone else who wrote of their time in the early Naval Service.
        Brady mentions the Macha as the bearer of Yeats remains in his second book after he is attached to her during reservist training the year after he left the NS. which would have been 1963.

I reckon the second book is closer to fiction than anything else. Again filled with his diatribe against his seniors.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          Brady mentions the Macha as the bearer of Yeats remains in his second book after he is attached to her during reservist training the year after he left the NS. which would have been 1963.

I reckon the second book is closer to fiction than anything else. Again filled with his diatribe against his seniors.
          Walter Mitty comes to mind. He obviously heard the older guys talking about it and decided to give himself the credit. A clown.

Comment

I think there was some doubt as to the identity of the remains repatriated. They may not have been Yeats at all.

Comment

Originally posted by whirlywind
              Reference today's Irish Times article regarding controversy about W B Yeates authentic remains; will there be a reenactment of the Macha's voyage? Probably not...Ryanair would probably do it for free in the times that we are in. However, his name must be a serious contender for P63, if not Macha herself.
              I don't think the surviving family are too happy about his name being used. Can't remember where I read this, it was some time ago.

Comment

You are thinking of James Joyce.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

ye get one job...go to France on a jolly to collect a box of bones...and who do you bring back??!!

Comment

Working...
                  X