Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Recruit Eyesight

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a naval recruit is considered Admin or any branch other than Admin, the reason why I am asking this is that it says the following about the eyesight requirements on the military.ie website

Naval Service (Admin):

Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:

Unaided vision of not less than 6/6 in one eye 6/9 in the other.
    Unaided vision less than 1) above, but which is not less than either 6/12 in each eye OR 6/6 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye.
    Unaided vision of not less than 6/36 in each eye, and can be corrected to not less than 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other.
    Normal colour vision

Naval Service (Any Branch other than Admin):

Unaided vision must be not less than 6/6 in one eye 6/9 in the other.
    Night vision must be normal.
    Normal colour vision.
    - See more at: http://www.military.ie/careers/faq/#....tczVwR9e.dpuf

Hi Guys

I was able to get the answer from the recruitement section of the DC. Just incase anyone else has been wondering this is what I was told

The eyesight requirements for recruits are as follows

Unaided vision less than 1) above, but which is not less than either 6/12 in each eye OR 6/6 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye.
    Unaided vision of not less than 6/36 in each eye, and can be corrected to not less than 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other.
    Normal colour vision

It is only after you have done your two years that it will then affect you when deciding what branch of the Navy you want to have a career in.

Comment

Vision

Originally posted by Teabags View Post
      Hi Guys

I was able to get the answer from the recruitement section of the DC. Just incase anyone else has been wondering this is what I was told

The eyesight requirements for recruits are as follows

Normal colour vision

It is only after you have done your two years that it will then affect you when deciding what branch of the Navy you want to have a career in.
      The major change in all services but particularly the Navy is that wearing glasses need not prejudice an operational career choice.

Comment

About time. People were going off getting ultimately harmful laser treatment to pass a medical.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

An eyesight-test anomaly which has been blamed for depleted recruitment in the Naval Service Reserve (NSR) still remains in place, despite promises made nearly a year ago to scrap it.

Comment

Given that the current FOCNS wears spectacles, and has done for the majority of his career, surely this should be an easy fix?

Comment

DFR would require Amendment (as far as I know it’s a DFR not an Admin Inst) so requires a will from the Department (with a very very easy fix) to do a find & replace in a Word document and then find the Minister and for him to sign it.

So far from an easy fix in DoD

Now in fairness much quicker fix than the much more complex R5 (tongue not in cheek) but even basic changes to R5 have been required since 2012 and still not made.

It is a real pity this was not amended pre the new competition...... although maybe just maybe that’s why it isn’t available to apply for yet

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                DFR would require Amendment (as far as I know it’s a DFR not an Admin Inst) so requires a will from the Department (with a very very easy fix) to do a find & replace in a Word document and then find the Minister and for him to sign it.

So far from an easy fix in DoD

Now in fairness much quicker fix than the much more complex R5 (tongue not in cheek) but even basic changes to R5 have been required since 2012 and still not made.

It is a real pity this was not amended pre the new competition...... although maybe just maybe that’s why it isn’t available to apply for yet
                There is a general inertia within Civil Service Departments whereby, modern approaches and conditions of employment are not kept in line with the common international standards, that would for instance, be available by googling or purchasing a copy of the relevant QR and AI on eyesight requirements for all British Services. The question is who owns DFR's and who should see to maintaining their relevance to the modern age . Is it a Department document or a PDF document but whichever it is , it needs updating to meet required acceptable standards. I wore bifocals from age 50 and bumped into nothing or nobody. Just as an aside USAF fighter pilots are fitted with prescription helmet visors so that an eyeglass wearer can be a Top Dog.!!
                Last edited by ancientmariner; 10 March 2019, 20:09.

Comment

Surely the Dept of Transport standard for watchkeepers should be the minimum standard?

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                    There is a general inertia within Civil Service Departments whereby, modern approaches and conditions of employment are not kept in line with the common international standards, that would for instance, be available by googling or purchasing a copy of the relevant QR and AI on eyesight requirements for all British Services. The question is who owns DFR's and who should see to maintaining their relevance to the modern age . Is it a Department document or a PDF document but whichever it is , it needs updating to meet required acceptable standards. I wore bifocals from age 50 and bumped into nothing or nobody. Just as an aside USAF fighter pilots are fitted with prescription helmet visors so that an eyeglass wearer can be a Top Dog.!!
                    It’s well and truly DoD control for DFRs, Admin Instrs is the relevant DCOS, GROs is I think COS

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
                      Surely the Dept of Transport standard for watchkeepers should be the minimum standard?
                      Please refrain from talking sense. It will only make them angry.

Comment

I apologise. What was I thinking. And me a civil servant for 15 odd years..

Comment

port or starboard...red or green... ...jaysus me thinks its blue.....

Comment

According to RDFRA Facebook page, the NSR eyesight requirements have been revised to match the NS

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              According to RDFRA Facebook page, the NSR eyesight requirements have been revised to match the NS
                              Not quite exactly what's happened. All NSR are Seaman's division which requires Grade 1 eyesight. The requirements for the other NS divisions are lower.

NSR recruits (seaman's division by default) now only require the lower visual acuity grade 3. So it's in line with other areas of the NS but now not in line with the same branch in the NS. Should help recruitment though.

Comment

Working...
                              X