Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Naval Recruit Eyesight

    Hi

    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a naval recruit is considered Admin or any branch other than Admin, the reason why I am asking this is that it says the following about the eyesight requirements on the military.ie website

    Naval Service (Admin):

    Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:

    Unaided vision of not less than 6/6 in one eye 6/9 in the other.
    Unaided vision less than 1) above, but which is not less than either 6/12 in each eye OR 6/6 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye.
    Unaided vision of not less than 6/36 in each eye, and can be corrected to not less than 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other.
    Normal colour vision


    Naval Service (Any Branch other than Admin):

    Unaided vision must be not less than 6/6 in one eye 6/9 in the other.
    Night vision must be normal.
    Normal colour vision.
    - See more at: http://www.military.ie/careers/faq/#....tczVwR9e.dpuf

  2. #2
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys

    I was able to get the answer from the recruitement section of the DC. Just incase anyone else has been wondering this is what I was told

    The eyesight requirements for recruits are as follows

    Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:

    Unaided vision of not less than 6/6 in one eye 6/9 in the other.
    Unaided vision less than 1) above, but which is not less than either 6/12 in each eye OR 6/6 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye.
    Unaided vision of not less than 6/36 in each eye, and can be corrected to not less than 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other.
    Normal colour vision

    It is only after you have done your two years that it will then affect you when deciding what branch of the Navy you want to have a career in.

  3. Likes DeV, hptmurphy liked this post
  4. #3
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Vision

    Quote Originally Posted by Teabags View Post
    Hi Guys

    I was able to get the answer from the recruitement section of the DC. Just incase anyone else has been wondering this is what I was told

    The eyesight requirements for recruits are as follows

    Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:

    Unaided vision of not less than 6/6 in one eye 6/9 in the other.
    Unaided vision less than 1) above, but which is not less than either 6/12 in each eye OR 6/6 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye.
    Unaided vision of not less than 6/36 in each eye, and can be corrected to not less than 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other.
    Normal colour vision

    It is only after you have done your two years that it will then affect you when deciding what branch of the Navy you want to have a career in.
    The major change in all services but particularly the Navy is that wearing glasses need not prejudice an operational career choice.

  5. #4
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    About time. People were going off getting ultimately harmful laser treatment to pass a medical.

  6. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  7. #5
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    647
    Post Thanks / Like

  8. #6
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given that the current FOCNS wears spectacles, and has done for the majority of his career, surely this should be an easy fix?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  9. #7
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    DFR would require Amendment (as far as I know it’s a DFR not an Admin Inst) so requires a will from the Department (with a very very easy fix) to do a find & replace in a Word document and then find the Minister and for him to sign it.


    So far from an easy fix in DoD


    Now in fairness much quicker fix than the much more complex R5 (tongue not in cheek) but even basic changes to R5 have been required since 2012 and still not made.




    It is a real pity this was not amended pre the new competition...... although maybe just maybe that’s why it isn’t available to apply for yet

  10. Likes na grohmití liked this post
  11. #8
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    DFR would require Amendment (as far as I know it’s a DFR not an Admin Inst) so requires a will from the Department (with a very very easy fix) to do a find & replace in a Word document and then find the Minister and for him to sign it.


    So far from an easy fix in DoD


    Now in fairness much quicker fix than the much more complex R5 (tongue not in cheek) but even basic changes to R5 have been required since 2012 and still not made.




    It is a real pity this was not amended pre the new competition...... although maybe just maybe that’s why it isn’t available to apply for yet
    There is a general inertia within Civil Service Departments whereby, modern approaches and conditions of employment are not kept in line with the common international standards, that would for instance, be available by googling or purchasing a copy of the relevant QR and AI on eyesight requirements for all British Services. The question is who owns DFR's and who should see to maintaining their relevance to the modern age . Is it a Department document or a PDF document but whichever it is , it needs updating to meet required acceptable standards. I wore bifocals from age 50 and bumped into nothing or nobody. Just as an aside USAF fighter pilots are fitted with prescription helmet visors so that an eyeglass wearer can be a Top Dog.!!
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 10th March 2019 at 19:09.

  12. #9
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surely the Dept of Transport standard for watchkeepers should be the minimum standard?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  13. #10
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    There is a general inertia within Civil Service Departments whereby, modern approaches and conditions of employment are not kept in line with the common international standards, that would for instance, be available by googling or purchasing a copy of the relevant QR and AI on eyesight requirements for all British Services. The question is who owns DFR's and who should see to maintaining their relevance to the modern age . Is it a Department document or a PDF document but whichever it is , it needs updating to meet required acceptable standards. I wore bifocals from age 50 and bumped into nothing or nobody. Just as an aside USAF fighter pilots are fitted with prescription helmet visors so that an eyeglass wearer can be a Top Dog.!!
    It’s well and truly DoD control for DFRs, Admin Instrs is the relevant DCOS, GROs is I think COS

  14. #11
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
    Surely the Dept of Transport standard for watchkeepers should be the minimum standard?
    Please refrain from talking sense. It will only make them angry.

  15. Likes na grohmití liked this post
  16. #12
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    I apologise. What was I thinking. And me a civil servant for 15 odd years..
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  17. #13
    bosun
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    cork
    Posts
    1,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    port or starboard...red or green... ...jaysus me thinks its blue.....

  18. #14
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to RDFRA Facebook page, the NSR eyesight requirements have been revised to match the NS

  19. #15
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    According to RDFRA Facebook page, the NSR eyesight requirements have been revised to match the NS
    Not quite exactly what's happened. All NSR are Seaman's division which requires Grade 1 eyesight. The requirements for the other NS divisions are lower.

    NSR recruits (seaman's division by default) now only require the lower visual acuity grade 3. So it's in line with other areas of the NS but now not in line with the same branch in the NS. Should help recruitment though.

  20. Thanks DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
  21. #16
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Not quite exactly what's happened. All NSR are Seaman's division which requires Grade 1 eyesight. The requirements for the other NS divisions are lower.

    NSR recruits (seaman's division by default) now only require the lower visual acuity grade 3. So it's in line with other areas of the NS but now not in line with the same branch in the NS. Should help recruitment though.
    Eyesight for NS Seaman's branch has also been reduced to grade 3 by an amendment to Admin instruction A10. The NS and NSR are fully in synch on this matter.

  22. Thanks DeV, Auldsod thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  23. #17
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggie View Post
    Eyesight for NS Seaman's branch has also been reduced to grade 3 by an amendment to Admin instruction A10. The NS and NSR are fully in synch on this matter.
    I wasn't aware that the NS Seaman's branch had also changed. It certainly makes sense for a number of reasons.

    - A variance with the NSR was never going to helpful going forward. No 'lower standard'.
    - Better for recruiting.
    - Realistically vision can be corrected and many in for a few years will find their vision will move out of the initial high standard with time anyway.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •